Conceal Carry Question?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Conceal Carry Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Conceal Carry Question?

I'm reading the book "Florida Firearms 7th edition, by Jon H. Gutmacher."
It is a great book and clearly explains 98% of the questions any Florida gun owner may have.
My problem is, I can't seem to clarify one concealed carry question: if you are carrying a handgun in your vehicle with a valid CCW permit, can you have it in an unsnapped holster concealed on your person?
The law seems to state that in a vehicle a weapon must be "securely encased." At the least it must be in a snapped holster.
Unfortunately, I carry a Springfield XD and a strap would activate the grip safety. CAN ANYONE ADVISE?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by themike13
It is a great book and clearly explains 98% of the questions any Florida gun owner may have.
My problem is, I can't seem to clarify one concealed carry question: if you are carrying a handgun in your vehicle with a valid CCW permit, can you have it in an unsnapped holster concealed on your person?
The law seems to state that in a vehicle a weapon must be "securely encased." At the least it must be in a snapped holster.
Unfortunately, I carry a Springfield XD and a strap would activate the grip safety. CAN ANYONE ADVISE?
I live in Florida, when I carry it stays on my person in a hybrid holster with no strap. I'm not going to remove/put on my carry firearm everytime I get in and out of the car. It's not a vehicle gun it's my carry firearm. Maybe if it was stored in the car, but like you said that would depress your safety makin it an unsafe firearm.

Last edited by gladesbassin; 10-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #3

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Read the law more closely.

In a motor vehicle it has to be

covered, snapped, zipped,etc.

Do you have an article of clothing

OVER your CC?

Then it's COVERED...

IANAL, but here in the Sunshine State, the

cops aren't going to go out of their way to

bust your pahookie about every last crossed

T and dotted I.

If you show a reasonable level of discretion,

you have a much better chance of waking up,

on the back porch, with a gator chawing on your

leg, than getting hassled by LE.

Last edited by therewolf; 10-10-2012 at 11:20 PM.
canebrake Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1284 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Be careful in Hillsborough County (Tampa). They have lost enough LEOs the last two years that they are pickey.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Show respect, get respect.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3052 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

When one is carrying, obeying the laws is crucial.

Don't get pulled over for doing something stupid, and most will not bother with you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Most LEOs I've talked too just don't want to see it readily accessible. Such as-concealed, in glove box, trunk, center console are all ok. Tampa/Orlando has lost quite a few LEOs recently, but the cops around there have always been cool to me. Just show respect and you will avoid the "attitude check".

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by themike13 View Post

I'm no lawyer but yes if it is on your person it is subject to the same CC law as if you were out walking around. In your vehicle without CCP you are not allowed to conceal a firearm or weapon on your person. I carry in a IWB with no snap all the time.

In vehicle the weapon must be holstered or glove box , center console. Any manner where the gun cannot be readily picked up and fired. I however have never heard it must be a snapped holster. Regardless that term only applies to the manner it is concealed in vehicle not on person.

And that " must be 3 steps before able to fire " myth is is just that a myth. Your weapon can be condition zero as long as it is " securely encased "

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
if you are carrying a handgun in your vehicle with a valid CCW permit, can you have it in an unsnapped holster concealed on your person?
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
That is for people carrying in a car that do not have a concealed weapons permit.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
And that " must be 3 steps before able to fire " myth is is just that a myth. Your weapon can be condition zero as long as it is " securely encased "
Thanks for bringing that up. In Florida, according to a retired LEO that taught our concealed weapons class, the three steps rule is in fact a myth, and according to him the "securely" part is in the eyes of the LEO. He advised us to tell anyone we knew that carried in the vehicle without a valid permit to copy the following statute and have it with them at all times.

Quote:
790.25 (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
Some LEO's will accept wrapped in a towel, others will require something with a lid or door between you and the weapon. The towel is really NOT a good idea, but the console or glove compartment seem to be universally acceptable unless you are committing another criminal act at the time.