Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   yard masters and small acreage owners (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/yard-masters-small-acreage-owners-89631/)

Mack Bolan 04-26-2013 06:59 PM

yard masters and small acreage owners

now that I have a small yard to keep after, I'm in the market for a lawn mower. Less than half an acre so I'm leaning towards a basic push mower, but I was curious what some on this board might recommend as far as make and model in terms of reliability, performance and lasting power...I grew up using a Toro, but it seems like there is much more to choose from these days...I've been eyeing a craftsman model, but have yet to make a final decision and purchase anything....and the grass will need clipping in the next two weeks for sure...

DFlynt 04-26-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan (Post 1227993)
now that I have a small yard to keep after, I'm in the market for a lawn mower. Less than half an acre so I'm leaning towards a basic push mower, but I was curious what some on this board might recommend as far as make and model in terms of reliability, performance and lasting power...I grew up using a Toro, but it seems like there is much more to choose from these days...I've been eyeing a craftsman model, but have yet to make a final decision and purchase anything....and the grass will need clipping in the next two weeks for sure...

I'm partial to Lawnboy mowers, 2 strokes reliable as heck. My dad had a lawncare business in the mid 70's we used Lawnboys and the International Harvester labeled version of the Lawnboy. Had a Lawnboy to supplement my riding mower in the 90's and right up till I moved to Missouri from Florida.

trip286 04-26-2013 07:03 PM

I've always leaned toward Briggs and Stratton engines. They may not be the absolute most reliable, but I've had great experiences with them, and they're just so darn common that I've found spare parts on the side of the road.

DFlynt 04-26-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1227997)
I've always leaned toward Briggs and Stratton engines. They may not be the absolute most reliable, but I've had great experiences with them, and they're just so darn common that I've found spare parts on the side of the road.

I'll take Briggs & Stratton engines over a Tecumseh engine any day, before my dad's lawncare business went to Lawnboys he bought a Tecumseh powered push mower it blew 2 engines in less than 2 weeks.

trip286 04-26-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFlynt (Post 1228000)
I'll take Briggs & Stratton engines over a Tecumseh engine any day, before my dad's lawncare business went to Lawnboys he bought a Tecumseh powered push mower it blew 2 engines in less than 2 weeks.

A tecumseh doesn't even deserve a capital letter at the front. See what I did there? ;)

They are truly the most terrible, crappiest piece of crap ever. Good for nothing but boat anchors.

Come to think of it, I've never seen one run for more than just a few minutes, even brand new.

orangello 04-26-2013 07:11 PM

Most reliable mower I ever had was a corded electric model; it always started right up.

rurak 04-26-2013 08:33 PM

Honda engines ..... nuff said

willshoum 04-26-2013 08:41 PM

Here we go, bad mouthing the indians again...........a few bad apples, just like the rest of the small engine makers...........;)

MOshooter 04-26-2013 11:53 PM

+1 on the Hondas

towboater 04-27-2013 12:39 AM

Hard to beat a Briggs. A Honda just might do it though.