You Know You're a Gun Nut If - Page 132
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > You Know You're a Gun Nut If

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #1311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If he don't fu*k up that slide release, he can use what I've got and we'll work on collecting them as we go.

Lucky for me, I have a spare. And it happens to be in my car.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #1312
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3189 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
He's more interested in design than anything. He told me he wants to join the Marines like me, but he doesn't want to fight, he wants to invent better guns. (Yeah...I think a different career path would be better for that than the Marine Corps).

He's built functional spring loaded Lego guns.

Right now all he wants to do is watch gun videos on YouTube. But I gave him a job to do. I told him, "if you want to design guns... make my 1911 fit in it's new holster better."

I handed him my gun (unloaded of course, and double checked by him) and it's new holster. It took him about 5 seconds to confirm what I already knew. The sharp corners on my extended slide release need to be contoured. I gave him a file, took the gun apart and gave him the slide release. He's sitting in the office right now watching Larry Potterfield on YouTube while he works on it.

I'm gonna have to get him a real gun soon. He's already bitched about not being able to work with the plastic on his pellet rifle.
Trip that's a good young man you have there,...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #1313
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8313 Times on 4805 Posts
Likes Given: 10774

Trip,
Be careful or pretty soon your kid will know more about guns than you do. I know it happened to me a couple of years ago. It used to piss of mom to no end when on a rainy night when the power went out instead of playing Monopoly I would pull some buns out of the safe and we would time each other stripping them down and putting them back together.

My youngest (now 16) can strip a Garand in no time flat. More often than not when we are at the range and somebody has an issue, the boys can fix it while I just shoot the sh!t with the guy who was having trouble. Truth is I do that because they are better at it than I am!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #1314
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Trip,
Be careful or pretty soon your kid will know more about guns than you do. I know it happened to me a couple of years ago. It used to piss of mom to no end when on a rainy night when the power went out instead of playing Monopoly I would pull some buns out of the safe and we would time each other stripping them down and putting them back together.

My youngest (now 16) can strip a Garand in no time flat. More often than not when we are at the range and somebody has an issue, the boys can fix it while I just shoot the sh!t with the guy who was having trouble. Truth is I do that because they are better at it than I am!
my father gave me the love of firearms and taught me quite a lot about them growing up. he taught me about reloading and even though he has passed all of his equipment to me, i still ask his advice on reloading still. but i have surpassed my father when it comes to working on firearms and he brings his guns to me now when they need some attention or repair. but in all fairness, i would not be able to have surpassed his skills without his teaching me about them at an early age.

thanks to my Dad for giving me the love of firearms
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #1315
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
...Truth is I do that because they are better at it than I am!
Then you are a successful father.

BZ

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

People Like This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #1316

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

OMG yes. I do this all the time.
I do the same
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #1317

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

i'd like a set for my Dodge truck!
How bout my Mini Cooper?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #1318
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjkf View Post
How bout my Mini Cooper?
you would need Derringers for that small a car!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #1319

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

He won't let me look at his work so far. Kinda has me worried. He says he'll be done soon though.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #1320
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
He's more interested in design than anything. He told me he wants to join the Marines like me, but he doesn't want to fight, he wants to invent better guns. (Yeah...I think a different career path would be better for that than the Marine Corps).
That's basically my dream job, and what I'm working towards. A degree in Mechanical Engineering would help a lot (I don't know if it's 100% necessary, especially if you are starting your own business, but it will help a lot.) Even if the gun design thing doesn't work out, there are a LOT of things he could do with that degree. Most I have seen pay $80K+ per year.

Don't you have a friend who works at Daniel Defense? He'd probably be able to tell you what he needs to get into that career.