Are You Justified? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Are You Justified?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm with call 911, put my headlights on the altercation going on, exit the vehicle phone in one hand and pistol in the other. I'd position myself so that I had a clear shot at the perp and fire one shot over the top of the struggling pair. I would order the dumb ass off the officer. If he even looks like he is going to throw another punch, I'd shoot him all the while having 911 on the phone.

If he gets off, and is responsive to my orders to get on his knees with his hands behind his head, I'd hold him at gunpoint until the officer told me to drop my point of aim.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #12

^^^ That sounds like a good sensible levelheaded course of action, I like your style Dune

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I strongly believe that if you have a weapon and you have chosen to carry it, you have an obligation to ( insert your cosmic force here - Fate, Karma, God )to help.

In the situation as described, I am not taking the time to call 911 first, because I do not know how much longer the cop has. Has s/he already been knocked cold? Will the person in control go for the officer's gun next?

The "Why" there is a civilian beating the hell out of a cop can certainly be debated. For all we know it could be one off duty cop and one on duty cop who are having a go at one another because one was sleeping with the other's wife.

What matters is one person in a uniform is getting their ass handed to them and based on how I was brought up, that is not allowed in my presence. The same would go for a grown up beating the hell out of a kid or a domestic situation.

I think back to the day when I was kid, about 1,000 years ago apparently based on where society is today, and if I told my old man that I saw a cop in trouble and didn't help, I am not sure if my old man would have beat me senseless or never spoke to me again.

Neither option would have been acceptable to me then and I can't say anything has changed. I would definitely get involved.

JD

If you take too much time "thinking" about what "may" actually be happening, The officer will likely be dead or very seriously injured. Go with your belief and stick to it. It is all that matters. If your belief is the officer is being assaulted in a deadly manner, you have no choice. One or two the the BG's head.

Try to call 911 first but call eventually to go on the record as having called ASAP. Be prepared to prone out at the first sign of a backup unit. You do not want to become the victim of that officer's "belief" that you are the BG. You may initially take a couple of whacks, but there will be apologies after. (not to excuse the whacks, but officers are human).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Officer Down!!

Use police radio to call for help. Pull your gun and fire warning shot. Then ask the guy why he's beating on the officer, If he say's that the officer has been doing his wife, I'll say have a nice day and go back to the car and say false alarm. If he needs help I'll be more than greatfull to shoot the purp for him.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^ I agree Robo. I was saying that trying to figure out "why" the situation was happening wouldn't be a real pressing thing for me personally.

I don't care personally, what I do care about is that there is a person in uniform getting a beatdown. The same would hold true if some random civilian like a Milton was getting beatdown by some gorilla.

And I would understand, and while not exactly "prepared" for some aggressive response from the PD, I accept that I might be seen as an additional "bad guy" by responding units. Cops are humans and when one of their own is down, they take that seriously.

What I can not live with, for me personally, would be to witness something and spend the rest of my days wondering "What if I could have done something?".

I am pretty sure my old man would be waiting for me in the afterlife to get an answer to that question.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Is this a test? Who the heck wouldn't stop to render assistance to the cop -- or anyone -- by getting the guy off him?

(Flip it around: if it was a big cop pounding the bejeebus out of someone, I'd stop then, too.)

Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Is this a test? Who the heck wouldn't stop to render assistance to the cop -- or anyone -- by getting the guy off him?

(Flip it around: if it was a big cop pounding the bejeebus out of someone, I'd stop then, too.)
Apparently, many would rather break out the video camera.

I posted awhile back about assisting an officer who fell and was injured. I still see her around, and she still thanks me each time.

With the anti-cop sentiment I often see pop up even here, I sometimes ask these things just to make sure I'm not alone in respecting what these guys do for us.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I'm with call 911, put my headlights on the altercation going on, exit the vehicle phone in one hand and pistol in the other. I'd position myself so that I had a clear shot at the perp and fire one shot over the top of the struggling pair. I would order the dumb ass off the officer. If he even looks like he is going to throw another punch, I'd shoot him all the while having 911 on the phone.

If he gets off, and is responsive to my orders to get on his knees with his hands behind his head, I'd hold him at gunpoint until the officer told me to drop my point of aim.
Something like this & then later ask the officer if he has any contraband i can help him dispose of.

edit*Unless it was JCSO deputy; i wouldn't even slow down for a bribe solicitation gone wrong. I never turn my back on one of those boys, their department is & has been so full of corrupt scum bags no decent officer will stay.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-17-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Rewritten for local conditions:

You're driving along a fairly deserted road at night. You see the lights up ahead, a cop has someone pulled over.

As you get closer, you see some ground and pound going on. And the cop is recieving. He's alone, with no back up, and the guy doing the pounding is twice the cop's size.

You have your cell phone, which has no coverage outside the major cities since the Govt shut down the CDMA network, and a tyre iron in the back which you could not legally use anyway as the BG is unarmed.

What do you do?

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Rewritten for local conditions:

You're driving along a fairly deserted road at night. You see the lights up ahead, a cop has someone pulled over.

As you get closer, you see some ground and pound going on. And the cop is recieving. He's alone, with no back up, and the guy doing the pounding is twice the cop's size.

You have your cell phone, which has no coverage outside the major cities since the Govt shut down the CDMA network, and a tyre iron in the back which you could not legally use anyway as the BG is unarmed.

What do you do?
Hahaha pull over and politely request him to stop..