Home protection while drinking - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Home protection while drinking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1188 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I think this is hypothetical.
so was my answer

If you're drinking, your actions are going to go under a microscope.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3042 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I do not know who told you that you cannot carry if you have consumed ONE drink. NOTHING in the law says that. It says you cannot carry if you are intoxicated. That is .08% under Texas law.

As others have stated, a good shoot is a good shoot. Alcohol will be taken into consideration if the shoot is questionable.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3439 Times on 1963 Posts
Likes Given: 2298

The only time I know of, as a civilian, you are required to take a BAC test, is if you are behind the wheel of a vehicle and you do not want to lose your driving privileges, due to the implied consent laws.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Question for those of you familiar with Florida law.

Can you legally defend yourself at home using a deadly weapon while intoxicated/drinking in the state of Florida?

I have my CHL from Texas and although you cannot be legally in possession of a firearm if you have had a single drink of alcohol while out in public, you can be hugging the toilet drunk and still defend yourself from a violent attacker in your home according to the law in Texas. Does anyone know if Florida's "Stand your ground rule" is similar to this?
The key here is that you are home, in your stand your ground zone, just make damn sure is your home you are in before you shoot the intruder and is actually an intruder not the plumber

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #15

Liked 1261 Times on 841 Posts
Likes Given: 827

Quote:
Alcohol will be taken into consideration if the shoot is questionable.
The presence of alcohol in your blood will probably MAKE the shooting questionable. IMHO.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Liked 325 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If your drinking, first make sure you are in the right house. ("Now when did I buy that Remington").

As far as law suits, the perp's mother will always sue.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Of course now days lawsuits are a given. That is why I am a member of USLawShield.

BTW I like your play on Florida's recent media/shooting story.

What I am simply asking is, if I were at home and I had any amount of alcohol and somebody busted through my front door in a violent manner (and I was in fear for my life), would I legally be able to defend myself using whatever weapon available including a handgun?
The use of alcohol and utilizing the Castle Doctrine is not addressed under Florida law.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6332 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 464

You guys are in florida I'm in wisconsin, but a good shoot is a good shoot. Alcohol consumption will make it muuuuuch harder to justify your actions regardless of circumstance. Its just the nature of taking any action while intoxicated, other than sleeping watching tv or yakking in a toilet, suspect.

The key to all things in life is moderation. If you choose to imbibe the grape and something does occur you can certainly expect a full investigation in depth and possibly a trip to central booking castle doctrine or not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #19

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

I'd imagine you could legally defend yourself, even while intoxicate, as long as in the trial you could prove that you still made a good decision and had reasonable cause to use deadly force. You'd just have to convince the jury that you didn't just gun someone down because you were drunk.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Let me ask you this. Would you stand there and let yourself be killed just because you had a few beers?
I agree with this. In my opinion, if someone is attacking you or has a gun, it's better to deal with a lawsuit and defend your actions, than to be hurt or killed. That being said, I do not know the law and nothing I say should be taken as fact in any decision you or anyone makes.

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views, and why conservatives don't conserve crap.