Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your Firearms related "Pet Peeves"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #111
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
They make a DE in 41 Mag? I want one!!!!
Not any more. They did for the first few years. They are uncommon and sought after by us ".41 cultists".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 192 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

The most depressing posts I see on this or other forums are the first post form someone asking the value on an older gun. This usually means someone's parent, grandparent, whatever died and they want to sell off the stuff. Sure it's their right to not want the stuff. It just makes me sad to think something was kept for so long then handed down just to get sold off. I guess the one comnforting fact is maybe th eone buying it will take proper care of it and all but a good bit of history is lost forever. And you just can not replace that. THe most precious tihng in my collection is an old beat up Triumph single shot 12 gauge. The stock is cracked, no but plate, and it shows it's age really well. But it was my Dads. I remember him using it when I was little. He died and I found out that somehow my mother had it and had really neglected it. I took it home where it's taken out and cleaned, oiled and looked at to remember those old stories.
The idea that someone could just sell off those memories really makes me sad.
Worse than selling them is having them restored. My brother was given our great grandfather's Winchester 92, in 44-40. It had been carried by an old rancher, in a scabbard for fifty odd years and showed it. His brand had been burned into the right hand side of the stock.

The brother had it reblued in a high gloss. Threw away the original stock, and replaced it with a fancy, highly figured walnut one. Took off the original carbine barrel and magazine, replaced them with an octagon rifle length barrel, and longer magazine tube. When he was done he had a rifle that wasn't practical to shoot, (too fancy), that bore absolutely no resemblance to the original, and had no sentimental value whatsoever.

Hell, if he had told me he wanted a really fancy model 92, I would have found him one. It would probably have cost less than the "restoration", and modification of the original.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #113

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The most depressing posts I see on this or other forums are the first post form someone asking the value on an older gun. This usually means someone's parent, grandparent, whatever died and they want to sell off the stuff. Sure it's their right to not want the stuff. It just makes me sad to think something was kept for so long then handed down just to get sold off. I guess the one comnforting fact is maybe th eone buying it will take proper care of it and all but a good bit of history is lost forever. And you just can not replace that. THe most precious tihng in my collection is an old beat up Triumph single shot 12 gauge. The stock is cracked, no but plate, and it shows it's age really well. But it was my Dads. I remember him using it when I was little. He died and I found out that somehow my mother had it and had really neglected it. I took it home where it's taken out and cleaned, oiled and looked at to remember those old stories.
The idea that someone could just sell off those memories really makes me sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
NOT being sentimental does not have to be a negative thing. And some people are sentimental about certain things, but not others. If my father was into guns, but I wasn't, what makes anyone think there would be emotional ties to his guns? Good for those people for trying to figure out that they're worth, and seeing that they find a new home that will love them and take care of them, and possibly turn them into THIER family's heirlooms.

It's not sad, it's reality.
I think it depends....

If it wasnt for people selling "grampa's" guns I wouldnt have much of my collection... None of my family fought in Berlin or stormed the beaches of Okinawa, but those are the types of guns I like..

but on the other hand Ive sold some of my dad's guns.. One was a Ruger Vaquero, I sold it to a friend who loves and cherishes it. If I woulda kept it, it would just be sitting in its box unappreciated and forgotten....

The only guns I have a "sentimental" attachment to are my parents EDC's (My dad's S&W Model 39 and my Mom's Beretta .25)
People Like This 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #114

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Going to a gun shop, grabbing some new bullets, new neck sizer, finding out they have no useable powder, getting home after a three hour drive on crumby roads......then realizing you never even thought to grab a bullet seating die.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #115

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

People who tell other people what firearm/caliber they should carry.

If someone is comfortable carrying a Sig 238, stop playing the "expert" and beating them up for it.

"Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."
-NRA Life Member
People Like This 
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #116
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2748 Times on 1890 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
I think it depends.... If it wasnt for people selling "grampa's" guns I wouldnt have much of my collection... None of my family fought in Berlin or stormed the beaches of Okinawa, but those are the types of guns I like.. but on the other hand Ive sold some of my dad's guns.. One was a Ruger Vaquero, I sold it to a friend who loves and cherishes it. If I woulda kept it, it would just be sitting in its box unappreciated and forgotten.... The only guns I have a "sentimental" attachment to are my parents EDC's (My dad's S&W Model 39 and my Mom's Beretta .25)
I recently had to sell off some of the inherited parts of the collection. Hurt me to do it,...but we're down to one income, until my wife is approved for disability. But I did keep some that we are very attached to. One I kept was a presentation Auto Ord. 1911 that the then CEO of the company gave to my Dad....some things you try and hold on to

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

People Like This 
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #117

Liked 63 Times on 38 Posts

My pet peeves concerning firearms is the in-laws thinking that because I have bad vision am legally blind but still can see should not be allowed to own a gun. She still hates the fact I got the shotgun. Has even threatened to call social security and others to say if he can see to shoot than he not blind enough to collect my SSDI or that they take the gun away. The wig and I just laugh. Wife Mona a dumb one. Wife's words not mine.

P.S. The wife is totally blind but you'll aware she can see when she nails you. Seen her turn and out someone while they were quiet. She got uncanny aim.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #118

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default accuracy

My pet peeve is people who complain about accuracy. Today's Firearms are way more accurate than the shooter. There are lots of variables including ammunition, wind, shooting up hill, down hill, optics, and the shooter himself. They are willing to dump a rifle or handgun just because of operator skill or lack of it. I tend to use a bench rest and basically I am just pulling the trigger. I load my own ammo so I know every cartridge is exactly the same. That really cuts down on the variables. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. I do have issues with clips and magazines...assault style modern rifles, that arent really assault rifles and pigs at the range...not picking up after themselves. .

Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 AM   #119
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19782 Times on 11232 Posts
Likes Given: 49845

some people who post information on the internet or a forum that have not one clue as to what they are talking about. then pissed off when someone who actually does proves the wrong.

and some who will post their opinions as if they were facts. News Flash! opinions are the same as facts.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2830 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 16875

I have no heirlooms or collection . I come from some boring roots . Alcoholics on my fathers side and reborn Christians on my mothers side ! I do believe I am the black sheep of the family , sort of walk my own path .

The fire arms I do own are fun or just practical to fit my humble needs . To pass on advice , I have none , that would be personal likes and needs .

My only gripe , finding ammo and reload stuffs can be a challenge !