Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > You won't like reading this one...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default You won't like reading this one...

Pull trigger on new gun laws: On Columbine anniversary, let's close deadly loopholes

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found this very interesting reading and yes, I did enjoy it. I totally agree that people with mental deficiencies should not be allowed to own firearms. This is akin to giving matches to a pyromaniac. If you are adjudicated mental deficient, how can you be held responsible for you actions, so therefore, how can you be a responsible firearm owner?

I believe the definition for responsible includes completely understanding the difference between right and wrong.

So if you hear voices in your head long enough who are you going to listen to? Right or wrong.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Ten years ago to the day, it was Columbine. Two years ago, it was Virginia Tech. This year, Binghamton. The common link between each shooting spree - THE VICTIMS WERE DISARMED, AS REQUIRED BY LAW.
There. I corrected that worthless article.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPond View Post
There. I corrected that worthless article.
This is more along the lines of what I saw wrong with the article - not the idea that we should let criminally-insane people run around with loaded guns.

There were some technical details that scared me a bit, like the part about revoking or not renewing a license because they had a suspicion about Wong's mental stability and criminal potential?!? Read this section of the article closer:

In Binghamton, Jiverly Wong's mental instability had never landed him in trouble with the authorities, and so even had the state supplied its records to the federal authorities, he would have passed the background check all the same. Is there anything, then, that could have prevented him from acquiring guns?

The honest answer is: yes.

In New York, state police can reject applications for gun permits if a person is not of "good moral character," a provision that is intended to keep guns away from those who are known to authorities for exhibiting dangerous behavior. A known drug user, for instance, should be denied a permit. In 1999, police received reports that Wong had a crack cocaine addiction - and was plotting to rob a bank.

This information would have been grounds for denying Wong a permit, except that a lifetime permit had already been granted in 1997... ...Had local police been able to review Wong's re-application in 2000, they would likely have turned him down. And that means Wong would not have been able to purchase the guns he bought in the months and years leading up to the Binghamton shooting spree.

Look at it closer. It says the police received REPORTS that Wong had an addiction and was planning a robbery. Nothing was ever done about it. He never did rob a bank. He was not arrested, but someone reported that he might be doing these things. Sound like the Salem witch trials?!?

He could've been denied a permit because someone called up the police and said something? What if an ex-girlfriend, disgruntled employee, or someone who just doesn't like you decides to make a similar report on you? You are innocent, but all they need is the report to deny you...

Where does it stop? If you accused of drinking too much alcohol or not having a job or something else that isn't status quo? Can I one day be denied access to firearms because my ancestors came from Poland? What about Jewish people? I think violent felons should not be allowed to possess firearms and minors should be restricted to use with adult supervision, but that's about it. Anything else is a very slippery slope.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
This is more along the lines of what I saw wrong with the article - not the idea that we should let criminally-insane people run around with loaded guns.

There were some technical details that scared me a bit, like the part about revoking or not renewing a license because they had a suspicion about Wong's mental stability and criminal potential?!? Read this section of the article closer:

In Binghamton, Jiverly Wong's mental instability had never landed him in trouble with the authorities, and so even had the state supplied its records to the federal authorities, he would have passed the background check all the same. Is there anything, then, that could have prevented him from acquiring guns?

The honest answer is: yes.

In New York, state police can reject applications for gun permits if a person is not of "good moral character," a provision that is intended to keep guns away from those who are known to authorities for exhibiting dangerous behavior. A known drug user, for instance, should be denied a permit. In 1999, police received reports that Wong had a crack cocaine addiction - and was plotting to rob a bank.

This information would have been grounds for denying Wong a permit, except that a lifetime permit had already been granted in 1997... ...Had local police been able to review Wong's re-application in 2000, they would likely have turned him down. And that means Wong would not have been able to purchase the guns he bought in the months and years leading up to the Binghamton shooting spree.

Look at it closer. It says the police received REPORTS that Wong had an addiction and was planning a robbery. Nothing was ever done about it. He never did rob a bank. He was not arrested, but someone reported that he might be doing these things. Sound like the Salem witch trials?!?

He could've been denied a permit because someone called up the police and said something? What if an ex-girlfriend, disgruntled employee, or someone who just doesn't like you decides to make a similar report on you? You are innocent, but all they need is the report to deny you...

Where does it stop? If you accused of drinking too much alcohol or not having a job or something else that isn't status quo? Can I one day be denied access to firearms because my ancestors came from Poland? What about Jewish people? I think violent felons should not be allowed to possess firearms and minors should be restricted to use with adult supervision, but that's about it. Anything else is a very slippery slope.
It never stops. Ever since humans decided to congrgate there has been conflicts and differences. The smarter humans think they are, the worse the issues become. The only time there will be an end is when you no longer belong to the human race. So deal with it, and fight for your cause.