Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   You know what i really HATE!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/you-know-what-i-really-hate-65105/)

ktmboyz 05-25-2012 02:11 AM

You know what i really HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was the effin d bag that decided they would save .50 cent per billion rounds to use small pistol primers in 45 acp..

Nothing will kill a good run on the progressive press than a small primer case slipping through. Seems every time I get back in a good rhythm I get another. I have looked through most of the cases before they hit the case feeder but I guess my eyes suck bad enough I can always tell em apart:mad:

Ok I'm done ,, just had to vent !!

sputnik1988 05-25-2012 02:16 AM

Back in the day a case the size of a .45 needed a large primer, nowadays its not necessary, if they want to save a few dollars to keep the price down, I'm all for it.

Rick1967 05-25-2012 02:19 AM

I know exactly what you mean! It is bad enough to stop in the middle of a run...without having to be remided that I am growing old!

fmj 05-25-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 813456)
Back in the day a case the size of a .45 needed a large primer, nowadays its not necessary, if they want to save a few dollars to keep the price down, I'm all for it.

Last i checked the price HASNT stayed down...THAT is why i reload!!

Trez 05-25-2012 02:29 AM

Whats the big deal? Im super picky about my brass anyways, I always separate by headstamp and try my best to keep boxes together.... :rolleyes:
But then again I dont have a progressive, just a single stage....

texaswoodworker 05-25-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 813487)
Whats the big deal? Im super picky about my brass anyways, I always separate by headstamp and try my best to keep boxes together.... :rolleyes:
But then again I dont have a progressive, just a single stage....

Somebody's a little OCD about their brass. :p

I don't have a 45 ACP (yet), but I would probably get a little pissed off too about finding one that uses small primes in a batch of ones that use large primers. Mostly because I'm lazy and wouldn't want to go through the trouble of checking every case for primer size. I also wouldn't want to have to have two different boxes of primers open when I reload, that just confuses things.

kycol 05-25-2012 10:54 AM

I'm just saying it sounds like you picking up other peoples brass for free. Now there's nothing wrong with that I give mine away every time I shoot, but wow to complain about it.

fmj 05-25-2012 12:31 PM

I could be wrong...but isnt just federal thats doing this?

I have yet to have an issue with any Win, CCI, UMC, or assorted other brass i have.

RiverRat68 05-27-2012 04:12 AM

Small Primers in .45 ACP

KTMBOYZ, the small primers in .45 ACP has nothing to do with saving money. All .45 ACP that are "Non-Toxic" will have small primers. I work for a company that recycles once "fired brass". I has been proven that the most toxic part of a cartridge being fired is residue from the primer. In order to make a cartridge truly "Non-Toxic", a new explosive had to be developed for that round. This new explosive proved to be too "hot" for the large pistol primers. Hence, the small primers in the .45 ACP. Since we buy "once fired" brass by the ton, it creates a lot of extra work for us, as it all has to be hand sorted :)

ktmboyz 05-27-2012 12:37 PM

Ahh thanks for clearing that up riverrat... Its still a pain in the a** lol How do you guys recycle ? sell once fired brass ? and that must be a real thorn in your side to have to go through every one by hand:eek: