Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your Kids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #21
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My son now 23 did four years in the USMC before he asked if I thought he did his duty. I thought he did his share after the first two years. He took fine care of me after my accident. Has had his own business since he was 19 (tattoo shop) and kept it growing while he was deployed (three tours in the sand), recently bought a house and proposed to his girl. At 6'-5" remains the kindest sort of man. More than once someone has made a comment about his tattoos or piercing, I get hot and tell the person they are talking down to a man that defended there right to be a judgemental AZZ. He just smiles and lets it roll off like it isn't anything, tells me "they just don't know me, there loss".

jake-work-1.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #22

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Great to be back

I have been away for about a year thought I would bump a few of my old threads by way of a re-introduction

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #23

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

My youngest son was diagnosed with dyslexia about the 3rd grade. They encouraged us that if he worked hard & we helped him, he should be able to over come it & graduate from high school okay. He decided that wasn't good enough & was able to earn his way out of the 'special ed' classes they put him in by the 5th grade, making straight A's. He graduated from high school 9th in his class with a grade point average of .393. Went on to get a BS degree in physics & mathematics, in 3 years. Later, a Master's, then a Doctorate in Physics.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Eldest boy child is now in college (Starting pre med classes in the fall) works two jobs, AND goes to school full time. The one job is only the second job hes had in his life. Part time at a comic book distributor (been there for 3 years, quit his first job so he and his buddys could ride their bicycle from N. IN out to Virginia beach Virginia one summer...proud of him for doing and accomplishing that.) The other job is working for ARC/easter seals caring for handicapped people. He got this job after taking the classes and then taking the CNA certification test and passing.

While this may not seem all that grand....there was a time we didnt think he would even graduate high school. He was his fathers "Payback" (the mothers curse works) that child was a wild one! But some good old fashioned guidance from his old man. Having ZERO credits going into sophmore year of high skrewel, i locked his @$$ in his room for the entire summer with nothing but a clock radio to keep him company....I allowed him to give me a list of books he wanted from the library and I would get them for him once a week. A clock radio and books! No tv, no video games, no playing grab @$$ with his friends on summer vacation, no skateboarding NOTHING!!! He was allowed out of his room for bathroom breaks. THATS IT!!

The next school year he was on the honor roll, the year after that he was on the wrestling team. He graduated on time with the rest of his class!

Whodda thunk!! My wild child is starting pre-med +working TWO jobs!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #25

Default Real proud Dad

This is my son and his mate in our back yard

Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #26

Default OK

What do you Think

Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Davy- good to have you around again.

Youngster has a very good voice- nice job! Liverpool DOES have a bit of a history of producing musicians, doesn't it ?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 157

eat the children before they turn into teenagers.

Oldest (almost 21), has been, umm, challenging. Today my wife and I were driving somewhere and she called to whine about her "friend" that's renting a room from her.

• She's sloppy
  • House is hit up
  • she takes the trash out only after it over flows onto the floor
  • she leaves wet towels on the floor and carpet
  • she hasn't paid a dime towards the food I buy
  • we're out of TP AGAIN
  • she worked 30 hours last week and took this week off because she's stressed out, how is she going to pay her rent?

I was hitting my wife's leg to avoid bust out laughing. We helped her buy this house, it's an incredible starter home. We helped by financing it, and we have a legal mortgage on the house. Set her up to succeed even without a roommate, but having the extra help makes it a lot easier.

Looks like she took a huge maturity leap in the last couple of months. BUT, she's always been a three steps forward, two steps back kinda person.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #29

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My boy is only six, and hadn't really shown me what kind of man he's going to be just yet, but I think it's one I'll be proud of.

As of now, he can read and write, do basic math, keeps his room clean, and he's smart as hell. He's a bit of a smart ass too...

He says ma'am and sir, please and thank you. He likes video games, toys, and movies, but his favorite thing seems to be being a help to anyone. It doesn't matter if he's trying to teach my niece to ride her bike without training wheels, painting stuff (walls, furniture, etc.), laundry, dishes, whatever. More than anything, he craves approval from the people that matter to him. I don't really consider that a great thing, I fear he'll one day seek approval from the wrong sources, but at least for now, he gives a helping hand in anything, and lights up like the fourth of July just hearing genuine appreciation when he's told "thank you"

Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is my youngest. She is 9 and has a great sense of humor. She loves to sing and dance and just act silly. I love her to pieces.

image-3629507263.jpg