Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > yard masters and small acreage owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default yard masters and small acreage owners

now that I have a small yard to keep after, I'm in the market for a lawn mower. Less than half an acre so I'm leaning towards a basic push mower, but I was curious what some on this board might recommend as far as make and model in terms of reliability, performance and lasting power...I grew up using a Toro, but it seems like there is much more to choose from these days...I've been eyeing a craftsman model, but have yet to make a final decision and purchase anything....and the grass will need clipping in the next two weeks for sure...

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
now that I have a small yard to keep after, I'm in the market for a lawn mower. Less than half an acre so I'm leaning towards a basic push mower, but I was curious what some on this board might recommend as far as make and model in terms of reliability, performance and lasting power...I grew up using a Toro, but it seems like there is much more to choose from these days...I've been eyeing a craftsman model, but have yet to make a final decision and purchase anything....and the grass will need clipping in the next two weeks for sure...

I'm partial to Lawnboy mowers, 2 strokes reliable as heck. My dad had a lawncare business in the mid 70's we used Lawnboys and the International Harvester labeled version of the Lawnboy. Had a Lawnboy to supplement my riding mower in the 90's and right up till I moved to Missouri from Florida.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've always leaned toward Briggs and Stratton engines. They may not be the absolute most reliable, but I've had great experiences with them, and they're just so darn common that I've found spare parts on the side of the road.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've always leaned toward Briggs and Stratton engines. They may not be the absolute most reliable, but I've had great experiences with them, and they're just so darn common that I've found spare parts on the side of the road.
I'll take Briggs & Stratton engines over a Tecumseh engine any day, before my dad's lawncare business went to Lawnboys he bought a Tecumseh powered push mower it blew 2 engines in less than 2 weeks.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
I'll take Briggs & Stratton engines over a Tecumseh engine any day, before my dad's lawncare business went to Lawnboys he bought a Tecumseh powered push mower it blew 2 engines in less than 2 weeks.
A tecumseh doesn't even deserve a capital letter at the front. See what I did there?

They are truly the most terrible, crappiest piece of crap ever. Good for nothing but boat anchors.

Come to think of it, I've never seen one run for more than just a few minutes, even brand new.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Most reliable mower I ever had was a corded electric model; it always started right up.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

willshoum Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

Honda engines ..... nuff said

Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Here we go, bad mouthing the indians again...........a few bad apples, just like the rest of the small engine makers...........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #9

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

+1 on the Hondas

Old 04-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3626

Hard to beat a Briggs. A Honda just might do it though.