You are witnessing a sever beating next door, what do you do? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > You are witnessing a sever beating next door, what do you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

****, to me my house AND my neighborhood are almost the same level as far as protecting it goes. If I saw some people beating on my neighbors, its about time to reach out and touch somebody

"It is a sin to be silent when it is your duty to protest."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Seanml89; 03-29-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
You have a moral responsibility to intervene.

What about the moral responsibility that you have to take care of your family?

I agree that morals immediately tell you to stop the attack even if it forces you to use lethal force. The reality is that its not such a simple decision.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #23
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
What about the moral responsibility that you have to take care of your family?

I agree that morals immediately tell you to stop the attack even if it forces you to use lethal force. The reality is that its not such a simple decision.
Megaton,
I turly understand your point but think if one of your family members were being attacked. Do you want someone to help them or keep walking because they don't want to get involved? Taking care of your own is a given but those close to us aren't always close to us so we need to others to help them when we aren't there. It might be as small as walking up to ask a person if they are okay, do you need help if they seem in distress and it might be big as shooting someone hurting a person you don't know. It's what I hope most people would do for those that I love when I'm not there to do it and something I would do for anyone. I don't want to be a hero but I can't be the guy that walked passed a person that needed my help because it's easy to do and I don't put myself in a conflict or have a potenal law suite or legal issues for doing the right thing.

Personal safety is a huge issue but if we as a comunity don't act when we see another in need of help are comunity suffers as the criminals prosper and in time crime will find someone you know if we don't all try to prevent it. You don't have to jump in the middle of a fight, at a safe distance you can yell for them to stop, call 911 and take pictures with your camera phone (almost all phones have cameras these days) and continue to yell for help. Imagine the difference if people got truly involved when they see someone in need of help instead of thinking it isn't there business. Better yet imagine someone close to you in need of help and people walking by thinking that isn't there business.

I got my consealed carry license 15 years ago and while the primary use is for personal protection it is also to protect others as I have the abliity to assist them if they need help and also keep myself safe in the process.

I'd rather die trying to help someone that truly need my help than to live and read in the paper that this person was found dead, knowing I could have prevented it.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #24

Don't think that I am a bad person, I am just being honest. If I am walking down the street and see someone pushing a car because it broke down or they ran out of gas I will take the time to help them push. But there is a big difference between lending a helping hand and taking a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Megaton,
It might be as small as walking up to ask a person if they are okay, do you need help if they seem in distress...

You don't have to jump in the middle of a fight, at a safe distance you can yell for them to stop, call 911 and take pictures with your camera phone (almost all phones have cameras these days) and continue to yell for help.
There is a big difference between that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
it might be big as shooting someone hurting a person you don't know.
and this. I think we can all agree on this fact.

Generally speaking, 3-5 men beating another man with weapons are not going to simply stop because a single person tells them to. Simply yelling, "stop, I called the police they are on the way" is not going to make the beating stop if the individuals set on continuing their actions.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #25

How would you handle the situation, given that almost everyone has said they would attempt to stop the beating?

There are 5 attackers, and when you present your weapon and attempt to make them stop, they laugh at you and continue beating the guy. Do you shoot one of the guys who is actively participating in the beating at that moment, or do you shoot the guy who is watching you, waiting to see if there is bite behind your bark?

Do you just keep shooting people until the beating has stopped? Do you attempt to hold the attackers until police arrive or do you let them flee and try to observe them closely to give a description to the police?

Remember, if the attackers get away and don't get caught by the police, they know where you and your family live. You have put your entire family at risk. Are you willing to put your entire family on the line?

Most of the people who responded make it seem like such a cut and dry issue. If its really that cut and dry, then are you saying you are willing to put your families lives on the line to save a complete stranger?

I agree with everyone, and most likely I would help because I am that type of person. I just can't help but play the devils advocate on this issue for the sake of discussion. When it comes to morals, its never cut and dry. There is always going to be a grey area.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

For the average American, I would say you have an obligation to intervene. Calling 911 IS intervention. Beyond the call, the rest is a personal decision. As an LEO, I have a duty to intervene beyond calling 911 if I can do so with out making the situation worse.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #27

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Don't call the police call robocop10mm He will Chuck Norris his way threw any and all attackers. Then leap tall buildgings in a single bound. He will also get cats out of trees.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #28

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hypothetical situation? If the violence turns toward me and there are multiple attackers, I drop the one closest or the leader and retreat with them in sight to maintain distance. If they rush me, I shoot as many as possible before they reach me; but that is not the usual behavior of a group when their buddies are being killed. This equates to driving off a pack of attacking dogs. They deserve the same treatment and level of respect for the danger they present.

As far as my family being threatened, they don't even want to go there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
How would you handle the situation, given that almost everyone has said they would attempt to stop the beating?

There are 5 attackers, and when you present your weapon and attempt to make them stop, they laugh at you and continue beating the guy. Do you shoot one of the guys who is actively participating in the beating at that moment, or do you shoot the guy who is watching you, waiting to see if there is bite behind your bark?

Do you just keep shooting people until the beating has stopped? Do you attempt to hold the attackers until police arrive or do you let them flee and try to observe them closely to give a description to the police?

Remember, if the attackers get away and don't get caught by the police, they know where you and your family live. You have put your entire family at risk. Are you willing to put your entire family on the line?

Most of the people who responded make it seem like such a cut and dry issue. If its really that cut and dry, then are you saying you are willing to put your families lives on the line to save a complete stranger?

I agree with everyone, and most likely I would help because I am that type of person. I just can't help but play the devils advocate on this issue for the sake of discussion. When it comes to morals, its never cut and dry. There is always going to be a grey area.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Don't call the police call robocop10mm He will Chuck Norris his way threw any and all attackers. Then leap tall buildgings in a single bound. He will also get cats out of trees.
Chuck rarely puts a bullet through a BG's brain at close distance. I would have no reservations doing so. Cats out of trees? They come down when they get hungry. If they don't they wil fall out eventually.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #30

Are there any police officers here who can give us some ideas as far as this situation is concerned? I'd like something a little more concrete.