Would You Hire Someone With An Online Degree ? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Would You Hire Someone With An Online Degree ?

View Poll Results: Online Degree
Yes, I would hire him with reservations 5 38.46%
Yes, I wouldn't have a problem hiring him 2 15.38%
No, I wouldn't even consider him 2 15.38%
As long as he has a degree, I don't care where its from 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:18 AM   #31
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7882 Times on 4044 Posts
Likes Given: 9033

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
If you were an employer, and you had a qualified candidate interview for a position, would you hire him or not if he had a Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited online university?

Or would where he got his degree from even matter?
Too vague, need more info, type of job and other background matters!!!! The University I work for would like you to think an online degree means your not a good candidate but I know folks that have received their masters online and are the finest kind of worker you could want. One buddy of mine got 2 Masters from Columbia in 2 years His field is Forensic Network Security, he's pulling in $150K 10 years after graduating from Verizon and they dont get any better than Mark.

There are many places that care about the pedigree of the recently graduated but if you can get some background in the field before you show up at their doors, usually they care more about your experience by that point. Now-a-days, I would worry more about what they can find out about you online on your bookface account than the quality of the degree you have. Quality is in the learning not the teaching!
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I appreciate all the responses, friends. Basically it confirms what I already knew. Character is important, the interview matters, skills come into play.

But it sounds like for most people the most important thing is intangibles. This will come across in the interview(s). I just need to make sure I GET to the interviews. Hence the need for one more check in the box - the degree.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
If you were an employer, and you had a qualified candidate interview for a position, would you hire him or not if he had a Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited online university?

Or would where he got his degree from even matter?
ive done a bit of hiring. but im not the norm since a degree means absolutely nothing to me. unless the position required a degree by law i looked for qualified candidates that knew the job. degree is irrelevent if the candidate didnt have the ability to perform the needed duties.

you would be amazingly surprised when you do interviews just how MANY uneducated people have full 4 year college degrees. given enough time you could teach a chimpanzee to get a perfect score on a multiple choice test.

i was hiring a person to become our head of IT interviews usually went ok they would have such and such a degree from some university in computers or technology or both. i had each of them perform a simple test bag of objects that went in a typical computer of the time, network card, cdrom hard drive vid card piece of network cable step by step directions on how to make a cable.

9 out of 10 couldnt identify 50% of the parts. all but one couldnt make a cable. after 30+ interviews one person i found able to perform basic computer related tasks didnt know how to make a cable but picked up the instructions and figured it out...

he got the job.

you can teach almost everything but you cannot teach the ability to learn and how to problem solve.

i have always believed that degrees were little better than the cheap paper they are printed on without the actual hands on skills and ability to reason through a problem.

anyway online degrees to me are the same as a regular brick and mortar degree. what other folks that have done hiring think i couldnt say.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #34

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As far as online degrees are concerned, make sure that the college is fully accredited ...which means their coursework will transfer should you ever decide to get an advanced degree. Otherwise you're wasting your money. Many State university schools have online programs now and, when the degree is conferred, what you get is your degree directly FROM that brick and mortar university. I know that the University of Minnesota and University of Illinois both have such programs.. The coursework required is the same as if you attended classes on campus. I wouldn't discredit these degrees in any way. It's the 'quickie' degrees that are not worth the paper their printed on.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

if he was 'qualified' as your first post stated, then I wouldn't hold the degree against him. It can be very hard for many people to sit at home and do 'work' when they have all the comforts about them.

What does he look like is my question

Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #36

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

It seems to me that the "whole person concept" should apply. As long as it was a real college, I wouldn't dwell too much on pedigree.
The pedigree of their degree should be only one factor. What does the rest of their resume' look like? Experience? Interests, what do they do when they aren't at work? What else have they done in their life?
For instance, military experience? It may completely unrelated to the job at hand, but it least shows they are trainable, they can work with a team, and they show up on time.
Then of course, what sort of job are you filling?
Are you filling a technical job where experience trumps the snob appeal of the the debt they accumulated?
Perhaps a staff job where fewer technical skills are required but people skills are preferred. Do you really want the frowning woman with the Masters in Gender Studies, just because she went one of those little boutique colleges back east? Or would the pleasant person with the Human Resource sheepskin from the state college be a better fit?
Pick the right person for the position.

Please note: It took a lot of people with really impressive Ivy League degrees and impressive resumes, dressed in expensive suits to screw the country up to the point that it is.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 02-21-2014 at 03:06 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #37
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Both my 2nd Masters(from Teachers College @ Columbia) and my D.Ps(from Long Island Univ.) were both done partially online and partially in person. Only hinderance was finding out after I had spent 118k (83k of it from a Grant I won) that the only Teaching Jobs that Colleges were hiring for were 37-40k lecturers Jobs instead of 65-75k tenure track Asst. Professors....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Please note: It took a lot of people with really impressive Ivy League degrees and lovely perfect resumes, dressed in expensive suits to screw the country up to the point that it is.

Simply beautiful, well said.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #39

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
. . . . I just need to make sure I GET to the interviews. Hence the need for one more check in the box - the degree.
A good cover letter, showing you did your homework, know who they are, what issues they're facing, either specifically or in the industry, and how your skills and experience can be utilized to solve those issues, will get you your interview. Show them you can analyze, plan, organize, execute & review. Standard stuff, critical thinking, etc.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to spend time volunteering as a tutor, or whatever, in the field of your choice, getting to know people in the business, who would know who's looking for someone just like you.

A sergeant in the Marine Corp? Geez! Who wouldn't think you'd know how to get something done?

Last edited by Vincine; 02-20-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #40

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Considering most degrees are a ripoff......why not?