Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > For You Wine Drinkers to stock up -Undersea Volcano Threatens Italy, Says Scientist!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1806 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 3682

Default For You Wine Drinkers to stock up -Undersea Volcano Threatens Italy, Says Scientist!

Europe's largest undersea volcano could disintegrate and unleash a tsunami that would engulf southern Italy "at any time,” a prominent vulcanologist warned Monday.

FOXNews.com - Undersea Volcano Threatens Italy, Says Scientist

Europe's largest undersea volcano could disintegrate and unleash a tsunami that would engulf southern Italy "at any time,” a prominent vulcanologist warned in an interview published Monday.

The Marsili volcano, which is bursting with magma, has "fragile walls" that could collapse, Enzo Boschi told the leading daily Corriere della Sera.

"It could even happen tomorrow," said Boschi, president of the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV).

"Our latest research shows that the volcano is not structurally solid, its walls are fragile, the magma chamber is of sizable dimensions," he said. "All that tells us that the volcano is active and could begin erupting at any time."

The event would result in "a strong tsunami that could strike the coasts of Campania, Calabria and Sicily," Boschi said.

The undersea Marsili, 9,800 feet tall and located some 90 miles southwest of Naples, has not erupted since the start of recorded history. It is 44 miles long and 19 miles wide, and its crater is about a quarter mile below the surface of the Tyrrhenian Sea.

"A rupture of the walls would let loose millions of cubic meters of material capable of generating a very powerful wave," Boschi said.

"While the indications that have been collected are precise, it is impossible to make predictions. The risk is real but hard to evaluate."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I saw this. Underwater ROV recorded activity last Jan or Feb. It "could" not "would" generate a very large tsunami capable of swallowing Sicily....

On the other hand, it could do nothing drastic but produce another island with little effect to the Pacific.

On the other side of the world, the megavolcano under Yosemite could blow in the next few seconds.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

*no more Mafia

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1) I buy my wine from the west coast of the U.S.

2) There is no such thing as the mafia. The label is attached to a handful of friends who help themselves to things that fall of trucks. What's so wrong about that?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

This would be a boon for the US vinyards. Texas has some very acceptable wines. I see jobs on the horizon!!!!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Northern Ohio has some fine vineyards as well.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!