Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Would You Hire Someone With An Online Degree ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/would-you-hire-someone-online-degree-104165/)

JW357 02-18-2014 06:47 PM

Would You Hire Someone With An Online Degree ?

If you were an employer, and you had a qualified candidate interview for a position, would you hire him or not if he had a Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited online university?

Or would where he got his degree from even matter?

Jagermeister 02-18-2014 06:49 PM

I have looked at more then the degree. Experience, the interview, attitude, etc...

nchunt101 02-18-2014 06:50 PM

I would prefer a degree from a nationally accredited university. Check with ECU since you are moving to NC and see what they can do about an in state tuition program. I know they have several good online options.

yazul42 02-18-2014 06:57 PM

If it is an accredited online university, I don't think it would matter,, now if it were from " Ernie's Online Peace Campus ",, I would have concerns, education counts a lot, but we've all seen educated fools and most HR folks on the hiring side, see much more than the degree,,, military time, work at other companies etc., so I personally do not think it is a hindrance, just check out the school very well and make sure employers you are contacting acknowledge these schools,, some may not.

locutus 02-18-2014 07:04 PM

It would depend on the job, whether he would be working alone or in a group, whether he had experience and a resume'. Too many factors involved to make a determination on his degree alone.

But the fact that his degree was "online" would be a negative factor, although only one factor among many.

Jagermeister 02-18-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1509617)
It would depend on the job, whether he would be working alone or in a group, whether he had experience and a resume'. Too many factors involved to make a determination on his degree alone.

But the fact that his degree was "online" would be a negative factor, although only one factor among many.

I thought you assimilated employees. :p

seancslaughter 02-18-2014 07:16 PM

why would it be a negative factor? I currently go to an accredited online Christian University for my BA in Criminal Justice with a cognate of Homeland Security and the minors of History and Social Work. I go to an online school because when I moved from NY to TX I found that not one of the area colleges offered the same degree with classes available around my work schedule and taking care of my kids schedule. When I was in NY I went to Mt Saint Mary College and St. Thomas Aquinas College because both had extension centers on West Point where I worked and had schedules that not only fit my work schedule, but were taught by Instructors from WP who were moonlighting. I think getting a Degree in a difficult situation like mine(Working full time as a supervisor, full time father to a toddler and a 9 YO, and taking full time classes) shows that I am driven to succeed and have superior time management skills.

JW357 02-18-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancslaughter (Post 1509627)
I think getting a Degree in a difficult situation like mine(Working full time as a supervisor, full time father to a toddler and a 9 YO, and taking full time classes) shows that I am driven to succeed and have superior time management skills.

I agree with you. Unfortunately there is a stigma with online degrees. That's why I'm asking.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

seancslaughter 02-18-2014 07:25 PM

What degree are you looking to go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

JW357 02-18-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancslaughter (Post 1509636)
What degree are you looking to go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Well I'm most interested in Political Science and History but there's very little good paying job potential there. So I'm considering something like Computer Science or IT.

I haven't decided yet.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.