Yesterday's trip to the gun store.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Yesterday's trip to the gun store.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Yesterday's trip to the gun store.

I finally found some pistol ammo.

Picture, if you will:

Small gun shop in the middle of no place Ohio. Store is in small building behind the owners small and old house. One guy working there with old guys and their oxygen bottles sitting in ratty chairs talking of the old days. Very friendly people and helpful as well.

Pistols are in a case and in racks on the case. Rifles and shotguns in a very tiny side room in racks. Ammo is laid out on bread racks that make the tiny place even smaller. He has a rack section just for scopes and red dots.

I was there yesterday, and he had at least 5 AR-15s, 2 AKs, a mini-14, and a few SKS. There were 6 .308's, several tactical shotguns and many other rifles and shotguns. In the pistol case were several Taurus, Kel-Tec, Springfield XDs, S&W M&Ps, a ton of Glocks and many revolvers from teeny to large. NO 1911's.!!

Thing is, everytime I've been there (half dozen or so) there are people buying guns. I have never seen the check process have a problem or delay. The owner says he is having the best year ever, and has sold more guns since last Aug till now than he did in the previous 5 years. I watched a man and his grown son drop almost $2k yesterday. Another guy was looking to buy 2 pistols as I was leaving.

Possibly the best gun store ever!!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Sad part is, I used to have a couple like that out my way, long since gone. I loved the small shops with the old guys, and most of the time, folks just stopped in to get ammo and B.S. awhile.

Wish there were more shops like that, brings back memories.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 AM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I went into my local store the other day before I went into work, I work second shift now. There was a guy in there buying three pistols, all Springfield Armory XD's. They were an XD 9mm, an XD-M 9mm and an XD .40 cal. I believe.

The thing was, this guy was a total newb, he kept asking how many rounds the "clips" for his new pistols would hold and the gunstore clerks had to tell him four different times what the difference between the XD and the XD-M was.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #4

My local shop has Glocks, XD's, a couple XD(m)'s, some S&W and Ruger revolvers, one H&K P2000, several P-series SIGS, 3 SIG 1911's and a Kimber Custom Shop 1911.
Everyone is lining up to buy the Glocks, but I have yet to see anyone show serious interest in the 1911's. Everyone says they are looking for concealability yet they bypass the slimmest, easiest gun to hide
I keep telling the owner if he could just get someone to shoot oneof the 1911's (they rent some of the same guns they sell) they would buy it and never look back. No luck, everyone wants the newest polymer frame. Though there is one guy who owns an Ed Brown and just ordered a Para compact stainless.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #5

The old guys in the first place KNEW the 1911 wasn't worth a damn so they didn't bother stocking them. Someday JD and the rest-a-ya will learn from the wisdom those guys have.

There's a small place near me that two years ago, at any time, had on the rack, no less than a dozen AK variants, six or seven "Tactical" rifles, shotguns and maybe 4 or 5 AR's along with 20 or 30 handguns of various makes. In addition usually 15-20 "sporting arms", whatever those are supposed to be.

I went in there a week ago and it almost looked abandoned. The owner said the business had really picked up in the last few weeks presumably from early tax returns.

Maybe Obama really LOVES guns and is using the threat of banning them to stimulate the firearms industry?

Nah, I really didn't think so either.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
The old guys in the first place KNEW the 1911 wasn't worth a damn so they didn't bother stocking them. Someday JD and the rest-a-ya will learn from the wisdom those guys have.
BLASPHEMY!! May your Jeep break down in your driveway and your tools be out of reach....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-29-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Aye I have several of those stores around the area.

Love them.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #8

its kinda funny that you recently found ammo because I as well recently found some ammo. Given it is dirty and cheap, but I can live with that fact because I take care to clean my gun well after the range.

I was at Academy for other reason (not ammo) but I've made it a habit to check for ammo everywhere I go, so I checked and lo'an behold they had 9mm target and .40 SD. I got some boxes of Winchester Rangers 9mm 124gr. NATO $21.99/50, Monarch steel 9mm 115gr. $8.99/50, Blazur Aluminum 9mm 115gr. $11.99/50, and some Winchester Bonded PDX1 .40 180gr. Self Defense $21.99/20.

I had recently received my 9mm conversion barrel for my S&W M&P .40 and I wanted to test the barrel in the gun for functionality, I shot about 30 rounds of each (3 mags of ten of each) and got one jam with the federal Winchester Rangers and encountered no other problems with the other ammo but only time will tell I guess.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry