Your "Face palm" Range moments? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your "Face palm" Range moments?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

A friend's Stevens 350 shotgun was in my hands. Five booms later I took the gun off my shoulder and pulled the trigger on an empty chamber after emptying the magazine.

BOOMMMM!!!!!!

One more shell in that mag than I was expecting, I guess. Oops. Thankfully I was following the primary rule of a gun range: Always point the muzzle downrange.

Everybody was safe after that negligent discharge...my only one ever.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #12

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My first "face palm" moment came with the very first shot out of my very first gun. It is the hazards of being new and shooting alone.

I took my GP 100 to the range a few days after I bought it. I was so excited.......I was shooting my very own first gun for the very first time. I went slowly, step by step, remembering safety and loaded 6 .357 mags into the cylinder. I pick up the gun ALL EXCITED. I get my stance, extend the gun, study my grip, line up the sights with the target and let the very first round rip from my very first gun. I stand frozen for a moment. Put the gun on the shooting counter and step back, stunned. I forgot to put on my ears and eyes in all my excitement and concentration to not make a safe handling mistake. I'm sure most of you know how loud a .357 magnum is in an indoor range. My right ear rang for a while and I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear for a couple hours. Lesson learned. I've never forgotten my eyes and ears again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
That was big of you to try to help them out. Some people are just in need of more help than we are able to provide in a short day trip.

I thought because of the title we were going to talk about our own stupid moments on the range. I was shooting my Marlin Model 60 for a while the other day. I probably put a couple hundred rounds range. I decided to shoot a couple mags from my 1911. As soon as the first round went off I remembered that I dont wear ear protection when shooting rimfire rifles. I had no idea how loud that 45 really was!!!
Holy smokes man! I have a really good buddy, I've known him since we were children, we also shoot together when time provides, he picked up a theory somewhere that when getting a new gun or especially with your EDC, that you must shoot it once without ear protection, his logic is in an emergency you won't time to put your ears and eyes on, so you need to know how it will sound so you don't jump or jerk in the time of need, it's a logical theory to me but man O man, I'm not sure I'd be so willing with a .45 or a .357 lol.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 07-30-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7338 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
Holy smokes man! I have a really good buddy, I've known him since we were children, we also shoot together when time provides, he picked up a theory somewhere that when getting a new gun or especially with your EDC, that you must shoot it once without ear protection, his logic is in an emergency you won't time to put your ears and eyes on, so you need to know how it will sound so you don't jump or jerk in the time of need, it's a logical theory to me but man O man, I'm not sure I'd be so willing with a .45 lol.
I think in an emergency your adrenaline will be pumping so hard and fast you won't even notice the "BANG".
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #14

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think in an emergency your adrenaline will be pumping so hard and fast you won't even notice the "BANG".
Good point. I've shot (taking my bro's advice) my EDC without ears on, which right now is a J-frame .38 with Gold dot 158gr +p HP's, it really wasn't THAT bad, I wouldn't want to do it 100 times in a row though.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 07-30-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #15

Liked 2501 Times on 1626 Posts

I shot a 16" ar once without ear protection, once.

I bought a Taurus 357 years ago on consignment through a gun store, and met the pastor selling it. He did a trigger job on it and it was SWEET! I picked up a couple boxes of ammo and headed home to shoot.

After going through 20 rounds or so, I realized the weight of the trigger was too light, and failed to strike the primer hard enough for detonation. I continued shooting for awhile, practicing my pull without flinching, which was a good test because it didn't fire every time.

I burned through a box, and was walking back up to the house pulling the trigger repeatedly, swinging both arms when BANG! It had one left that didn't fire the first couple trigger pulls. The small crater was about 3-4 inches from my right foot.

This was many years ago, and I always practice safe handling now. I took the gun back and had the original owner put the original springs back in. I then sold it to a coworker, just didn't have good "vibes" from it.

Feral cat waterboarder

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've been pretty careful about handling guns so I don't have a face palm moment of my own but I got a face palm from the couple next stall. The guy was showing his girl how to shoot and she shot my target.

Note the hole above the right circle. That's hers. Now look at the two tiny holes, one in the white sticker and one in the green. Their target is at 3 yards while mine's at 7 yards and my best guess is that she hit the hanger where the bullet ricocheted into my target and the bullet was damaged where two pieces were fragmented from the bullet into my target.

What do you think?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #17

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
you must shoot it once without ear protection, his logic is in an emergency you won't time to put your ears and eyes on, so you need to know how it will sound so you don't jump or jerk in the time of need, it's a logical theory to me but man O man, I'm not sure I'd be so willing with a .45 or a .357 lol.
On another thread RoboCop10mm brought up a phenomenon called tachypsychia. In a critical situation, our brain does not perceive the gun shots in the same way it does down at the local rock quarry after we've removed our ear muffs.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face