Are You Justified?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Are You Justified?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Are You Justified?

You're driving along a fairly deserted road at night. You see the lights up ahead, a cop has someone pulled over.

As you get closer, you see some ground and pound going on. And the cop is recieving. He's alone, with no back up, and the guy doing the pounding is twice the cop's size.

You have your cell phone, and your trusty CCW.

What do you do?

Not what is the logical choice, what do you actually do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #2

I hope an LEO can weigh in on this, because I gotta tell you, I'm doing what it takes to see the cop get home at the end of the shift. I don't know if that's prudent, but I know it's the right thing.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

First I'd call 911 for assistance. Then pull the gun and order the perp to the ground. He'd have about ten seconds to comply before I put one in him.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #4

I'm thinking phone in one hand and piece in the other. I want 911 to record this as it goes down.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Call 911 tell them OFFICER DOWN give location and that you are going to subdue the BG and assist the police officer and that your name is Billy Ford and you have a CCW.

I would then while on phone order the guy to stop or I will shoot. If he doesn't stop I shoot him till he does. Then I assist the officer with first aid till back up and units arrive. I understand that they are more than likely going to pick me up and cuff and stuff me. I haven't got a problem with that. It is called controlling the scene. Once they figured out that I was the good guy more than likely I would taken out and un-cuffed.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is what I would do. First dial 911, then I would do a flying,spinning super somersault-round house front kick to the front of the back of the bad guys head.
Then I would realize that I'm not Chuck Norris and would dial 911, grab the shovel handle I have in the back of the jeep(used to prop up the hatch)and proceed to crack the guy about the head and neck, if that didn't stop him, I would step back and draw my weapon. Well depending on how bad off the officer was I might just draw on him first without trying to soften up his head. My goal would be to give the Officer the time to get control of the guy, if he was unable to, and the guy came at me, then all bets are off.
Whenever I am traveling in my vehicle and see a LEO has someone pulled over, I allways slow way down and look to see if he is OK, my Father was a cop and I know that if he was making a solo stop and someone was getting the better of him, then I would want, no, expect, someone to jump in and help. Although a lot of the cops in my town are young tough guy pecker-heads, if they needed help then I would do whatever I could to help.
DISCLAIMER: Remember I live in Jersey so there is no CCW.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

If it were me, I'd hope somebody would jump in there.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I strongly believe that if you have a weapon and you have chosen to carry it, you have an obligation to ( insert your cosmic force here - Fate, Karma, God )to help.

In the situation as described, I am not taking the time to call 911 first, because I do not know how much longer the cop has. Has s/he already been knocked cold? Will the person in control go for the officer's gun next?

The "Why" there is a civilian beating the hell out of a cop can certainly be debated. For all we know it could be one off duty cop and one on duty cop who are having a go at one another because one was sleeping with the other's wife.

What matters is one person in a uniform is getting their ass handed to them and based on how I was brought up, that is not allowed in my presence. The same would go for a grown up beating the hell out of a kid or a domestic situation.

I think back to the day when I was kid, about 1,000 years ago apparently based on where society is today, and if I told my old man that I saw a cop in trouble and didn't help, I am not sure if my old man would have beat me senseless or never spoke to me again.

Neither option would have been acceptable to me then and I can't say anything has changed. I would definitely get involved.

JD

Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #9

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I've stated before on this forum that I have no great affection for LEO's. But i have before and will again come to the aid of an officer, or any person who I believe is being beat down unjustly.

I believe it to be the responsibility of those that can, to do

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

First, call 911 and inform them you will be assisting a down officer, your location, name and that you have a CCW.

Second, come up behind the two, which both will undoubtedly be oblivious of my presence and strike one or several blows to BG, knocking him off the officer. Once I got his attention, then if necessary, pull my weapon and warn him, keep him at bay till the officer regains poseur to draw his own weapon and/or handcuff him, and regain control of the scene.

I carry an expandable baton in all my vehicles and bikes for such occasions or in cases of uneven odds, bladed weapons or no-firearm situations for backup in case I ever need to reach out and get someone's focused attention quickly and very painfully. I will draw my firearm in last resort.

Disclaimer: Expandable batons not legal for carry in all states. Your actions may vary.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”