Your $10K List: What's On It? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Your $10K List: What's On It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
HOLY ****!! That trumps everything I have ever done... That is AWESOME!!
If I get to do anything half as awesome as that I'll die happy.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3496 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have met ( 2 ) MOH winners and both of them had a meal and a drink with me and I didn't ask anything about their experience, but it wa AWESOME....

Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I walked the decks of 2 Soviet warships while they were inport at Norfolk, Va, and I did NOT spy! I was instructed specifically not to spy, particularly at their anti-aircraft carrier missile launchers, which hadn't been serviced in years.

I pissed off John Negroponte when I told him that I could not let him and his family aboard John Lehmann's yacht.

I've watched a Soviet Krivak destroyer speed through the wreckage of a US Navy S-3B Viking aircraft which was very likely shot down by Lybia in a blatant attempt to destroy evidence. We were there trying to find the aircrew.

I squatted 502 lb's in high school.

My aunt's boyfriend used to be George Carlin's fishing guide in the Thousand Islands.

Viggo Mortensen wore my military Goretex cammo parka while island shopping once. Not shopping on an island, but looking for one to buy.

I have the nicest wife a man could ever hope for.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts

I have eaten a steak from doe's in greenville mississipi. (not just the best steak ever but a crazy resteraunt)

i have seen a huey helicopter do a hot landing on my highschool football field.

i have shook the hand of vietnam vet that spit in jane fondas face.

the last 2 were from me taking a lessons of vietnam class in high school.
that was my favorite class in HS i got to meet a vietnam vet every friday. i got to see a huey helicopter land on our football field i got to go to a tet celebration and had the oportunity to see a do soo many things that most high school students don't get the opportunity to see.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow you guys have some really great experiences. Very impressive lot!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

For the win:

Met Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #17
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12641 Times on 5417 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

The gents were from the 442 RCT, from Hawaii, WWII. I spend a lot of time in Hawai'i on work, noticed the older man in a REAL aloha shirt, said aloha, we started talking story, and one thing lead to another. When he introduced me to his fellow "Go for Broke" members, I was impressed. Asked if they were there on vacation? When they quietly explained what was happening, I was floored. Waited around for the motorcade, said aloha, wandered off in a daze. Had to call 3 friends and tell them what had just happened. In 23 yrs of service, had met TWO holders of the Medal- and met ELEVEN that morning.

Over the years had worked with a Pearl Harbor survivor, met a survivor of the Bataan Death March, had a late friend that was in on liberation of a concentration camp, next door neighbor was wounded and disabled on Omaha Beach, and the secretary for my Masonic Lodge was Ranger in Korea.

There are stories all around us- and walking on a Soviet warship, and having chai with the Afghans are great ones! (Elvira- not sure- let me consider that one a bit- OK ? )

Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This is the Marshal Ustinov, and you can clearly see the enormous missile launchers at the forward portion of the ship. Your $10K List:  What's On It? - The Club House
The "tour guide" wouldn't tell me what the firing rate of the cannon mounted astern was on the Olychtni.....

Last edited by gorknoids; 03-16-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have been flying with my father for many years acting as his co-pilot. We have met a lot of famous, cool, and/or very rich people.

I met Carl Yastrzemski. When we were in the air, my father pointed to a small box of baseballs in the back seat and I quote my father, "We aren't landing until you sign them." So thats how I have a personalized baseball signed by Carl Yastrzemski with a priceless story to go with it. (I'm a huge Red Sox fan)

I met David Steiner (CEO of Waste Management). His daughter is HOT! He had a ring with an emerald the size of a quarter. I thought about swiping it when I shook his hand.

My father has become good friends with the past owners of the Samsonite Luggage Co. They sent me and my wife matching crystal glassware from Tiffany & Co. for our wedding present. I still haven't met them personally.

I met Tred Barta. He is even more over-zealous in real life. He almost hired my father to be his personal pilot. He still owes me a marlin fishing trip.

Bill Fenton (he owns ALL the car dealerships in Keene, VT) hired my father to fly him to the Watkins Glen Raceway in Watkins, NY so he could complete the first half of a race he was entered in. We got VIP treatment for the whole day and I got to sit in some VERY expensive cars. I distinctly remember a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, a tuned BMW M3 and a tuned Acura RSX (the one Bill drove).

My father was hired to fly a multi-millionaire up to the Bradford Camps on Munsungan Lake in Maine. There was a large meeting of several eco-friendly millionaires. The object of the meeting was to convince them to donate money for this Downeast Maine | The Conservation Fund. Very noble cause.
The camp is owned by Igor Sikorsky III. The grandson of the man who invented the helicopter. He is a very interesting person to have a conversation with. I suggest you bring your 'A' game.
We spent a week fly fishing the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen. One morning, I was fishing facing up stream, I heard a "KACHOOSH KACHOOSH" behind me, I turned around and I was 30 feet from a bull moose.
One of the rivers was at the other end of the lake. It took us 45 minutes to get there in a row boat with a 8hp motor. While we were fishing, I heard thunder coming over one of the mountains. I told my dad we needed to go NOW. Being an self-taught over-confident weatherman (pilot), he said we had another hour of fishing before we needed to think about heading back. We didn't stop fishing until the storm was right on top of us. We were in the middle of a friggin huge lake in a tin foil raft trying to go upwind back to the camp. I swear I saw Gods wrath in the clouds that day. They were JET BLACK with lightning bolts every other second. When we got back in our cabin, I looked outside and we had just beat the worst of the storm. The waves were coming at least 4 feet over the dock.
The only way to get to the camp is a 3 hour drive on a dirt road, or a float plane. We took the dirt road in, and a float plane out (the millionaire didn't want sit in a car again). After we took off, I noticed that the fuel gauge was on empty and we had about 15 minutes of flying ahead of us. I also noticed I had two male ends of a seatbelt. When we landed, my father explained to me that bush pilots only fill up with as much gas as they need for their current flight so they can carry more freight and still make it off the lake.

I met Bill Cosby. Hes a dick.

My wife is taking care of the man who was Ronald Reagan's personal chef. He gave her one of his 'secret' recipes for steak.

This next story isn't worth much, but its sentimental value is priceless. A friend of mine went to Northeastern College in Boston. I went to a party one weekend and we decided to crash Simmons College (all girls). Long story short, the party at Simmons got busted. All my friends go arrested while I was getting laid in a different room. I had to bail out three of my buddies and haven't let them forget it.

I'll probably remember more later. I have never been out of the country. But I'm still young and plan on seeing a lot of the world.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts

i got another good one

i was on a fishing trip on the outer banks of N.C. and we were wading in the water throwing casting nets for bait. We were probably only 100ft from the shore of a small island and a herd of wild horses ran down the beach. one of the coolest things i've ever seen.