Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Are zombies bad for America? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/zombies-bad-america-99021/)

jimogden1984 10-17-2013 11:01 AM

Are zombies bad for America?

http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=2372897.proteus .fma

Is watching "The Walking Dead" seriously hurting American society?

I would argue 'Yes.' Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed, but there is one common theme that is pervasive in American pop culture today: violence. Even more specifically, zombie violence. The idea of a zombie-infested world inspires fantasies of monsters possessed by an uncontrollable rage to kill, and viewers get a thrill imagining what it would be like to participate in this new world order.

We also see this zombie obsession in many videogames. Even more disturbingly, these games create environments for young children, in which they are exposed to an imaginary world where they get to play with firearms and place themselves in dangerous situations that they find exciting. And studies have shown that these videogames can sometimes condition people, especially young children, to be apathetic towards violence. That's why they're labeled M for Mature.

This obsession with the undead in television and other media is quite puzzling. The concept of zombies has been around for decades, and their mythology has even been studied by scientists to prove that such an outbreak can never occur. Yet, whether it be in books or film, zombie popularity has only increased after having originally been popularized by the 1960s film, "The Night of the Living Dead."

Now, it seems that zombies on television are part of our daily routine. The obsession also permeates into other facets of our lives, such as with so-called Zombie Runs, in which people dressed as zombies chase other "civilians" to make them run faster towards the finish line. Even scientists at the National Institutes of Health have spent time creating an apocalyptic how-to guide on dealing with a zombie outbreak.

Give me a break. As a doctor and scientist, I know one thing for sure: When you're dead, you're dead. Our brains should be less focused on imaginary zombie hoards and more focused on harnessing the tools that we need in order to enhance our lives, whether it be music, education, science or the classics. Entertainment should help us soothe our brains so that we can ease our minds of some of the stress from our daily lives.

With this country heading towards a socialized system of government, in which officials don't want you to think or focus on what is important for your own personal growth, I'm sure they're more than happy to let you obsess over something as stupid as zombies.

And in turn, you ultimately become the zombie.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Stop obsessing over eating brains, and focus on cultivating your own.

Mason609 10-17-2013 11:58 AM

The concept of Zombies has been around for much longer than "decades". So, minus 1000 points for lack of research.

The NIH and CDC have put out "Zombie preparedness" guides that are nothing more than basic emergency plans - in hopes that more people will be better prepared of, say, another Katrina or another Sandy or any other natural disaster. If you read more into the websites on the purposes for this, you would see that - and that it's actually getting out to many more people than previously. Minus another 1000 points for (again) lack of research.

The "violent tv, movies and video games cause violence" studies aren't 100% truthful. Like most studies/polls, they are made and spun to get the results they are looking for. There are plenty of other studies proving them to be wrong.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/09/18/violence-video-games-a-weak-meaningless-correlation/

On a side note, a statement from a member of SCOTUS....

Quote:

"Psychological studies purporting to show a connection between exposure to violent video games and harmful effects on children do not prove that such exposure causes minors to act aggressively."

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, majority opinion in Brown v. EMA/ESA
Unless you only look up a few "studies" and don't bother verifying their validity.

For continuing lack of research, I'm going to minus another 100,000 points.

Also, on none of these Zombie runs has anybody resorted to any kind of violent actions (like someone actually severely injuring or killing a participant dressed as a zombie).

I don't hate you, nor do I think you are paranoid. I do, however, KNOW you are misinformed and think that you lack the drive to do the appropriate level of research (or, you are blatantly excluding any findings that don't support your fallacy).

hawkguy 10-17-2013 12:16 PM

i agree somewhat, but zombies aren't as much a problem as zombie parents!

it shouldn't matter if super violent shows are available, a decent parent should be screening their kids form violent movies and games. it isn't hard, my parents just sent sent me to the room when they needed to. :confused:

our culture praises and glorifies violence, but this isn't a new development. the vicious and evil mafia gangsters of the 30's were and still are pop culture heroes. we were always fascinated with cowboy shoot outs in the old west! now it has just switched to gang banging culture and violent movies and video games.

the bigger problem is the crumbing of the american family and the absence of male role models. one might go ahead and throw in mood altering drugs to the sh!tpile!

movies and games and even pop culture WILL NOT trump a good family environment 95% of the time.

as far as a negative impact and being brain numbing to the populace in general, well.....the next survivor or american idol waits to do that. zombies are just the latest fade in the chain of brain numbing distractions, after the zombie buzz is long one, there will be some other creation on the idiot tube to waste our lives away.

and i kinda like the walking dead.....

