Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > You know we are getting screwed by the car companies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I have never had a Honda car but I had Honda bikes. If the cars are half as good as their bikes It will run for ever and run good.

My wife has a Toyota Matrix with 104,000 miles on it it doesn't smoke. We have never had a single thing break other than a light bulb and a door lock (Which some how fixed itself). We have never had to do the breaks the only thing we have ever had to replace are the tires. I complain about the car because I don't like how it fits me but boy has that been a great car. I have a Saturn Ion and with 30,000 miles on it and the tires need replaced already and the front spoiler is falling off.

I am looking to replace my car with a truck when I get a new car in a few years. I am really looking hard at a Toyota or Nissan Truck.

Most foreign cars are made right here in the USA and are more made in America than Chevy and fords are.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What does an Australian vintage car look like? never mind they don't have any. The are a use and toss nation. Google and see what most Ausi's drive, it wasn't in any of those in the clip.

Here are a couple of examples you won't see in Ausi, the first is clasic and the second is 32 years latter and will be a clasic

1968camaro5rightside.jpg   camaro-g4.jpg  

Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #13

WOW looks like they got a few to me.

But who am I.

To call that hunk of Mexican steel and plastic a classic is blasphemy. Esp when it has some kiddy bumper cover on it to make it look like crap even more.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I will always buy American cars. My current daily driver is a 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0
V6 and a 5 speed. Currently has 265,000 miles on it, runs like a champ! Doesn't use and oil and everything works down to the A/C and the cruise control. The only thing I've ever done to it is brakes, tires, a water pump and it's had a clutch. I do all of my own work so I've spent very little money on it over the past 9 years that I've had it. I love it, it's paid for, cheap to insure, does everything I need as far as towing and hauling, and it keeps me comfortable the whole time.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I will always buy American cars. My current daily driver is a 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0
V6 and a 5 speed. Currently has 265,000 miles on it, runs like a champ! Doesn't use and oil and everything works down to the A/C and the cruise control. The only thing I've ever done to it is brakes, tires, a water pump and it's had a clutch. I do all of my own work so I've spent very little money on it over the past 9 years that I've had it. I love it, it's paid for, cheap to insure, does everything I need as far as towing and hauling, and it keeps me comfortable the whole time.
Then why is your avatar an MG or something along that line hard to tell in that tiny picture. (NOT AMERICAN)....

Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Then why is your avatar an MG or something along that line hard to tell in that tiny picture. (NOT AMERICAN)....
I was kid in highschool when I got into them, I sold that car years ago, it became my av because it spawned my name, spittinfire. It's a Triumph Spitfire. Every other car I've ever owned has been American and all of them were Fords now that I think about it.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

australian cars usually have a bit less power then their american counterparts. especially the muscle cars. and they have very few fullsize pickups and suvs.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I built this one from the ground up.

lsidev-1.jpg  

Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I built this one from the ground up.
nice! I'll have to dig up some pics of my past projects. I had 3 Spitfires in high school, still got my 67 Mustang Fastback, helped my dad with his 65 coupe and I've had a couple of early Broncos.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #20

Threads have a tendancy to wander, but I think I started the American car thing with my comment that I was looking at Civics. Spitinfire, you driving a 94 Ranger is good, but honestly, you nor I are really helping the American car manufacuturers by driving 15 year old vehicles. My Chevy is a '93. Have you checked where 90% of the parts are coming from that we have to install in place of the worn out parts? Not from here. Even if you by FoMoCo or I by GM or Delco, it is probably not from here. Here's a great thing about American cars: Your motor in your Ranger, it's a Mazda. From Japan. See what I meant when I posted my first response (post)? Even if we buy American, are they really American? Designed, tested, built and installed in America. Probably not. So, if I buy a Chevy built in Canada or Mexico, am I really doing anything worse than buying a Honda built in the US?

Here's my dilemma: My current cars are: 72 Monte Carlo, 93 Z-28, 94 Mazda truck (same truck as your Ford) , 93 Chevy truck and a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. The Trailblazer, being the newest and most representative of the newer GM cars available, is not that great of a vehicle. Why? Fuel economy. I took it back twice and they laughed at me. It has never gotten anywhere close to the advertised MPG and the drivability was horrible prior to me getting an aftermarket tune for the vehicle. (Not something that I would typically spend $$ on, but I felt I had no choice.) It runs/shifts great now, but the economy is still not the greatest, but it is better... just a tad. The A/C system is inadequate at low speeds too. So, I am a tried and true GM guy which is the same as being a pro-American car manufacturer guy. However, I wish I would have bought the Armada or Sequioia, which were both a couple of bucks more, would have gotten the same or better MPG, held their value better and been much more pleasurable to drive from the very beginning.

So, when I send my kid off to school 3 hours away and he'll be running up the mileage coming back and forth for 4-5 years on weekends here and there, I'll more than likely buy a Honda because I know that I can probably change oil, put tires and brakes on it, the entire time, and that will be it.

Sorry to rant. I feel better now.