Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   You know it's Summer when... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/you-know-its-summer-when-24414/)

zhuk 03-09-2010 06:28 AM

You know it's Summer when...

Week of the snake bites: victim No.8

http://www.wildflorida.com/wildlife/...ressler463.jpg
Brown Snake

GEORGINA ROBINSON

March 9, 2010 - 4:49PM

A woman was bitten by a snake in the Blue Mountains this afternoon, the second attack today and the eighth in six days.

A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said the woman, believed to in her 40s, was bitten on the foot on Hawkesbury Road at Winmalee just before 3pm.

She was taken to Nepean Hospital in a serious but stable condition, with "extreme pain" in her foot, the spokeswoman said.

It is not known what type of snake bit her.

In the early hours today, a snake handler was bitten on the face twice by a deadly brown snake at his Aberdeen home in the upper Hunter region.

Five people were bitten in a three-hour period in different parts of the state on Saturday.

And a four-year-old boy spent two days in hospital after being bitten by a suspected red belly black snake at Badgerys Creek, in western Sydney last Thursday.

The Ambulance Service said the jump in snake bites could reflect "the high incidence of wet, overcast but warm conditions" combined with a few dry days here and there.

Australian Reptile Park general manager Mary Rayner said last month the park had recorded a "huge increase" in snake-identification requests on its website, as well as many phone calls.

Week of the snake bites: victim No. 8

The armourer for my club ran over a brown snake the other week out at the range...he thought it was a stick, heh. Yeah they ARE a protected species, but I personally wouldn't have any compunction 'helping one on its way'...pretty volatile & irritable in the humid Summer, and are the 2nd most toxic land snake in the world.

Gojubrian 03-09-2010 06:33 AM

You guys have way too many deadly critters down there. :eek:

zhuk 03-09-2010 06:43 AM

Yeah there are a few...lol

The Inland Taipan (world's No #1)
The Small-scaled Snake or Western Taipan
Common Brown Snake (no #2)
Tiger Snake
Death Adder
Mulga Snake or King Brown Snake
Rough-scaled Snake
Sea-snake
Copperhead Snake
Red-back Spider
Funnel-web Spider
Saltwater Crocodile
Great White Shark
Australian Paralysis Tick
The Box Jellyfish
Blue-ringed Octopus
Puffer Toadfish
Stonefish
Blue Bottle or Portuguese Man-o-War
Irukandji Jellyfish (the one where you fall into unconsciousness while still screaming lol)
Coneshell

and probably others I've forgotten :p

zhuk 03-09-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class273 (Post 244005)
Good f'ing grief. Ban snakes not guns.

Dammit that's bumper-sticker material right there. Think I'm gonna make one :p

Gojubrian 03-09-2010 08:52 AM

It's pretty simple here. We have lots of snakes, but only four that can kill you.

Rattlesnakes - these come in various types, but are easily identifiable by their triangular head and....rattlers tail. :rolleyes:

Cottonmouths- some people call them water moccasins, but it's the same. They are short fat snakes with a stumpy tail, they stink, are dark colored, and have a large triangular shaped head too.

Copperheads- They sort of look camoflaged. Not near as aggressive as rattlers, and certainly not as much as the territorial moccasins, but they're still poisonous. I was bitten on the hand by one of these a long time ago but it did not invenomate.

Coral snake - red on yellow,kill a fellow. There are vertically striped red, yellow,and black snakes found mostly in Florida. Not likely to bite because they are tiny and non aggressive.

None of these comes close to the deadliness of the Brown snake!

spittinfire 03-09-2010 11:17 AM

Rattlesnakes don't typically kill you and copperheads are posionous but not deadly. Don't know much about the other two, only how to ID them.

Zhuk, if I lived in a place like that I wouldn't leave the house without a shotgun!

AcidFlashGordon 03-09-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 244027)
Rattlesnakes don't typically kill you and copperheads are posionous but not deadly. Don't know much about the other two, only how to ID them.

Zhuk, if I lived in a place like that I wouldn't leave the house without a shotgun!

And that shotgun should be THIS baby:

cpttango30 03-09-2010 02:20 PM

I don't ever id snakes. I shoot first and ask questions later. Slimy low crawling muther effers.

The only good snake is an effing dead one.

AcidFlashGordon 03-09-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 244096)
I don't ever id snakes. I shoot first and ask questions later. Slimy low crawling muther effers.

The only good snake is an effing dead one.

At least they taste like chicken....... http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/bolt.gif

Glasshartt 03-09-2010 07:18 PM

It's a little early, but I got my first rattler of the year Sunday night. He was just a little baby though. I got about 6 last year including one that was at least 3 feet long and about a big around as a good sized cucumber. He was squirming so much that once I had his head in the tongs, I had to pick his body up with my left hand to get control of him to put him in the bag. Took him, and all the others, out into the desert and released him. He would have made some nice 1911 grips though.