Young Marine and JROTC - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Young Marine and JROTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I personally think all young people should serve - no better way to grow up fast than to put on a uniform. I attended a graduation at Parris Island and it was indeed a special event...

Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #22

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I was Army and the best officers I ever had were what we called green to gold. They were enlisted first.

You have to know what your troops go through to be the most affective leader.

My worst officer ever in 8 years. Was the one WEST POINT Honor Grad. She sucked couldn't lead a pig to slop. He handed out CS's like they were candy for stupid crap like boots not being polished in the field. Really I don't have time to polish boots when someone is trying to KILL ME.

Prior enlisted always carried more respect with the troops they lead than college officers. We still saluted them and showed proper military respect, it was just that you knew that when a PE officer said go take that hill he would be right next to you watching your back and not watching from way back.

I think ever officer should spend 2 years as a lower enlisted before going to OCS or academy.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONMARINE View Post
Im going to an ocs my grand daddy was a marine my uncle was my dad was in the navy... so lets put it this way im in rotc getting in to one and i grew up in a military background and im in the young marines i want to be a master gunny seargent by 2 years in not to brag or sound cocky every male in my family was a marine or in the special forces dating for the marines to 1776 and the special forces around the civil war
?????

I have no idea how to properly read this. Do you think you could start using some periods periodically?

And how was every male in your family in the Marines when your father was in the Navy??

And last but not least, proper capitalization for respect. Capitalize the names of all the military branches.
List of words that do not need to be capitalized:
soldier
sailor
airmen

List of words that better be capitalized every time:
Marines

I apoligize, just a very personal pet peeve of mine. Soldier, sailor, and airmen are the words to describe a job, you are giving these words the very first day of your enlistment in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The word Marine is a "title" that is earned; you do not receive or deserve that title until you have completed a 13 week rebirth and been award the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by michigan0626; 09-25-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Im going to an ocs my grand daddy was a marine my uncle was my dad was in the navy... so lets put it this way im in rotc getting in to one and i grew up in a military background and im in the young marines i want to be a master gunny seargent by 2 years in not to brag or sound cocky every male in my family was a marine or in the special forces dating for the marines to 1776 and the special forces around the civil war
Quote:
SAME HERE IM IN THE ROTC I HAVE A SCHOLARSHIP FOR RECON MARINES OR CORPMAN I HAVE BEEN TO PARRIS ISLAND THOUGH LOL ISNT IT DOWN IN beaufort i used to live in charlestown when i was small i want to go to fort brag or san deiego
I have no idea what was said. I think something about his Uncle being his Dad.

Scholarship for Recon. A Corpsman is Navy.
A Master Guns in 2 years.

I give up.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #25

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

Please do tell more about these "Marine Special Forces" dating back to 1776 and the Civil War young man.

You might be a tad bit confused, maybe because you did not have any former relatives in the Army?

"Military. com

Marines Get OK for Special Forces
The News and Observer | November 02, 2005
The Marine Corps is getting its own Special Operations Command, and its headquarters and the bulk of the 2,600-strong force will be at Camp Lejeune, the Department of Defense announced Tuesday. The command will include a special operations regiment, a unit that trains foreign troops and a support group. Part of the regiment will be stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif.
Some of the command's Marines will come from a Corps expansion authorized in the current federal budget, while others will come from existing units, said Maj. Douglas Powell, a Marine spokesman at the Pentagon.
There's no firm start date, but the command's first leader, Brig. Gen. Dennis J. Hejlik, has already been chosen. Hejlik not only has combat experience, but has served as chief of staff at U.S. Special Operations Command, an umbrella command that oversees Army, Navy and Air Force units -- and which also will include the new Marines force.
The new force is a natural, said said Daniel Goure, a defense analyst with the Lexington Institute, a think tank in Arlington, Va. For years, the Marines have trained and used troops for some special operations missions.
"What you've got is units that are already there, or nearly already there," he said. "This is a clear recognition of existing skills."
Also, he said, by maintaining a tight relationship with the Corps, the Marine special operations unit would avoid problems that special operations units in the other services report, such as little control over their transportation, problems with communications systems and issues getting backup from conventional troops with assets such as armored vehicles.
For years the Corps has been inching toward a full role in the special operations community, which is best known for the Army's Green Berets -- whose headquarters is at Fort Bragg -- and the Navy's SEALs. The U.S. Special Operations Command and the Marines signed a memorandum of agreement in November 2001 to start working together more.
Since then, said Powell, Marines have worked with special ops troops from other services everywhere from the mountains of Afghanistan to the streets of Fallujah.
Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the elite special operations units have been worked harder than at any point in history. While they've been getting increasingly more funding, Goure said, they've also been losing seasoned veterans to the Army's Delta Force and the Navy's SEAL Team 6. Those secretive anti-terrorist units, he said, are reportedly growing in size.
Also, many veteran special forces troops have been lured into the booming private security industry, where their skills can command salaries of more than $200,000 a year.
Meanwhile, the pool of Army, Navy and Air Force personnel who meet the rigorous requirements for recruits to special operations units has remained flat. So it makes sense, Goure said, to turn to the Marines, the one service that has an all-but untapped pool of troops who fit the requirements."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 09-25-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: addition

Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
I think he may be talking about the kindergarten Marines.

Young one - what you've seen in video games and on TV is not anything like what you'll experience when you grow up and become old enough to join the military. By the way, most of us with a military background can actually spell, use punctuation, and even correct grammar - it's a skill set you should work on...

Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #27

Default Corpman, scholarships

He may have gotten confused because the Corpman are so close with the Marines. For instance, three of the adult leaders in my unit are Navy Corpman so I have great respect for them.
From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22

Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #28

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Michigan, you might wanna do a bit more research on the Air Force part. You aren't considered an Airman until the week before graduation. Until then you're a Trainee New Guy.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2455 View Post
He may have gotten confused because the Corpman are so close with the Marines. For instance, three of the adult leaders in my unit are Navy Corpman so I have great respect for them.
While you seem to be reasonably literate and polite, the other example in this thread is an absolute toolbox. Since y'all share the same "environment" you do realize that his "professionalism" reflects on you as well...

Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #30

Default Young Marine Literacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While you seem to be reasonably literate and polite, the other example in this thread is an absolute toolbox. Since y'all share the same "environment" you do realize that his "professionalism" reflects on you as well...
Thank you. And I realized this...

Ironically, he outranks me tremendously. I believe he said he was a Sergeant or Staff Sergeant, while I'm still a Recruit.

I guarantee you though, at least in my unit, 99% of the members are polite, literate, and know more about the military.

Young Marines may not teach English class, but promotion packages do involve written sections. I'm uh...curious as to how ReconMarine made such a high rank without punctuation, grammar, or spelling.
From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22