Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The yearly farce begins on 14 Mar 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The yearly farce begins on 14 Mar 10

That farce? Daylight Saving (not savings) Time. Nevada had the chance to stop doing this idiotic crap but our wuss governor at the time, Kenny Guinn, refused to sign the bill using the excuse that it would "confuse the tourists from Kalifornia." He blew it and even had a great Las Vegas supporting ad campaign that would have been "the bomb."

Come to Las Vegas. You'll have an extra hour to enjoy the fun!

Not going on DST doesn't seem to bother Arizona or Hawaii one bit. But Guinn was a f***ing idiot. So we're still stuck having to "Spring Forward and Fall Back" every freakin' year.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've always wondered what the "savings" was....never understood it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I am loving it in AZ. No more of that nonsense since I moved here about 15 years ago.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

They taught me in second grade how to tell time.

I haven’t really had a problem with it since then.

I think Toy’s R Us has a “See and Say” pull string toy that may help you guys.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #5

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It no longer makes sense. Unfortunately that seems to be the rule rather than the exception these days.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Do you guys know the real reason why this is done? Or do you just want something to complain about?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have always hated this crap also. Fall back is fine, I get an extra hour of sleep, but Spring forward can suck it.

We have friends who live in Saskatewan & Alberta Canada and they never have to do this lame crap. They always ask how many hours we are behind them this week.

Luckily I am taking some vacation next week to have some time to recoup from my precious hour of lost sleep.

JD

Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Do you guys know the real reason why this is done? Or do you just want something to complain about?

Yes, I know the reason and it is not as practical now as when it was instituted. Wikipedia's version below.

"During his time as an American envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin, author of the proverb, "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise", anonymously published a letter suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight. This 1784 satire proposed taxing shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise. Franklin did not propose DST; like ancient Rome, 18th-century Europe did not keep precise schedules. However, this soon changed as rail and communication networks came to require a standardization of time unknown in Franklin's day.

Modern DST was first proposed by the New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson, whose shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects, and made him aware of the value of after-hours daylight.In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift, and after considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch, New Zealand he followed up in an 1898 paper."

I think the complaints are valid as they are the opinion of the people who complained. I am happy not to have to do that anymore.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #9

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
History from Wikipedia. Not saying this is gospel or the whole story but it does give an idea:

Quote:
Although not punctual in the modern sense, ancient civilizations adjusted daily schedules to the sun more flexibly than modern DST does, often dividing daylight into twelve equal hours regardless of day length, so that each daylight hour was longer during summer. For example, Roman water clocks had different scales for different months of the year: at Rome's latitude the third hour from sunrise, hora tertia, started by modern standards at 09:02 solar time and lasted 44 minutes at the winter solstice, but at the summer solstice it started at 06:58 and lasted 75 minutes. After ancient times, equal-length civil hours eventually supplanted unequal, so civil time no longer varies by season. Unequal hours are still used in a few traditional settings, such as some Mount Athos monasteries and some Jewish ceremonies.

During his time as an American envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin, author of the proverb, "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise", anonymously published a letter suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight. This 1784 satire proposed taxing shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise. Franklin did not propose DST; like ancient Rome, 18th-century Europe did not keep precise schedules. However, this soon changed as rail and communication networks came to require a standardization of time unknown in Franklin's day.

Modern DST was first proposed by the New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson, whose shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects, and made him aware of the value of after-hours daylight. In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift, and after considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch, New Zealand he followed up in an 1898 paper. Many publications incorrectly credit DST's invention to the prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett, who independently conceived DST in 1905 during a pre-breakfast ride, when he observed with dismay how many Londoners slept through a large part of a summer day. An avid golfer, he also disliked cutting short his round at dusk. His solution was to advance the clock during the summer months, a proposal he published two years later.

Willett lobbied unsuccessfully for the proposal in the UK until his death in 1915, and Germany, its World War I allies, and their occupied zones were the first European nations to use Willett's invention, starting April 30, 1916, as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed suit. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year; and the United States adopted it in 1918. Since then, the world has seen many enactments, adjustments, and repeals.
As for what savings it induces, energy usage either rises by 1 to 5% or decreases by 0.2 to 1 %, depending on what energy used is tracked.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do much care one way or the other about DST, but I do know that 3/14/10 is one month to the day after Valentines Day and March 14th. is the official Steak and BJ day in these parts. I already purchased two juicy rib-eyes for the occasion.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.