Young Marine and JROTC - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Young Marine and JROTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONMARINE View Post
I am a staff seargent in it about to go into the marine corp if you hit sgt. then you get a ribbon out of boot camp it is the drug demand reduction focul point for the mcl ( marine corp leauge ) ages are 8-18 and you require to go through a 5 month boot vamp some units have drill every weekend or a whole weekend every month from times 9:00 am to 4o pm or 9o am to 1o pm we study the basic history and knowledge of the marine corp like chesty puller archibald hendersond and opha mae johson and alot of other people are uniforms are the basic old wood pat bdu's but i wish we could were digi thank god it isnt an acu though if you wish to find out more or get involved or find a local unit near you go to this link: Young Marines
To expand on this, in my unit we also cover: volunteering, Close Order Drill, Drug Demand Reduction, and lots and lots of PT!
From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22

Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

You have high aspirations, wanting to become a General. You may want to start by becoming a Marine first. OCS(Officers Candidate School) is not a walk in the park by any means. But to experience Parris Island is a whole different ballgame.

Getting into Annapolis is not an easy task either. Good Luck.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2455 View Post
So essentially, you think 90% of officers don't deserve respect from their troops because they weren't enlisted first?

Source: (Marine Officer - Commissioning Programs)
No, I am saying that all Marine Officers deserve respect but going thru boot camp as a part of that is different then not.

A man that has been thru it can lead others better then one that has not, in my opinion.

I encourage you in your quest and if there is anything I can do to help you succeed in your mission please let me know. The world needs more young persons such as yourself.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONMARINE View Post
I am a staff seargent in it about to go into the marine corp if you hit sgt. then you get a ribbon out of boot camp it is the drug demand reduction focul point for the mcl ( marine corp leauge ) ages are 8-18 and you require to go through a 5 month boot vamp some units have drill every weekend or a whole weekend every month from times 9:00 am to 4o pm or 9o am to 1o pm we study the basic history and knowledge of the marine corp like chesty puller archibald hendersond and opha mae johson and alot of other people are uniforms are the basic old wood pat bdu's but i wish we could were digi thank god it isnt an acu though if you wish to find out more or get involved or find a local unit near you go to this link: Young Marines
What, What... A ribbon out of Boot Camp. The only Ribbon the Marine Corps gives out of Boot Camp is the NDSM(National Defense Service Medal). I'm guessing English is not part of the Curriculum.

Last edited by Shihan; 09-24-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #15

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My son is a Sea Cadet. Does that count?

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #16

Default Thanks

Ah thanks for correcting that, though becoming a General would be a very long term goal I meant to say the 1.5" officer stripe. One step at a time!

I think I understand what you mean, however I do believe that officers are not significantly disadvantaged by not going through the Parris Island boot camp. Something to remember is that officers do go through a boot camp, such as the OCC or OCS facility at Quantico.

Thanks, and Semper Fi!

From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
My son is a Sea Cadet. Does that count?
Yes, the Sea Cadets count! Though the Sea Cadet unit in my area and my Young Marines unit have some good rivalry going!
Semper Fidelis

Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #18

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Alex-

Spitty is not saying that he doesnt respect officers. He is saying that those of us that were in the Corps, or still in the Corps, have a different kind of respect for mustangs (prior enlisted officers). It's something you give them because they've been there, been at the bottom, and dealt with the same kind of stuff that you had to deal with. They more often than not remembered where they came from, they lead Marines differently. How can you lead if you've never had to follow. Dont get me wrong, most of the great Marine officers were never enlisted, but a lot were. I always held prior enlisted officers and warrant officers in higher regard than officers straight from college. I have always have some ambition to put on a pair of bars, but only after I had my crossed rifles pinned on first. With that being said, if I was in high school and I happened to have been selected for a service academy, I would skip enlistment and go to Annapolis. For you I would say try to get in the Naval academy, and if you dont, enlist. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, Chesty enlisted first!

chesty_puller.jpg   chesty2.jpg   chesty4.jpg  

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #19

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did Army JROTC in high school. Then I enlisted. I've throught about trying for a commission, but eh it doesn't appeal to me to much as an Air Force officer, possibly as an Army officer but there are a few extra hoops I'd have to jump through for that.

As far as prior-E officers, I've met both kinds, those that were **** hot and those that were just ****

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Actually, I think everyone needs to go thru boot camp. If you want to be a Marine officer that's fine, go thru PI or SD first.

Mustangs do tend to carry a little more weight though. An old CWO4 was one of my favorite guy to work for/with.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer