Are zombies bad for America? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Are zombies bad for America?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

OK, Zombie Land gets a pass, even if they did croak Bill. But can we end it with them?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #32

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
I think if you will read a little history slavery existed in the New World for 300 years before there was an American Home rule. It was closed in most of the country by 1860. Millions of those awful white Christians gave there fortunes and lives to end the practice.
Again, just stop already.. You're and embarrassment, nothing you say justifies anything to anyone but you.

This line if discussion is irrelevant and way off topic. Good day.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #33

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=2372897.proteus .fma

Is watching "The Walking Dead" seriously hurting American society?

I would argue 'Yes.' Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed, but there is one common theme that is pervasive in American pop culture today: violence. Even more specifically, zombie violence. The idea of a zombie-infested world inspires fantasies of monsters possessed by an uncontrollable rage to kill, and viewers get a thrill imagining what it would be like to participate in this new world order.

We also see this zombie obsession in many videogames. Even more disturbingly, these games create environments for young children, in which they are exposed to an imaginary world where they get to play with firearms and place themselves in dangerous situations that they find exciting. And studies have shown that these videogames can sometimes condition people, especially young children, to be apathetic towards violence. That's why they're labeled M for Mature.

This obsession with the undead in television and other media is quite puzzling. The concept of zombies has been around for decades, and their mythology has even been studied by scientists to prove that such an outbreak can never occur. Yet, whether it be in books or film, zombie popularity has only increased after having originally been popularized by the 1960s film, "The Night of the Living Dead."

Now, it seems that zombies on television are part of our daily routine. The obsession also permeates into other facets of our lives, such as with so-called Zombie Runs, in which people dressed as zombies chase other "civilians" to make them run faster towards the finish line. Even scientists at the National Institutes of Health have spent time creating an apocalyptic how-to guide on dealing with a zombie outbreak.

Give me a break. As a doctor and scientist, I know one thing for sure: When you're dead, you're dead. Our brains should be less focused on imaginary zombie hoards and more focused on harnessing the tools that we need in order to enhance our lives, whether it be music, education, science or the classics. Entertainment should help us soothe our brains so that we can ease our minds of some of the stress from our daily lives.

With this country heading towards a socialized system of government, in which officials don't want you to think or focus on what is important for your own personal growth, I'm sure they're more than happy to let you obsess over something as stupid as zombies.

And in turn, you ultimately become the zombie.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Stop obsessing over eating brains, and focus on cultivating your own.

Food and Circus?

Carl Sagan

Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #34

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Zombies are just the latest fad. They will fade, and I doubt they will do much damage or any good for society in the meantime. Fads like this used to be for children only, but now they have adult followings as well. I don't get that.

I simply don't have time for zombies, zombie TV shows or Zombie movies. While I do enjoy good science fiction, such as Asimov or Arthur Clarke wrote, fantasy, has never done anything for me. Neither do I have time for the "reality" programs on TV. I may be the only man in America who has not seen either a zombie, Survivor, Big Brother, or the other low-budget "reality" show.

I will shortly go to bed with a damn good history book. Tonight I will be on the Eastern Front with a German sniper. (no commercial interruptions) Within an hour I will be cold and hungry. I find history and reality much more interesting than boogey men.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #35

Liked 987 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 796

They are called liberals, commies, Odumbo supporters, progresives in today's world so yea they are horrible for the country.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1172 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Zombies are certainly bad...
Their insatiable desire for living flesh would be a PR nightmare!

Seriously, I have stated somewhere...maybe here...that with the exception of setting up an I Am Legend lab, any preparations for zombie apocalypse would serve most any other apocalypse, and are therefore productive.
It is, iIMO, a national effort to mitigate certain uneasy vibes.....waiting for the other shoe to drop....that have clouded our National horizon.
Anyone paying attention could be concerned that terrorism, infringements on rights, monetary collapse, world war, natural disaster, or even zombies will end the relative security our lives have come to expect. As long as it helps you think past today, outside of your comfortable routine, and consider your dependencies then I guess it's worth the gore...