Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   You are witnessing a sever beating next door, what do you do? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/you-witnessing-sever-beating-next-door-what-do-you-do-12307/)

Megaton 03-28-2009 09:01 AM

You are witnessing a sever beating next door, what do you do?

Please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum mods.

I was watching a tv show and it made me think, what would I do? The scenario was a man went to confront a pimp he believed had abducted his daughter and forced her to be a sex slave. The man was beat on the pimps front lawn for 30 minutes or more with tire irons by several individuals before police finally arrived at the scene.

Neighbors called the police, and after the police did not arrive in a timely manor they called the police again and are told the police are 'on the way.'

The sad thing is that all of this was something that really happened. It was an msnbc show on underage sex slaves.

My question is if you are the neighbor witnessing this beating what do you do? Can you legally use lethal force to help this man, or are you forced by the law to watch him get beat potentially to death?

I hate to say it, but my initial thought was that I would probably try to stop the beating without using lethal force and wait for the police to arrive. If the beating continued dispite my efforts, I would probably retreat into my house and defend myself there. The way things are anymore, I would be too scared that I would end up going to prison if I came to the aid of someone that is clearly in danger of losing their life. Sad that we live in a world where putting yourself in danger to save someones life could cost you your freedom.

This is probably largely dependent on the state, but my question is, would you be justified in the court of law if you used lethal force to save somebody being beaten by several others? Regardless of the law, what would you do?

Mark F 03-28-2009 11:04 AM

In Texas, lethal force is OK to help someone else out.

Jesse17 03-28-2009 01:15 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Why do you think that mega (liberal) cities like NY have to pass "Depraved Indifference" laws. It's not because people are just afraid of getting hurt themselves if they come to someones aid. It's just as much because people are afraid of being charged for the act.:mad:

This is similar to the problem with the 'entitlement' programs. We pass laws giving the government tax money to deal out to the out of work and down on luck people. These people never starved before, the community, churches, and neighbors took care of these people. But you better believe they weren't 'entitled' to this charity, and they weren't going to get it if they were a piece-of-Pelosi, thug too lazy to work. (but that's another rant)

Now that we've made it the governments problem, it lets us just ignore those in need, with a clear conscience, because "It's not our problem"; "We already paid our taxes for programs for people like that."

Similarly, we already pay for police protection. It's not our problem if they're getting mugged, it's the polices. "I'm not risking going to jail to help someone else."

I have to say, if I see someone in need, I'm going to help, and I'm going to use whatever tool I need to do it! Here in Montana I'm sure I could get away with it. I doubt the law is technically on my side, but the police and judges tend to use common sense here.

/rant off

bobbyb13 03-28-2009 01:25 PM

When I was a much, much younger man. (kid)

I was a 10 or 12 year old kid. Dad and I were at the stock market, when a young a$$hole in his 20's stared giving a older Gent hell over some stock that was being sold. I'll never forget, a Nickel plated pistol apperaring in the old guys hand, and his statement. "Feller you best get away from me, or you're gonna be walking the streets of hell in a second." Made one heck of a impression on this kid.

SGT-MILLER 03-28-2009 01:30 PM

If you witness a crime, but do nothing to help the victim, you are as bad as the person committing the crime.

...nuff said.

bobbyb13 03-28-2009 01:42 PM

There it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER (Post 88217)
If you witness a crime, but do nothing to help the victim, you are as bad as the person committing the crime.

...nuff said.

And, well said.

robocop10mm 03-28-2009 02:05 PM

Each State's laws are different. In Texas you can use deadly force to defend a third person from imminent death or serious bodily injury.

Morally, I don't care what State I am in. I will call 911 and assist the person in danger.

user4 03-28-2009 02:14 PM

It sucks not knowing the facts in such a situation. I know if MY child were abducted, I would murder/torture my way through every villainous f*ck in remote association with the industry until I found her. Maybe not the acceptable answer, but you NEVER touch another man's children.

Gojubrian 03-28-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER (Post 88217)

...nuff said.

Exactly. Intervene no matter what the consequences.

Benning Boy 03-28-2009 03:42 PM

Foregoing the fact that you should always be armed appropriately when going to confront the kingpin of a sex slave ring, if it was one on one, I'd let them work it out. When multiple thugs beat one guy with tire irons, you've kicked it up a notch, and I'm in there.;)