Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > You guys and gals with daughters (and maybe sons too)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
That was what I was asking, I wouldn't either. My Dad was with me and my daughter too. This is the only game my ex wasn't able to attend, I found out she ended up transporting part of the team a couple of times too.

As for being there I have been to all of them, my ex missed 1, and even my mother has been to all but one of them. Some of the parents I have never seen, a couple of mothers have been almost all them. One father makes all of the Sat games and some of the later weeknight games. I don't get not being there to cheer them on.
Some people do use it as a babysitting service, and in all reality, it's probably a cheaper alternative. That doesn't make it right. As far as transporting these kids, always CYA. Kids these days are not a bit reluctant to make things up, and it's not at all uncommon for them to band together in their lies against you. Thankfully, the great majority wouldn't do that, but with my luck I always play it safe.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Don't immediately jump to the conclusion of babysitting... although in almost every case you're correct

At least a couple of times we had to choose between the children's events. Several times we split, but at least a couple, it was dumping one kid, because the other event was too important!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #23

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Seen stuff like this a bunch. Sure when I was 11 I could be gone all day and no one really knew where I was. But, I was odten at friends houses where there was a parent and I was required to check in if I had a change in plans that took me away from parents for a long time. THing was though the thing we did most was play in a field on the other side of the neighborhood. It was baseball in summer, football in the fall though winter. THe field was easilly seen formthe road and people drove by fairly often so everyone pretty much knew where the kids where at.

Today I would not let an 11 yr old off not knowing how and how they where to be dealt with. I have never allowed myself to get too busy where I could not be there when the kids where playing school sports. My youngest lives with his mother and I still go to all the sports activities he attends. He plays in the marching band so I get to watch a game and him play. It's a 35 mile drive from me to his school. They don't do away games but there are competitions and the like and I will go tho those as well. This is a 15 year old young man I"m talking about.

I want all of you to think about this. We live in a world where many of us believe it's the prudent thing to wear a firearm to protect ourselves. But it's OK to drop off a minor child and not worry? I call bullsh!t.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Great post, Drum. Right to the heart of the matter. Things have changed, and unfortunately they have changed to the point where your last lines say it all.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Drum- like yourself, at 11 I would be gone for the day, on my own or with a friend. But that was in the country, on our own turf, and we had rifles.

kids-guns.jpg

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #26

Liked 238 Times on 169 Posts

Funny and good timing for me. My 12 year old plays on two REC leagues and on her 7th Grade Volleyball Team. The school is good about making sure we check her out of games. But she is currently trying out for multiple traveling clubs. One of them will not let parents travels with the kids or team. I told my daughter that she could blindly travel with the coaches after I had dinner and sleep overs with their families. She got it. Why do adults forget 12 year olds are kids?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #27

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

The lack of parenting skills, or in this case, common sense, never ceases to amaze me. Actually, its one of the few things that do amaze me these days.

Call me paranoid, but in my kids school there has been four cases of teachers dating/ ltr students fresh after graduation. One teacher married a girl the summer she graduated, while he was almost 50. Yeah, you read that right. They broke up after her third kid in five years. He lives approximately 700 yards from my house, but sadly, there are trees in between us. :-/

A friend, whose daughter graduated several years ago from the same school, said the gym teacher consistently opened the door to the girls locker room while they were changing, to make sure they were staying out of trouble. It didn't matter how loud he screamed along with other parents, it stopped only temporarily until things cooled down.

The same friends daughter said there were countless pool and hot tub parties where school faculty and students were invited.

Guess who is already keeping real close tabs on his daughter?

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19936 Times on 11331 Posts
Likes Given: 50257

i remember when my stepdaughter was at that age. i or her mother knew exactly where and who she was with at all times. no exceptions. if she was going for a sleepover at a friends house, we made it a point to know something about the parents and some of their habits. she thought many times we were being overly protective, but i told her wonce, that i never wanted to see her face on a milk carton. she got the message.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #29

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i remember when my stepdaughter was at that age. i or her mother knew exactly where and who she was with at all times. no exceptions. if she was going for a sleepover at a friends house, we made it a point to know something about the parents and some of their habits. she thought many times we were being overly protective, but i told her wonce, that i never wanted to see her face on a milk carton. she got the message.
My daughter is 23 now. She used to hate me at least twice a month because she could not go to any other kids house before I met their parents. If she wanted to do the sleep over I wanted to meet the parents of all the kids so they knew me. A lot of slammed doors and I hate yous later my little girl is on her own, a very productive member of society. Knows how to shoot well And come to me not long ago with a phrase I said to my Dad when I was about her age. She says "Dad, I'm sorry for all the times I yelled and said I hated you. You did what you thought was best and I am doing just fine." She went on to say that a couple of those sleep overs she didn't get to go to there where issues involving a parent or sibling where one or some of the girls where...Not treated properly. I knew all about that when it happened but I was not a I told you so Dad. She goes on to say "I wish I was half as smart now as I thought I was then." Something I often said to her then. At 15 I thought I was the smartest thing around. I still wish I was half as smart as I thought I was then.

She is now grown, on her own and going to school and working. She sometimes comes to me and talks about things when she thinks she already knows the answer but has learned us old folk can sometimes give a different perspective on a situation. Sometimes wisdom is forced upon us weather we want it or not. Time is funny that way.

The world was a scary place when I was a kid no doubt about it. But I think I'd rather worry about those damn Russians and the bomb than what kids have to deal with today. Plugged in the way they are the world is a lot smaller than it was in my young days. With all the great things stuff like the internet bring it also brings a huge dose of the ugly that has always been there but so much easier for the ugly to find you. Do a sex offender search of your area. Even out here in the woods there are several.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #30

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

^^^^^^^^ this!

If you've never done this, do it now, people. I was shocked, as there was probably 50-60 in a ten mile radius. This is a rural environment, and was two years or so since I last viewed it.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This