Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your friends, then and now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 515 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Your friends, then and now?

I am currently 42 years old. When I was young (teens and early 20's) my circle of friends was large. Seems when we are in high school and or college we make more friends than in any other time of our lives. But as I have got older my friends list has shrunk. Friends drift apart for a number of reasons. They move away, focus on career and family becomes a priority, common interests change, political views, ect, ect.

Anyone else notice this? Or how much harder it is to find people with the same interest and become friends after about age 30?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

Natural phenomena.

In HS, your friends were your social circle. Family (parents and siblings) becomes less important.

As we age, our family, (spouse and children) and to a lesser extent coworkers become our social circle.

When you retire, you will find that your group of friends becomes even smaller, as children move away, and even access to grandchildren is often limited.

Your social circle is spouse, and a very small number of very close friends, at clubs or church.

Probably why so many retired folks get heavily involved volunteer activity, and politics.

Sad, but natural, I guess.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

Liked 2365 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Does not have to be 30, I'm 24, the second one in the group of my friends to marry, start a family lalala. I however, have a career that demands a crazy amount of time. After all this began, I saw just who I could consider true friends anymore, as far as keeping some communication.

I have done my part, be it through phone calls, text messages, social media, or house visits when I'm home. Some connections drift away, it seems to just happen. I still have a couple friends I see every time I am home, and some that I see around hunting seasons, as we get together then.

It is hard, with us being in our young to mid 20's with jobs and some of us starting families. It will be different as I am moving towns this summer, yet only 60 some miles away, I feel it will strain what little ties I have left.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 736 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Define "friends"

Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 515 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Define "friends"
I am not talking about cyber cronies or facebook friends.

I'm talking about someone you can turn to in a crisis. Someone you trust. Someone you do things with on a regular basis. Someone you could talk to in the case of a divorce or the loss of a loved one.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Today I can count my "friends" on one hand. All the rest are acquaintances and such. But true friends? One handful.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 736 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Today I can count my "friends" on one hand. All the rest are acquaintances and such. But true friends? One handful.
That many? Excluding SWMBO, maybe two.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2709 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 16660

8 and considering how many people I know , that's not many.!

Define Friends:-Some one I could tell anything to or that would cover my butt in a crisis.....! And , they could expect the same from me......!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

An old feller once told me that a good friend is someone that you can call on for help at any time, and he can call on you at any time, and the rest of the time you leave each other alone and mind your own damned business.

Not saying I agree with that. But it sure made me think!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
I am not talking about cyber cronies or facebook friends.

I'm talking about someone you can turn to in a crisis. Someone you trust. Someone you do things with on a regular basis. Someone you could talk to in the case of a divorce or the loss of a loved one.
Using your definition I have no friends.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

dango Likes This