Your Imput
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your Imput

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Your Imput

Ok---This is a question that has really been bothering me, and I want your opinion.

I have a Blog--a Blog devoted to the 2nd Amendment--a Blog that is ProGun. Here is my question---I receive several request's from Anti-gun Websites and Blogs to list them as a Link or in my Blogroll. I receive at least 11 or so of these requests per week.

I have not answered any of these request's, however, I have sought the advice of another Pro-Gun Blog ( One With Much Higher Ranking Than Me )

His advice to me "You do not advertise the enemy"

My feelings are that if I give links to those that disagree with me, it will only add strength to my belief.

Your Opinions???????????

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Let them use it, just use a spell checker first.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #3

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I don't let them use my blog or web site

Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

It's hard to say. There are bloggers who will link to those of the "other side" as it were. I don't on mine, probably because I don't care to have their traffic coming to my site and being a nuisance. It might increase my hits and get me more comments, but why spend time moderating or deleting comments and banning commenters when you can avoid the problems of unwelcome guests altogether?

The only problem with that is you won't get any opposing views that might make you think more about your positions and strengthen your views.

It's your choice, but unless you're willing to engage them constantly if they come to your site to insult you, I would consider passing. But check out the sites, if they aren't too far on the fringe, adding one or two might not hurt you.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is an interesting question. If you are 100% sure of the information that you are putting out there on your blog, you know it's credible & you are sure that it isn't information that is being spun for the purposes of proving one person's point, then I say you have nothing to worry about giving someone who reads your blog a chance to read another blog with differing opinion.

For this fictional argument I am going to include my now good friend Cpttango30 because we had a differing of opinion on this one issue much earlier, but we moved on from it and still continue to joke about it. I don't have a real web-blog or page and I am don't know if he does or doesn't

Example - I run a blog and I make the statement that I personally don't believe the Remington 700 Rifle Action is worth a damn and anyone who builds a rifle on such an action is waiting to have their butt kicked by one of my rifles in their next competition. I have an agenda, and I haven't offered anything of substance, so when Joe Reader hits my link to counter-point at my good friend cpttango30's blog, and they read how much he loves the Remington and how he thinks that the Remington is the best rifle action on the market, and that his Remington 700's are the best in the world, they are left with two differing view points, but no real facts to back up the case.

Now, if I posted the same thing on my blog/webpage but Tango is publishing pictures of his rifles, with the very flaws that I have ranted about on my blog, being addressed as strong points because of care he has taken, and takes the time to educate the reader with true facts, my argument becomes one of one person ranting about the product, not an accurate statement to base judgement on.

If you can do the same thing with your blog - put forth good, solid information that is backed up by solid, not spun, facts - I don't see the harm with letting someone link to a site that maybe isn't doing such a good job of fact checking and can be exposed as being a lazy bigot.

Just my $0.02

JD

Please Note: No Tangos were harmed in the making of this post.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, now I know why they might want the links.....

I clicked on your link at the bottom of your post, the address says "disarmamerica" and that's exactly what they want. They see the posts but don't pay attention that most of them are links to articles that are anti-gun. I was confused too when I first went to the blog, I saw all these pro-gun ads and stuff on the sidebar and the posts seemed to be anti-gun. You might want to post some info before going to the article you are linking to. Comment about the story first before presenting it, that should solve the problem.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #7

Good Point ScottG---I get roughly 20 to 25 Email's a day Slamming my opinions, articles, ETC. I Don't need anymore of the "Tunnel Vision Folks" Contacting me--Thanks--I will "Sleep on Your Advice"

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I don't on mine, probably because I don't care to have their traffic coming to my site and being a nuisance. It might increase my hits and get me more comments, but why spend time moderating or deleting comments and banning commenters when you can avoid the problems of unwelcome guests altogether?

It's your choice, but unless you're willing to engage them constantly if they come to your site to insult you, I would consider passing. But check out the sites, if they aren't too far on the fringe, adding one or two might not hurt you.
+1

You know, that is a good point that I didn't factor in, the amount of reverse traffic you will get that might get troublesome in debating or battling people that only want to add some drama to their lives trying to prove another person wrong on the internet.

Good call Scott!

JD

Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Oh, now I know why they might want the links.....

I clicked on your link at the bottom of your post, the address says "disarmamerica" and that's exactly what they want. They see the posts but don't pay attention that most of them are links to articles that are anti-gun. I was confused too when I first went to the blog, I saw all these pro-gun ads and stuff on the sidebar and the posts seemed to be anti-gun. You might want to post some info before going to the article you are linking to. Comment about the story first before presenting it, that should solve the problem.
Yes--The fact that my address is "Disarmamerica" brings me alot of attention. I chose that address because It is my belief that the Anti-Gun people, along with certain members of the government are trying to do just that--disarm-america--Thank You for your opinion, you may be right---in my attempt to shock and awe---I may have just totally confused my readers!!

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"