Your "Face palm" Range moments?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your "Face palm" Range moments?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default Your worst Range Experiences? or "Face palm* Moments?

There were two guys who setup (Literally cut the tape off the box) next to me at a public range with an M10-AK, A Romanian M10 to be specific, Which I've been eyeballing so I was kinda interested in checking it out but both these guys were wearing flip flops. The AK was new in the box from buds for crazy cheap, check the link, it's 600 bucks.

I saw they were having trouble loading the magazine, seating the magazine and just general operation of the rifle. I asked them if they needed some help and they declined but continued to struggle. After about 10 more minutes of that, they decided that some help would be appreciated. I asked them if the rifle was "brand new" and the owner said "yah I just turned 18 today and the AK is my favorite gun on Call of Duty so I bought one." .........OMG so I asked how old the other guy was and he was 17 and neither one had ever fired a gun of any kind before.

Ahh man, wtf did I just get myself into.....

I helped them get the magazine loaded and went over the range safety rules. I showed them how to seat the magazine and chamber a round. I also covered how to stand and hold the rifle and the four rules like half a dozen times. They said thanks and I cautiously went back to shooting. Immediately after I hear GAKGAKGAKGAKBLAKKK CLANK...and look over and the guy who just bought the rifle was trying to bump fire it with some success but the hot brass got caught in his flip flop and he dropped his rifle....I'm thinking oh man, this isn't getting any better.

They were asked to leave by the range staff immediately (sorry but I rat'ted them out, I felt bad about it but it was getting dangerous and the last thing we as a firearm community need is another 18 year old killed on the range).

The Range officer and owner, told them they were not welcome back unless they wanted take a class he offered on proper rifle handling and told me he even gave them both 20% off coupons.

But I think I'm going to stop going on Saturday and Sundays to this place, it's crazy popular so it gets chaotic busy....I'll just drive a bit further to my favorite place which is a private Police/Military training spot that allows trust worthy civilians the privilege to use the place while it's not being used for training, it's much calmer and peaceful and rarely busy.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 07-30-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Thread Clarification

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Half the time when I shoot I'm wearing flip flops.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Not telling you your business, but I never load more than one round in a gun for a new shooter. I realize they are 'experienced field hands in the cybernetic jungle' of modern warfare, but the reset button on reality is currently out of order...we get no continues.
I don't really blame you for changing ranges. That is bad news.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

People Like This 
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Half the time when I shoot I'm wearing flip flops.
Yea but your not a noob, the point about the flip flops was what happened later.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Not telling you your business, but I never load more than one round in a gun for a new shooter. I realize they are 'experienced field hands in the cybernetic jungle' of modern warfare, but the reset button on reality is currently out of order...we get no continues.
I don't really blame you for changing ranges. That is bad news.
Yes Sir, I hear ya loud and clear.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #6

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

That was big of you to try to help them out. Some people are just in need of more help than we are able to provide in a short day trip.

I thought because of the title we were going to talk about our own stupid moments on the range. I was shooting my Marlin Model 60 for a while the other day. I probably put a couple hundred rounds range. I decided to shoot a couple mags from my 1911. As soon as the first round went off I remembered that I dont wear ear protection when shooting rimfire rifles. I had no idea how loud that 45 really was!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7383 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 9133

I would never wear flip flops to the range. Socks and shoes only for me.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9199 Times on 3969 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

My DUH! moment? Had several rifles at the line. Verifying scope on a .308 at 50 yds. Can see bullets hitting the dirt of the berm- looked liked a minute-of-elephant shot group. What the.......

Looked down at the box, and realized I had just put 4 rounds of .243 downrange- out of my Winchester .308. The .243 was for the Browning still resting in its rack..... DUH!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #9

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

One time my wife handed me what I thought was the last round in a box of .45 ACP. I put it in the mag and fired it without really looking at it. It didnt feel right when it went off. The case was all bulged out. I said out loud, "I wonder why none of the others in the box did that?" She said it didnt come from the box. She had picked it up off the ground. I looked at it again and realized that it is was a .40 S&W.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7383 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 9133

My first "face palm" moment came with the very first shot out of my very first gun. It is the hazards of being new and shooting alone.

I took my GP 100 to the range a few days after I bought it. I was so excited.......I was shooting my very own first gun for the very first time. I went slowly, step by step, remembering safety and loaded 6 .357 mags into the cylinder. I pick up the gun ALL EXCITED. I get my stance, extend the gun, study my grip, line up the sights with the target and let the very first round rip from my very first gun. I stand frozen for a moment. Put the gun on the shooting counter and step back, stunned. I forgot to put on my ears and eyes in all my excitement and concentration to not make a safe handling mistake. I'm sure most of you know how loud a .357 magnum is in an indoor range. My right ear rang for a while and I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear for a couple hours. Lesson learned. I've never forgotten my eyes and ears again.

People Like This