Are zombies bad for America? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Are zombies bad for America?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=2372897.proteus .fma

Is watching "The Walking Dead" seriously hurting American society?

I would argue 'Yes.' Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed, but there is one common theme that is pervasive in American pop culture today: violence. Even more specifically, zombie violence. The idea of a zombie-infested world inspires fantasies of monsters possessed by an uncontrollable rage to kill, and viewers get a thrill imagining what it would be like to participate in this new world order.

We also see this zombie obsession in many videogames. Even more disturbingly, these games create environments for young children, in which they are exposed to an imaginary world where they get to play with firearms and place themselves in dangerous situations that they find exciting. And studies have shown that these videogames can sometimes condition people, especially young children, to be apathetic towards violence. That's why they're labeled M for Mature.

This obsession with the undead in television and other media is quite puzzling. The concept of zombies has been around for decades, and their mythology has even been studied by scientists to prove that such an outbreak can never occur. Yet, whether it be in books or film, zombie popularity has only increased after having originally been popularized by the 1960s film, "The Night of the Living Dead."

Now, it seems that zombies on television are part of our daily routine. The obsession also permeates into other facets of our lives, such as with so-called Zombie Runs, in which people dressed as zombies chase other "civilians" to make them run faster towards the finish line. Even scientists at the National Institutes of Health have spent time creating an apocalyptic how-to guide on dealing with a zombie outbreak.

Give me a break. As a doctor and scientist, I know one thing for sure: When you're dead, you're dead. Our brains should be less focused on imaginary zombie hoards and more focused on harnessing the tools that we need in order to enhance our lives, whether it be music, education, science or the classics. Entertainment should help us soothe our brains so that we can ease our minds of some of the stress from our daily lives.

With this country heading towards a socialized system of government, in which officials don't want you to think or focus on what is important for your own personal growth, I'm sure they're more than happy to let you obsess over something as stupid as zombies.

And in turn, you ultimately become the zombie.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Stop obsessing over eating brains, and focus on cultivating your own.
Yea Jim! Now all of you watch what you please cause it's your remote, but I'm sick of every damn show on tv having to have a corpse on a slab in some state of disarry. I'm sick of everybody on tv being a cop or hanger on and damn I'm sick of zombies and vampires. Pop culture is in love with death, decay and violence but god help us if we happen to see Janets' boob on tv, that might warp us for life. Thank god for "Fast and Loud" and "Duck Dynasty".

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I love a good violent shootemup show or movie. It helps me unwind after a long day at work. I usually end up laughing at the hopelessly bad tactics, terminology and weapons that Hollywood is full of. And it fires my imagination at work.

For a cop, everything eventually becomes "routine" and routine means relaxed and relaxed eventually means dead. But when I watch those crazy shows or movies, I find it easier to pay attention to my surroundings, check my weapons, note where the entrances are and where the concealment and cover is in a room. And I find it easier to pay attention to the people im dealing with.

Don't get me wrong. Would I ever jump over a moving vehicle and attempt to flip through the air and shoot the driver through the ceiling of his car? Heck no! But it sure is fun to watch! And it does make me think about how I would handle it if someone tried to run me over. Which has happened to cops before.

As far as zombies go, eh.... I liked it better when Alias was on TV and the enemy was a fake spy agency. Or the Russians.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Yes they are just look at congress and the presidency...
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
the bigger problem is the crumbing of the american family and the absence of male role models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
I don't think we should have to censor our entertainment because of how it may cause a select few to act. People who are violent by nature are going to find justification and encouragement for their actions regardless of what shows the watch or games that they play. These people could just as easily be inspired to do terrible things by looking at a history book. Also, if you are prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you are prepared for anything IMO. If these stupid tv shows make people become prepared for disaster, even if it is a unrealistic one, then something good has come out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Let's stop fighting this in wrong direction and start looking at ourselves as parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, sisters and brothers and take responsibly, stop depending on others(tv, movies, games) to teach and raise our kids.
I agree with all of the above, 100%. The degradation of family values in society is the real problem. Let's accept responsibility for our actions, or lackthereof, and say those of us who are bad parents and role models are the issue. IMO, most problems in society could be solved by starting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I was merely answering the OP's question!
I'm not sure if you are under this impression or not, but I want to clarify. The OP's post was copied and pasted entirely from the article he linked. He didn't actually ask any question from himself in there.

I don't want anyone to think Jim believes something he may or may not believe, unless he explicitly states it.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #25

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

The concept of a zombie is prevalent in religion, specifically Christianity. Being risen from the dead happened many times in the bible (e.g. Lazarus and Jesus, although I don't remember anything about NOT eating brains &#128518. Their are also witches, I've heard stories about missionaries watching people rise from death through "black magic" (or through the devil's power, if you believe in that stuff (and I do)).

Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

I agree with all of the above, 100%. The degradation of family values in society is the real problem. Let's accept responsibility for our actions, or lackthereof, and say those of us who are bad parents and role models are the issue. IMO, most problems in society could be solved by starting there.

I'm not sure if you are under this impression or not, but I want to clarify. The OP's post was copied and pasted entirely from the article he linked. He didn't actually ask any question from himself in there.

I don't want anyone to think Jim believes something he may or may not believe, unless he explicitly states it.
ya, when I posted that I hadn't had any sleep and wasnt in my right mind. I should have explained in the first post how I don't have a problem with zombies, violent movies and video games or anything like that. Just that it would probably do people some good if instead of watching TV for hours on end or playing games if they read a book, got outside and spend some time in the sunlight, or did something productive.
p35bhp55 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #27

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984
ya, when I posted that I hadn't had any sleep and wasnt in my right mind. I should have explained in the first post how I don't have a problem with zombies, violent movies and video games or anything like that. Just that it would probably do people some good if instead of watching TV for hours on end or playing games if they read a book, got outside and spend some time in the sunlight, or did something productive.
I'm with you 100% on that!

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #28

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

At least here in Australia we're getting a good laugh out of all this "Zombie invasion" preparations a lot of you Yanks are into.
My son bought a box of 30/30 Zombie ammo a fair while ago and we tried it on a heap of Zombie Pigs in his Rossi L/A 30/30 and it worked well killing a few of these Zombie Pigs with the 160gn Green BT's quite dead.

I really recommend watching "Zombie Land" with Woody Harrelson in it a genuine look at how a Zombie annilihation operation should be launched and conducted.
img_1067.jpg  

Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #29

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I think if you will read a little history slavery existed in the New World for 300 years before there was an American Home rule. It was closed in most of the country by 1860. Millions of those awful white Christians gave there fortunes and lives to end the practice.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
I really recommend watching "Zombie Land" with Woody Harrelson in it a genuine look at how a Zombie annilihation operation should be launched and conducted.
I love that movie. Its hilarious.