WTH is going on?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > WTH is going on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default WTH is going on?

Well you may ask.

Whenever we do a project here, it usually spans multiple threads, often in multiple sections. If you aren't in on the project, it can get confusing, since maybe you don't visit every section.

So let me encapsulate the new project, in one place, so you guys know the deal.

J.D. and I have been enamored of the Dos Equis guy for some time. No, not the guy himself, but the concept of the lifestyle. The guy has done everything. And beyond that, he has done it in an interesting way.

We've done knife challenges here. And those are fun for us, and fun for you guys.

But what if it was done in a way that made it Dos Equis worthy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As long as there are no pics of you and JD in a hot tub with a bunch of baboons......Oh, Wait, The FTF National Meet hasn't happened yet!!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

So, Cane points out one of our vendors, whom we'll elaborate on later. And this vendor does custom work.

I have tons of knives, I'm trying to catch Francisco. Alas, no customs.

Our vendor does them reasonably priced, and, as a twist, he does obsidian.

Obsidian is nasty sharp. So much so, that it is used for scalpels. A standard steel knife, no matter how long you sharpen it, will show up rough under a microscope. Not so with obsidian.

And you just can't beat something forged in a volcano for the "interesting" factor.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A lot of this stuff happens for supporting members. It's a nice thing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Now the thing with obsidian is the fact that it is also fragile. Our standard tests, piercing coconuts, lighting it on fire, shooting it, were not going to happen.

So how to test them, give exposure to a new vendor, maybe get some business for him so that he can grow with us, and keep it interesting?

Food Network. We'll each go Cordon Bleu, and prepare an interesting meal, with these knives.

If I like the edge, I MIGHT do the standard test that has become a sort of hallmark for this type of thing, and shave my head.

I also plan to do an offshoot of this concept, but I have to discuss it with The Man. If the price is right, I want to take you guys on an interesting journey.....

Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome. I think I may order one of these. Which vendor is it, BB?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

Let me be completely serious for one post.

I keep a scrapbook. The wife took alot of my pictures, and put it together as a gift. It is the most precious thing I own.

I see alot of grumpy old f**ks, who lay around and pray for death. And the sad part is, they didn't enjoy life while they could have, never did one thing that made a difference. They finished school, got a job they hated, married a woman they hated, and had kids that stuck them in a home at the first opportunity.

Their scrapbook would be one page.

I am spending the rest of the time I have left filling mine. When the young nurse removes it from my dead wrinkly hand, maybe she'll thumb through it, and say, "S**T, this guy did it all."

And he's in a hot spring with a bunch of baboons.....

Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
As long as there are no pics of you and JD in a hot tub with a bunch of baboons......Oh, Wait, The FTF National Meet hasn't happened yet!!!
10 characters.....

Old 09-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
A lot of this stuff happens for supporting members. It's a nice thing.
The cook off will be happening in the Bunker, access is available to supporting members.

CA357 is right, we do alot of cool stuff, and keep most of it there. I feel badly sometimes, because if you haven't signed on, you're missing alot, but we have our reasons.

Consider signing up today.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Awesome. I think I may order one of these. Which vendor is it, BB?
rp50817 is our custom guy.

I have seen pics of his work. I'm not saying anything one way or the other yet. I will provide a fair and unbiased review upon reciept.

But they sure look pretty.