You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

You are witnessing a sever beating next door, what do you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Move to texas! I would have to show someone the muzzle of my gun if they were acting up like that.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You've got to be really certain of what's going on before getting involved, and even if you're on the right side, you might get into trouble.

Here's a little personal story. Almost ten years ago (I was around 17) when I was getting home from the gym the neighbour's door opened and a man came out, dragging a screamming lady from her hair and slapping her. She was crying, he was insulting her.

I confronted him and told him to stop, he insulted me and kept hitting her, at which point I just lost it and decided to make him stop. Long story short, when the police arrived (my mother called them) the guy was on the ground with me on top just rainning down elbow strikes on him.

I was taken to the precinct, and the nice lady who I'd helped suddenly decided to forgive her boyfriend for the beating she took and told the cops that I had just attacked him for no apparent reason. In my country, bare hand attacks from a trained fighter are considered lethal weapon attacks under the law. At the time I was competing in kick boxing tournaments and spent five to six days a week training either boxing, jiu jitsu or muay thai (now I've cut it down to just four days a week!).

Luckily, my mom is a fantastic criminal attorney and she got me out of it without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14122 Times on 5968 Posts
Likes Given: 2343

Run a Google search on the name Kitty Genovese. In 1964, Kitty was attacked, and for a period of 32 minutes stabbed, beaten, robbed and raped, while her neighbors watched from the windows. (In Queens, NYC)

No one did anything except watch.

Call 911. Then if you are able, intervene. In every state that I know of (disclaimer- not an attorney) you have the right to intervene as a citizen when a serious felony (attempted murder) is taking place in front of you. In many states, you have a DUTY to intervene. does not mean you simply walk out and start shooting people- it means a resonable degree of force to meet or overcome force.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I try and help and if thing got ugly and out of hand, I'd pray that someone on the jury would be practicing jury nullification. I know I would under the circumstances.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Doesn't matter if I'm in Illinois or California...or any gun hating state.

I'm going to blow the person's brains out if they don't back off and leave someone alone in that situation.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You have a moral responsibility to intervene. Being prepared and (armed) would help. Don't let yourself get involved physically, for me at 60 that's not an option. Maintain distance and announce you are armed. If the victim looks like they are not going to survive the attack and the attacker will not stop, two rounds into the ground or close to the attacker will get their attention. Hold them for the police. If they threaten you, drop them. If you are in doubt about when to stop shooting, that would be when they quit moving!!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #17

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Well, here's the thing, you may not be able to use lethal force to defend someone else but if you jump in and they attack you, then you are now defending yourself. And since the use of lethal force is justified in situations of self-defense, the tables are quickly turned. I for one wouldn't sit and watch someone else get the tar beat out of them. I would enter the fray with nothing less than a shotgun, order them to stop and when and if they turned on me I would start firing.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You have to try and help and use reasonable force. Four years ago I was leaving a movie with a group of friends and there was a guy beating the heck out of a woman. I yelled at the guy to leave her alone, he told me to go fu&k myself and kept hitting her. I walked over and broke it up. He and I got into a little scrap, to my surprise the girl he had been beating was grabbing me and telling me to leave him alone. The police showed up and asked what was going on. The woman told the officer that her and her boyfriend was arguing and I came up and started hitting her boyfriend. The police interviewed the other people (who all just stood there and watched) and got the real story. Afterwards one of my friends who was there said "that's why I don't get involved in other peoples business". I told him I'd remember that if he ever gets jumped, I'll let him take care of his own business. Even though that woman didn't appreciate my stopping her boyfriend from beating her I'd do the same thing again. I think the only funny part of the whole thing was when the officer came to speak with me I told him I was armed and had a premit to carry. The guy I had a scuffle with went pale when I handed the officer my pistol. They arrested the guy for public intox, he was pissed, he wanted to know why I was getting arrested for hitting him, the officer told him he was lucky I didn't shoot him. When the officer handed my pistol back he thanked me for telling him I was armed right away and for not pulling my firearm to break up the fight.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #19

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Women like that have more problems than I can count on one hand. If I jumped into a fight to help her and she got mad at me then I would have just backed off and said, "Fine, then you can take care of him!" I get tired if trying to help people who don't even have enough respect for themselves to help themselves. They want soemone else to jump in and help them with something but they wont help themselves, I ain't got time for that kind of crap.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It's really a no brainer. Multiple attackers with weapons (tire irons) = justifiable use of deadly force to prevent great bodily harm or death to another.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp