Are you an AMERICAN?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Are you an AMERICAN?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Are you an AMERICAN?

Gentleman, Uncle Merle has some words of wisdom. Please read and think for just a moment. Where is your fighting side? Our own president has over stepped these bounds and it seems like no one cares. Merle had it right 30 years ago.....

I hear people talkin' bad,
About the way we have to live here in this country,
Harpin' on the wars we fight,
An' gripin' 'bout the way things oughta be.
An' I don't mind 'em switchin' sides,
An' standin' up for things they believe in.
When they're runnin' down my country, man,
They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
Yeah, walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
Runnin' down the way of life,
Our fightin' men have fought and died to keep.
If you don't love it, leave it:
Let this song I'm singin' be a warnin'.
If you're runnin' down my country, man,
You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

I read about some squirrely guy,
Who claims, he just don't believe in fightin'.
An' I wonder just how long,
The rest of us can count on bein' free.
They love our milk an' honey,
But they preach about some other way of livin'.
When they're runnin' down my country, hoss,
They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

Yeah, walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
Runnin' down the way of life,
Our fightin' men have fought and died to keep.
If you don't love it, leave it:
Let this song I'm singin' be a warnin'.
If you're runnin' down my country, man,
You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 Spit...it seems the country music venue is the only one that still sports patriotism...Something Merle Haggard would be proud of!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 Spit...it seems the country music venue is the only one that still sports patriotism...Something Merle Haggard would be proud of!
Indeed my friend you are very wise in your observation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Are you serious?!? There are only 2 Merle fans on this forum?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like Country music. Western music too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just read it, no else gets pissed? There are 3 guys here who these words stire a little emotion? 3?!?!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I try to equally distribute my anger and my rhetoric so as not to stroke out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I try to equally distribute my anger and my rhetoric so as not to stroke out.
I thank you for your post but I an not conerned with you my friend. No one else gets angry? Is our country turly dying?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think a lot of our members just don't know who Merle is. I guess that's okay, since I have no clue who they're listening to either.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #10

Hi Spitten,

You are obviously very passionate about these lyrics, so I wanted to contribute to your thread, and I hope that I don't piss you off too bad with what I say.

I know who Merle Haggard is, and I have even heard this song.

It's a good song, but other than the well deserved salute to our service men, I just do not see where it really contains anything all that profound. To me, the song evokes images of barfights more than anything else.

I just do not get that riled up when I hear it. The hypothetical "squirrely guy" surely exists, but I am sure that we had people like that during the entire history of the country, including the revolution. They do not bother me. (too much)

It seems to me the song basically says that if you talk bad about U.S. policy, express reluctance to defend our shores, or critisize our lifestyle, Merle wants to kick your ass. That's fine for him, but I just do not feel that way. I personally identify much more with Lee Greenwood's famous anthem.

Remember right after 911, when everybody had their flags flying? I worked with a couple guys that just went insane with the flag thing for about four months. Full sized flags on the pick ups, different flag shirt everyday, you name it. So, that's cool I guess, but it was gone as fast as it came, and they never did it a day in their lives before or since. Also, they acted like asses the entire time, talking down to everyone like they were the only ones that knew or cared what was happening. That's not so cool.

They weren't being patriots, they were participating in what I call "nationalistic hooliganism." By that I mean that they were like those soccer hooligan guys, all worked up because their team was in the finals. They weren't doing it because they loved America, not really. They would say that, but the truth is they were just having a great time being wound up and getting to bad mouth a bunch of people and sound like heroes for doing it.

I know this because these were the same guys that did not know our history, did not know the constitution, and could not carry on anything like an intelligent conversation about even basic issues. They would have done the same thing no matter what country they lived in, they don't love America because of what she stands for, or gives us, or gives the rest of the world. They just support her with a fervor born of ignorance because they happen to live here. If they lived in Iran, they would be just as happy to burn those flags that they had on their pickups. It wasn't true patriotism, it was simply self-serving nationalism.

Why am I telling you all this? Just so that you will maybe understand what I mean when I say that Merle's song makes me think of nationalistic hooliganism, not patriotism. It' totally fine with me if you get something better out of it.

And yes, I am a American Patriot, I know our constitiution, and I very proudly fly our great nation's flag every day. (I did before 911, too)