Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Home protection while drinking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 559 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 317

I use coasters for home defense while drinking. It keeps my furniture safe and sound while drinking

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #22

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

After the fact, I would put the gun down and pour myself a stiff one and say "wow! that was stressful - I need a drink" vs. holding the gun in one hand and a beer in the other; talking with your hands while being questioned by an authority. lol! THAT may make a difference.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7332 Times on 4250 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterofAres View Post
After the fact, I would put the gun down and pour myself a stiff one and say "wow! that was stressful - I need a drink" vs. holding the gun in one hand and a beer in the other; talking with your hands while being questioned by an authority. lol! THAT may make a difference.
You bring up a good point. Call 911 and report the shoot, then tell the 911 operator that you need a drink and set the phone down. Plausible deniability that you started drinking to calm your nerves after the shooting!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #24

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

The whole premise of the OP is ridiculous. If you are threatened in your home by someone who has no business being there it doesn't make a damn what the law says, you protect yourself with any means necessary, and sort out the legalities later.

I don't worry about such scenarios, if you come into my home, uninvited, you are in Willkillya County as far as I am concerned. The best l advice I can give you is buy Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership, and don't seek legal advice on the internet.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #25

Liked 1724 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Knowing that you are drinking, knowing that alcohol can cause diarrhea of the mouth, and knowing that the cops are going to question you, maybe you need to appoint a designated shooter.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4559 Times on 2290 Posts
Likes Given: 4701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The whole premise of the OP is ridiculous. If you are threatened in your home by someone who has no business being there it doesn't make a damn what the law says, you protect yourself with any means necessary, and sort out the legalities later.

I don't worry about such scenarios, if you come into my home, uninvited, you are in Willkillya County as far as I am concerned. The best l advice I can give you is buy Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership, and don't seek legal advice on the internet.
Thats right where I was gonna drag this thread. I dont know FL Law but I know that the law of the jungle is still king of the jungle. Shoot first and save your life, just be damn sure its righteous or your intoxication will go directly to how your judged.

I guess I would add that I would question my own judgement if I were drunk so maybe its best to stick with a couple beers if your in a place you think might be dangerous. If thats the norm, you might move where you dont have much to worry about.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterofAres View Post
We had a guy in MI that pulled his firearm in self defense. Went home and had more than a couple. Unfortunately, he is doing time now. It's a convoluted case, but the alcohol did not help his "story"

Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Question for those of you familiar with Florida law.

Can you legally defend yourself at home using a deadly weapon while intoxicated/drinking in the state of Florida?

I have my CHL from Texas and although you cannot be legally in possession of a firearm if you have had a single drink of alcohol while out in public, you can be hugging the toilet drunk and still defend yourself from a violent attacker in your home according to the law in Texas. Does anyone know if Florida's "Stand your ground rule" is similar to this?
This statute answers your question

Quote:
790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
(1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.
(2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.
(3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.
(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
CJx

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
This statute answers your question
I do not see any exemptions from this law, however, is a misdemeanor worth losing your life over?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
I do not see any exemptions from this law, however, is a misdemeanor worth losing your life over?
Read number 5