Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your Firearms related "Pet Peeves"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #101
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19944 Times on 11333 Posts
Likes Given: 50298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
There is another reason for wanting a value on old guns. As trustee for my parents estate I have to have a rough value of everything they own. This is not only for the trust valuation purposes, but also for insurance reasons and making the split fair when the time comes to execute the trust. I also imagine more than one of the people asking for a value would need it for homeowners or renters insurance.

Have a little faith. Not everyone is out to dump memories to the highest bidder.
i think DJ was refering to when someone comes into possession of a family gun and are thinking of selling it to buy something newer and more modern.

but i can see your point and hope that is the case in most instances.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #102

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
There is another reason for wanting a value on old guns. As trustee for my parents estate I have to have a rough value of everything they own. This is not only for the trust valuation purposes, but also for insurance reasons and making the split fair when the time comes to execute the trust. I also imagine more than one of the people asking for a value would need it for homeowners or renters insurance.

Have a little faith. Not everyone is out to dump memories to the highest bidder.
I understand the desire to know a value so you can properly insure something or to fairy divide an estate upon the death of a family member. But when you hang around gun forums a lot and see these first posts by so many that once they get a value will never post again tells me that they just need a value so they can sell it off. Nothing brings out the greed in people faster than a death in the family. Even many times if it is a "gun person" they will sell off the useless 03 () to get a shiny new Glock or other "useful gun" Time and again I have watched it in the real world as well on forums. We see it on this forum about once a month.

Sure it can be that they are just trying to get a value for what I would see as a good reason. But I'm willing to bet that more often than not this is not the case. For an abundance of people in this world the only thing a death in the family means is a payday. And for me that is depressing.
Maybe that is one of the reasons I am so drawn to older guns. I do see the ghost in the machine and often will wonder to myself what that old gun had seen before it found it's way to where I am seeing it in the here and now.

But I am kind of weird. I'm one of those guys that believes some of the most valuable things anyone has ever given me where their stories after living a long, interesting life.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #103

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'll add that it's not just guns but many other types of things that some one felt a need to keep because it was important to them. Sometimes things are not just things.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #104

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

I was so mad a few years ago because my cousin sold his grandpa's, my great grandpa's, Colt Police Positive he carried as a deputy. It was to buy another polymer gun for his collection.
Thankfully, I have most of his uniform, but I wish he'd have sold it to me or some other family member

Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #105
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Just overheard a guy that used to own a gun shop tell someone that for self defense you shouldn't own any rifle without a bump fire stock.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #106
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19944 Times on 11333 Posts
Likes Given: 50298

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
Just overheard a guy that used to own a gun shop tell someone that for self defense you shouldn't own any rifle without a bump fire stock.
really? must be one of those who believe in the spray and pray methods!

use to to own a gun shop? well giving out advice like that, i think we can fully understand why he use to, and now doesn't.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #107
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Yea when I heard him and was instantly satisfied that I never did any business with him.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #108

Liked 101 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 122

My pet peeve is someone who tells me that I can't possibly defend my home and yard with anything but the firearms issued to major police depts. or a Mil Spec weapon. Then you notice that they never tote it, shoot only at a range and put it away so carefully it would take 15 minutes to get it ready to go. Then six months later it's gone. I think this is called a Temporary Tactical Teddy.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #109

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Mine would have to be the "know it all"! This would be someone who thinks they know everything about every weapon and is not interested in what anyone else has to say!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #110
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2787 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55
My pet peeve is someone who tells me that I can't possibly defend my home and yard with anything but the firearms issued to major police depts. or a Mil Spec weapon. Then you notice that they never tote it, shoot only at a range and put it away so carefully it would take 15 minutes to get it ready to go. Then six months later it's gone. I think this is called a Temporary Tactical Teddy.
You should Service Mark or Trademark that! "the Triple T"............

My Newest Shooting related Pet Peeve Is the "Old Guy" who comes to the range with a sour puss on his face, doesn't talk to anyone, and displays no courtesy what so ever, and Shoves your bag off the table to get to his Immense bag that could hold a dozen Guns. I could see if it was just me, But today was a crowded day, and all the lanes were filled, Everyone else there caught the same vibe from this guy, as well as the 4 employees working there...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*