Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Fun & Sun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Default Fun & Sun

Just thought I’d post a note to the Floridians on the site for information on some of your local attractions. I’m flying in to Jacksonville with the wife to spend some time on the beach and checkout the local attractions and maybe get some fishing worked in! We have reservations at the Seaside Amelia Inn on Amelia island from 7/31 thru 8/4 so if anyone wants to suggest where to find good eats and any fun stuff just send it my way…

Thanks for any help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't get up to Amelia Island much, but the resorts up there are nice. There's also Fernandina Beach nearby, with lots of places to eat and drink.

There's an indoor range nearby, called Second Amendment Outfitters, if you're bringing something to shoot.

The resorts themselves will hook you up with stuff like kayaking, horseback riding and such.

Is there anything specific you're looking to do?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse944
Just thought I’d post a note to the Floridians on the site for information on some of your local attractions. I’m flying in to Jacksonville with the wife to spend some time on the beach and checkout the local attractions and maybe get some fishing worked in! We have reservations at the Seaside Amelia Inn on Amelia island from 7/31 thru 8/4 so if anyone wants to suggest where to find good eats and any fun stuff just send it my way…

Thanks for any help!

Even though I've been to Amelia Island several times I'm not to familiar with good places to eat on the island but over in Jacksonville, now that's another story. Try to visit St. John Square, it's an open mall with places to eat like Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs and an awesome Mexican bistro called Cantina Laredo that even had live music several times a week. I have been told that on the island there are several family type restaurants. I'm sure your going to have a great time. Enjoy and be assured I'm green with envy. Lol.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
Even though I've been to Amelia Island several times I'm not to familiar with good places to eat on the island but over in Jacksonville, now that's another story. Try to visit St. John Square, it's an open mall with places to eat like Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs and an awesome Mexican bistro called Cantina Laredo that even had live music several times a week. I have been told that on the island there are several family type restaurants. I'm sure your going to have a great time. Enjoy and be assured I'm green with envy. Lol.

Is there still a Sticky Fingers BBQ place in Jax?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

A visit to the oldest city in the USA is worth your time, St. Augustine is a neat place with lots of history. That was my honeymoon destination in 1983.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 344 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Thanks for the tips! My last trip to Florida we were snorkeling down in the middle Keys and was one of the best vacations I've had.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

You might want to plan a day trip to Savannah while you're here. The historic area is beautiful. At this time you might want to avoid Jacksonville beach. Tensions are high right now. That doesn't mean you should stay north of the Mayport ferry. Atlantic beach is okay, and one of my favorite spots in that area is the Ragtime Tavern. LINK

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
You might want to plan a day trip to Savannah while you're here. The historic area is beautiful. At this time you might want to avoid Jacksonville beach. Tensions are high right now. That doesn't mean you should stay north of the Mayport ferry. Atlantic beach is okay, and one of my favorite spots in that area is the Ragtime Tavern. LINK
On a scale of 1-10 how high would you say the tensions actually are?
I have had job offers from Jacksonville to Fort Myers. Any place any safer than others? I'm Suppose to head out tonight & arrive Sunday night.
Great timing on my end? :-/

Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
On a scale of 1-10 how high would you say the tensions actually are?
I have had job offers from Jacksonville to Fort Myers. Any place any safer than others? I'm Suppose to head out tonight & arrive Sunday night.
Great timing on my end? :-/
If you can give me a rough address or area of where the job is I can help you more. You can PM that if you want to.

Some parts of town you don't go to unless you can blend in. Other parts are fine. In any case stay out of the west side and the northwest parts of town. Even if you blend in it's still not that safe. The far south side and the areas near the beaches are generally okay. There is an area of Jax Beach that you want to stay out of, especially on holiday weekends. That's east of 3rd street.

Newest Threads