You Think Electric Vehicles Not Viable? Think Again.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > You Think Electric Vehicles Not Viable? Think Again.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8322 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10792

Default You Think Electric Vehicles Not Viable? Think Again.

An electric bike wins overall motorcycle class at Pike's Peak International Hill Climb!

http://m.digitaltrends.com/cars/electric-motorcycle-takes-charge-at-pikes-peak-race-shames-even-gas-powered-rivals/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085148_pikes-peak-electric-car-contenders-how-they-finished

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.badboybuggies.com/sport.html

Not cheap, but very cool and less noise and smell to scare the deer.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 957 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
http://www.badboybuggies.com/sport.html

Not cheap, but very cool and less noise and smell to scare the deer.
Yes. They are cool and there is certainly a market ready for them when the product and price is right. These are almost twice what a comparable Polaris Ranger runs and I can fill mine up with gas at my no-power camp.
When the battery life/service improves and the price drops, I will go that way!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #4

Liked 930 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 676

I love a huge carbon footprint myself. Two degrees in Geology and find the global warming thing a complete joke. We are years away from green energy being viable. It cost a fortune to charge them stupid vehicles.

USMC 74-78

People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #5

I have a totally affordable 12.5 kW solar power system on my house that is "paying for itself" by offsetting my normal energy costs. No electric or plug-in electric car yet, but it will happen. My best friend has a completely off-grid house and shop that has a 10 kW solar power system and also has a Nissan Leaf that he charges off of solar. No cost at all to him to charge the car. If you are on-grid the cost per mile for propelling the car is less than 4 cents a mile. For a comparable gasoline powered car the fuel costs are 10 cents per mile and higher. This is not including engine maintenance costs which are not a factor with electric vehicles. Also, brake wear is significantly less due to the regenerative braking in an electric car so that further reduces the operating costs.

I have many friends who have electric vehicles that are charged via solar power. It is viable and becoming more and more competitive with gasoline power ever day. To say that green energy is not viable and that it costs a fortune to charge them is painfully ignorant of the reality. On that last point an all-electric vehicle can be charged for a couple of bucks, versus how much does it cost you to fill your tank?

I am not saying that everybody needs to run out and replace their favorite car with an electric car by any means. if you have a very long commute then an electric is not for you (especially if you can't charge it at work).

I have a friend who got a Chevy Volt. He has used 9 gallons of gas in 10,000 miles. That puts his gasoline costs at $.0036 per mile. The best part is that he is not at all constrained by the limited range of an all-electric platform. He has become so enamored with the electric cars that he is replacing the Volt with a Tesla Model S all-electric sedan when the lease is up on the Volt in 2 years. By that time Tesla will have charging stations installed all over the nation so range will not be a problem.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
orangello Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Engines that burn air are at a disadvantage when you are 14,110 above sea level

*GASP! PANT! WHEEEZE! *

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

*GASP! PANT! WHEEEZE! *
That they are my friend! I have been up Pike's Peak and it was quite taxing on my lungs, and I was in excellent shape at the time! No wonder that naturally aspirated IC vehicles are a rarity these days and rarely make any news at Pike's.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Soon as someone comes up with a way to manufacture batteries that dont dump billions of poumds of waste more toxic than spent nuclear fuel rods into the environment and cost equal to gas power with the same or better maintenance cost and the same charge times as filling at the pump im there.

There is a reason cheverolet makes all their volt batteries in china. In china there is no epa telling em they cant dump their toxins into the rivers...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1715 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

I moved from Colorado Springs in Aug of 04 and went to the hill climb. At that time the road was still dirt from Halfway camp ground to the top. Looks strange paved all the way to the top. Also that year there was an electric car ran up and that thing was impressive. When they announced an electric car I thought this is going to take a while but that thing was moving as well as it's fossil fuel powered brethren.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
I love a huge carbon footprint myself. Two degrees in Geology and find the global warming thing a complete joke. We are years away from green energy being viable. It cost a fortune to charge them stupid vehicles.
I hope your work dumps tailings on bear nurseries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am not saying that everybody needs to run out and replace their favorite car with an electric car by any means.
I just want aftermarket "booster wheel" kits to let me add electric rear wheel drive to my lil 4banger (and the suspension upgrade and the brake changes and the ...). The increase in acceleration would be phenomenal.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/08/06/student-hybrid-car-project-could-bring-millions-to-tennessee-university/ That is a year old article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

*GASP! PANT! WHEEEZE! *
Nothing belongs that high up but cages for bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
...There is a reason cheverolet makes all their volt batteries in china. In china there is no epa telling em they cant dump their toxins into the rivers...
Sounds good; let's pollute the heck out of China, Russia, all of the 'stans. Send them some rabid bears too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
I moved from Colorado Springs in Aug of 04 and went to the hill climb. At that time the road was still dirt from Halfway camp ground to the top. Looks strange paved all the way to the top. Also that year there was an electric car ran up and that thing was impressive. When they announced an electric car I thought this is going to take a while but that thing was moving as well as it's fossil fuel powered brethren.
I think that hill climb should be made more challenging by the use of live bear anchors..."all the way up; you stop it'll eat you".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-24-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This