Mason609 10-17-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1404213)
i agree somewhat, but zombies aren't as much a problem as zombie parents!

it shouldn't matter if super violent shows are available, a decent parent should be screening their kids form violent movies and games. it isn't hard, my parents just sent sent me to the room when they needed to. :confused:

our culture praises and glorifies violence, but this isn't a new development. the vicious and evil mafia gangsters of the 30's were and still are pop culture heroes. we were always fascinated with cowboy shoot outs in the old west! now it has just switched to gang banging culture and violent movies and video games.

the bigger problem is the crumbing of the american family and the absence of male role models. one might go ahead and throw in mood altering drugs to the sh!tpile!

movies and games and even pop culture WILL NOT trump a good family environment 95% of the time.

I know many people, to include myself, that grew up watching violent movies that have never turned violent. My parents divorced when I was little, and I spent most of my pre-teen life going between living with either parent, my grandparents or and aunt or uncle, basically, my home life wasn't ideal. And yes, I got to watch all the scary, bloody, violent movies I wanted. And I turned out to be a well adjusted young man.

I do agree that youth violence has more to do with parenting than it does with entertainment, but it's not so much parents letting their kids watch/play violent media, as it is actual disciplining them (time outs don't work).

bluez 10-17-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609 (Post 1404202)
The concept of Zombies has been around for much longer than "decades". So, minus 1000 points for lack of research.

The NIH and CDC have put out "Zombie preparedness" guides that are nothing more than basic emergency plans - in hopes that more people will be better prepared of, say, another Katrina or another Sandy or any other natural disaster. If you read more into the websites on the purposes for this, you would see that - and that it's actually getting out to many more people than previously. Minus another 1000 points for (again) lack of research.

The "violent tv, movies and video games cause violence" studies aren't 100% truthful. Like most studies/polls, they are made and spun to get the results they are looking for. There are plenty of other studies proving them to be wrong.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/09/18/violence-video-games-a-weak-meaningless-correlation/

On a side note, a statement from a member of SCOTUS....

Unless you only look up a few "studies" and don't bother verifying their validity.

For continuing lack of research, I'm going to minus another 100,000 points.

Also, on none of these Zombie runs has anybody resorted to any kind of violent actions (like someone actually severely injuring or killing a participant dressed as a zombie).

I don't hate you, nor do I think you are paranoid. I do, however, KNOW you are misinformed and think that you lack the drive to do the appropriate level of research (or, you are blatantly excluding any findings that don't support your fallacy).

When SCOTUS says something isnt "proven" for lega; purposes that doesnt mean it isnt so. "Proven" is a very high bar to meet.

jimogden1984 10-17-2013 12:49 PM

It's just something I saw on the Fox News website and found interesting. I like the walking dead and shows like it as much as anyone. The point I paid the most attention to is how people need to get off the couch and do something with their mind other than play video games all day and watch TV. I don't believe that the games create real life violence.

hawkguy 10-17-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez (Post 1404223)
When SCOTUS says something isnt "proven" for lega; purposes that doesnt mean it isnt so. "Proven" is a very high bar to meet.

well said. for every argument, there is a counter argument. especially in a field which can become somewhat subjective, like psychology.

hawkguy 10-17-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimogden1984 (Post 1404233)
It's just something I saw on the Fox News website and found interesting. I like the walking dead and shows like it as much as anyone. The point I paid the most attention to is how people need to get off the couch and do something with their mind other than play video games all day and watch TV. I don't believe that the games create real life violence.

i agree, but isn't this more a statement against ALL distractions that create a sedimentary and mind numbing lifestyle?

this extends WAY beyond zombies, which are the flavor of the month.

and i honestly DO think violent games and movies can encourage violent behavior in the the RIGHT individual.....but i also think strong family support would normally counter act that effect.

hawkguy 10-17-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609 (Post 1404221)
I know many people, to include myself, that grew up watching violent movies that have never turned violent. My parents divorced when I was little, and I spent most of my pre-teen life going between living with either parent, my grandparents or and aunt or uncle, basically, my home life wasn't ideal. And yes, I got to watch all the scary, bloody, violent movies I wanted. And I turned out to be a well adjusted young man.

I do agree that youth violence has more to do with parenting than it does with entertainment, but it's not so much parents letting their kids watch/play violent media, as it is actual disciplining them (time outs don't work).

add me to the list! my parent would let me watch movies with people hacking each other to pieces, but would often make me leave at the slightest hint of nudity.....:confused:....funny, but i feel completely the opposite about my kids.

i feel ANY discipline is better than NO discipline, as long as it comes from loving your children and teaching them right from wrong....one of the biggest problems today....blaming everyone and everything else for your kid's behavior.

also open communication with your children helps a lot....statements like "you know this isn't real" and "in real life killing is much different" while you are watching something violent is also very important imo.

magnumman 10-17-2013 01:09 PM

I don't think we should have to censor our entertainment because of how it may cause a select few to act. People who are violent by nature are going to find justification and encouragement for their actions regardless of what shows the watch or games that they play. These people could just as easily be inspired to do terrible things by looking at a history book.

Also, if you are prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you are prepared for anything IMO. If these stupid tv shows make people become prepared for disaster, even if it is a unrealistic one, then something good has come out of it.