Your friends, then and now? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your friends, then and now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

You will know who your true friends are , they stick around and never really leave your side , you still visit and socialize, phone calls, and keep in touch about life in general, family, etc , you still have get togethers, just not as often of course . Im 40 when I was in HS and college , I had lots of friends, 20 years later , I talk to the ones I want to , My best friend still lives within minutes of me and he now works for me , we still pal around , have a beer and chat often . a few others I consider friends still chat , and shoot the sh!t every now and then but I can say I dont truly have 1/10 of the close friends I had when I was 20 yrs old. I have a family , were constantly on the go with school things, sporting events, I coach baseball the wife coaches volleyball . We are a busy family and thats just how things work out .
You will know your true friends they are the ones you still communicate with regularly and give you a hand when ever you need it , Not the one that just come around when they need something

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Came from an extremely overcrowded neighborhood in New York City, which made making friends all that more easier, as when children or teenagers, who feel the natural need to do so. Gang warfare and drugs soon shrunk that list. But as I got older I found it harder to make friends, as life got more political on every level. After betrayals I sadly come to learn to 'make no friends, but be a friend to all.' And today, I am that friend to many.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I dont truly have 1/10 of the close friends I had when I was 20 yrs old.

..., Not the one that just come around when they need something
your friends didn't changed, you learned what real friends are
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

your friends didn't changed, you learned what real friends are
Boom you got it.

To me a friend is defined a few different ways. One that you can make that call when you are in deep shiz and will help you without question. And
One that you can pick up the phone and call after not speaking for months or years and pick up the conversation as though you just spoke yesterday.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have very few "friends" and many acquaintances. Some of my friends are family and not just because they're family but because they're friends. Other than them and hubby, I would say I have 2 other people that I can truly count on no matter what.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

it does shrink as you get older. and sometimes simply because of our own lives and the priorities of our lives. career and family take a huge amount of time that we don't have like we did in high school. distances seperate as we move around to different locations. people change.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8456 Times on 4899 Posts
Likes Given: 11022

A friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move the bodies and hide them.

By that standard I have two true friends. No questions asked, they will do whatever I ask of them and I would do the same. Oh, except bail them out of jail. One of them called me one night from jail. I asked him why he was in and it was because of public drunkenness. I said I would pick him up when he made bail, but wouldn't bail him out. Stupid should hurt sometimes. He didn't blame me a bit.

I do have many friends that I have kept in touch with over the years though and they are true friends. There for me when I am needing friends, and I do likewise. Some I don't see but once a year or sometimes longer. We make a point of getting together around Christmas because back in high school the core group would get together on Christmas Eve every year and party. After a few years and some of us starting families that has changed to just be sometime in December or January. Still do it. There have been some additions to the group and some who have moved away, but nobody is excluded in any way. Last Christmas there were 8 of us who showed up for dinner, plus one who is a cop and was on duty that night, so we had the gathering at a restaurant on his beat so he came by and had dinner too.

My best friend these days (one of the first two I mentioned) is actually a guy I met only about 10 years ago who is almost 20 years my senior. Great guy.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Better one or two real friend than dozens of "social friends.'

I have a buddy that I served with many years ago. We exchange Christmas and birthday cards and that's about it.

Yet if I called him today and told him that I needed to borrow a thousand dollars, and I was not at liberty to tell him why, the money would be at Western Union when I got there.

And I would do the same for him.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #19

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The facts are that if you have 3 real friends in your long life you are considered a socialite.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 699 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
I am currently 42 years old. When I was young (teens and early 20's) my circle of friends was large. Seems when we are in high school and or college we make more friends than in any other time of our lives. But as I have got older my friends list has shrunk. Friends drift apart for a number of reasons. They move away, focus on career and family becomes a priority, common interests change, political views, ect, ect.

Anyone else notice this? Or how much harder it is to find people with the same interest and become friends after about age 30?
Ron Swanson said it best "1-3 and you have a enough friends". I'm paraphrasing, but it happens to all of us.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.