Your cell phone is dumping your info to the gov.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Your cell phone is dumping your info to the gov.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

They are called "stingrays", and look like a cell tower. Except these recieve your information from your phone. In use since 2008, I had never heard of them, you?

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2011/08/03/aclus-new-project-to-uncover-details-on-law-enforcement-use-of-location-tracking/

NEVER FORGET

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts

I didn't see anything in that article about Stingrays. This article is dated. Not to mention the commenters at the bottom who believe the States not being investigated are ruled by white supremacist gun nuts. Yikes.
Speaking from personal and professional experience, cell phones cannot be tracked without assistance from the cellular company. They will not help without a warrant or an emergency situation which usually requires a call by the phone in question to 911, thereby creating a duty to act on the part of the 911 center. Im not sure if larger agencies would have different access to info.
I assume the Feds have access to whatever they want, whenever they want it, for whatever reason they like.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

In response.
http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/cia-director-web-connected-devices-in-your-home-make-it-easy-to-spy-on-you/

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've read about similar issues of cell phones giving out locations, etc. but I don't think this cheap $15 Tracfone, that I use, has all the gadgets, etc. on it that the good ones do, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There are a bunch of ways they can track you and intercept your data. Modern smartphones usually come with some low level application installed that can send every keystroke and everything that goes to and from your phone. Also the fact that pretty much all phones have built in GPS chips makes it much easier to follow people. Whatever comes as a "feature" is also a feature for the government to monitor your activity closely.
Look up CarrierIQ.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Not gonna worry about it. Anyone watching me will already know that:
A. I don't do anything illegal and...
B. I'm definitely more trouble than I'm worth.

Tack

Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I've read about similar issues of cell phones giving out locations, etc. but I don't think this cheap $15 Tracfone, that I use, has all the gadgets, etc. on it that the good ones do, so I'm not too concerned about it.
It has nothing to do with the price of the phone, you have a number and your phone can be tracked

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

They wouldn't get anything off my cell phone but a bunch of B.S. and worthless texts, so let them have at it!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

supreme court just ruled the feds need a warrant to track you. if they do so with no warrant and you find out you prolly have a really good lawsuit.

wouldnt worry about it.

if shtf first thing that happens for me is the battery in the cell phone gets removed and the damn thing left in a drawer till order is restored

its a non-issue

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #10

Liked 4450 Times on 2204 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I love the government. I will do everything they say if they ask. We need government in our lives. How else could we function?

Sent from my iPhone

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.