Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your friends, then and now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 270 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 1204

Well for me at 41 Im down to about 2 real friends one being my wife.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move the bodies and hide them. . . etc.
A friend will support your alibi. A good friend will help you hide the body (bodies?).

I only have three good friends; my ex, my nursing school 'partner' (who’s a Marine), and my brother.

But then I’m also of Sicilian descent, so I have ‘family’.

Last edited by Vincine; 02-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Your true friends are the ones that will be there when the SHTF and or you really need them most , not the ones you thought were your friends that just have a hand out

Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #24

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
Anyone else notice this? Or how much harder it is to find people with the same interest and become friends after about age 30?
See what it looks like after age 70, when many of your true friends have died.

I'm 75, widowed, with grown kids living hundreds of miles away. True friends are few but priceless. Some of them are my age or older, and death will eventually end those friendships. I do have some younger friends, or at least valued acquaintances, and I don't subscribe to the old guy's belief that young folks are no damn good compared to what WE were like. That's BS--I just wouldn't want to be young again in this scary world.

I often fear that the social media "platforms" are diluting the concept of friendship to a dangerous degree--who the hell has 947 "friends" and gets hurt and/or pissed off if someone "unfriends" him?

With age should come wisdom--it's not automatically true--and the ability to gauge true friendship.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7882

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
I do have some younger friends, or at least valued acquaintances, and I don't subscribe to the old guy's belief that young folks are no damn good compared to what WE were like. That's BS--I just wouldn't want to be young again in this scary world.
I am "older" and have several friends younger than me. One dear friend was 27 when he died and I have several friends in their 30's that I meet for lunch and get togethers on a regular basis. I enjoy people younger than I am. They teach me things, they make me laugh and I like their spunk and energy. I also agree that young people know a lot of things I don't. I may have 'life experiences' but when my computer breaks down, I'm looking for someone younger than I am to come look at it for me. I, too, live alone. I am not as old as you are but I don't see my 'singleness' changing in the near future. But I do have three grown children who live nearby and they do visit often.

I often fear that the social media "platforms" are diluting the concept of friendship to a dangerous degree--who the hell has 947 "friends" and gets hurt and/or pissed off if someone "unfriends" him?[/QUOTE]

You are so right here. I have a FB account but I only have 32 friends. I have a long list of people who wanted to "friend" me and I declined. I don't understand the 'hundreds of friends' thing, either.

I have a small circle of friends who check in on my since I've been unemployed, who care about me, who I meet for breakfast or lunch on occasion. I would say about 6. I also have a very dear friend whom I have never met in person. And for that I thank the social media.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5074 Times on 2886 Posts
Likes Given: 4238

When I was younger, one of my best friends had three sons. They all went camping and hunting with my son and me.

I always treated his sons just like my own. If I brought a candy bar for my own son, I also brought 3 more for Mikes boys.

Today those boys are in their forties, and they are just as much my "close friends" as their father is. When the father and I disagree about something the boys usually side with me against their father's point of view.

I remember reading something a long time ago about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you!!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Last edited by locutus; 02-26-2013 at 04:23 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7882

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I remember reading something a long time ago about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you!!
I try to live every day with that motto as my guide. I'm not always successful but that is my goal.
Vincine Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #28

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

There were five of us really tight in high school. Two have since died. The other two left have been my best friends since 1st and 5th grade.

You don't need a string of friends, just a few links of soul.

NEVER FORGET