Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   The Club House (
-   -   Your Thoughts (

aussierogue 01-26-2008 03:13 AM

Your Thoughts
This is off BATFE's website how do you read it as I'm in this boat and have been told a lot of different things and I'd like your thoughts on it

B13) May aliens legally in the United States buy firearms?[Back]

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaserís place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

bkt 01-26-2008 01:03 PM

It sounds fine. Provided you have a government-issued photo ID (do you?) and you can prove you've been living in one state for more than three months, you should be able to buy a firearm, and it's probably limited to a long gun (shotgun or rifle).

I expect you'd need to investigate the laws in your state with regard to handguns and any additional restrictions they might have.

Call your county clerk's office (or equivalent) or stop down for a visit with the BATFE stuff printed out to show them. Present your ID and proof of residence stuff and ask them if there are any additional requirements you need to meet.

The trick might be actually buying a firearm. Some folks might not want to sell you anything out of ignorance of the law and fear of ending up in prison if they sell to the wrong person (that's how it works in New York State, anyway).

Righteous 01-26-2008 02:46 PM

I sell firearms to them all the time in the store , if they have a Alabama drivers license and they can show they been in the state 90 consecutive days and have there INS card ....Yes they may Buy one, the 90 day proof must be land tied utility bill etc. or something from there address. They must do the 4473 and we make copys of everything else to go in the files with it.

Boris 01-26-2008 03:30 PM

When I was residing for a short while in Texas I had at that time a B1/B2 which limited me to a 6 month stay, afterwhich I must return to Europe, but allowed to return to continue to conduct business. My business which was and still is canine law enforcement related was UK based corporate company,and I working for it operated the training centre in the US. I had a lawyer working for visa at the time (a waste of time more like). We decided reluctantly to move back to Europe......

I was informed when needing to purchase a cheap (S&W Pump) shotgun for demo and training that I need a full residency card to buy the gun. I had home there, for which I paid taxes, the training centre, for which I paid taxes and employed a US national. But could get a gun, I was a little disappointed to say the least but the law is the law I guess and being a foreign national Ican't moan about someone else's law.....

Tony Soprano 01-27-2008 12:47 PM

I have no problem with that and our founders of this great nation wouldn't have any problems either,the key phrase is An alien legally in the U.S ;)

moviezombie 01-27-2008 06:39 PM

no problem with it.

movie zombie

pioneer461 01-29-2008 10:09 PM

Remember during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles in 1992?

Remember the LAPD refusing to enter the riot area, leaving the law abiding citizens to fend for themselves?

Remember the Korean store owners on their roofs, with rifles and pistols defending their property?

For some reason, the Korean businesses were not bothered.

I see no problem with legal aliens having the means to defend themselves.

matt g 01-30-2008 12:58 AM

The Second Amendment is in place to protect citizens and their rights, it does not apply to those who are not citizens of the US. If foreign nationals wish to purchase and posses arms in the US, they can become citizens.

MarkoPo 01-30-2008 01:27 AM

Sounds like a well written law. If they follow the rules, there should be no problems. If we move to Canada or Mexico we have to follow their rules. Fair is fair.

bkt 01-30-2008 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by matt g (Post 15215)
The Second Amendment is in place to protect citizens and their rights, it does not apply to those who are not citizens of the US. If foreign nationals wish to purchase and posses arms in the US, they can become citizens.

Actually, the Constitution is applied to everyone who is living on American soil, whether they are citizens or not. That's why we keep our Taliban and al Qaeda friends friends at Gitmo in Cuba, not in some Federal prison here.

Foreign nationals who have been given permission to live here need protection under the law.

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.