Would you ever do this? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Would you ever do this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I would hazard a guess that you felt very uncomfortable as he handed you the weapon. Knowing you were a LEO, I'm sure you felt like telling him what he was doing was wrong but there was that business/client relationship involved. Not to be a Monday morning QB, trying not to hurt his feelings, I would have said in a joking tone "hey, take the mag out and open the slide, make sure it's not loaded". Saying it that way wouldn't put the employee on edge.

Now saying that, after what happened I would have told him privately that anytime he hands a weapon to someone, take the mag out and open the slide, accidents do happen. And as a final note, let him know that others have been sent to the hospital for less reasons than yelling "bang"

How long has this employee been at the shop? Would it harm anything to chat with the owner?
You're right there are so many times in life you think of what you want to say, but you shrug it off and never do. When in all actuality, you really should.

I thought of all kinds of things I wanted to say, but I didn't. I was looked at as well I knew what to do to keep me from getting hurt and paid no attention to what if it happens again to someone else.

I need to go back and at least talk to the guy about it. Tell him the obvious things and then make him think of what the legal eagles would do if there was an AD in the shop, let alone if someone got hurt/killed.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #12

That is a bizarre incident for sure. You would think that a gun store employee would have the sense to pull the mag out, and lock the slide to the rear before handing it safely to you by the grip not the muzzle.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #13

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Damn, that sounds categorically wrong lol... I understand you want to keep a good relationship with these guys but that's basic disregard for your safety, and that's enough I would say something. If he wants to go home and "play bang" with himself go ahead, but not with me is what I'd be thinking...

Old 02-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
You're right there are so many times in life you think of what you want to say, but you shrug it off and never do. When in all actuality, you really should.

I thought of all kinds of things I wanted to say, but I didn't. I was looked at as well I knew what to do to keep me from getting hurt and paid no attention to what if it happens again to someone else.

I need to go back and at least talk to the guy about it. Tell him the obvious things and then make him think of what the legal eagles would do if there was an AD in the shop, let alone if someone got hurt/killed.
"Could you hand the weapon to me properly, please!"
"Is this the first time you've carried a firearm?"
"Let's see what happens when I rack the slide?"
"Not the smartest wise ass in the store are you?"

I always think of 'em about a day later, after my temper eases a little.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
"Could you hand the weapon to me properly, please!"
"Is this the first time you've carried a firearm?"
"Let's see what happens when I rack the slide?"
"Not the smartest wise ass in the store are you?"

I always think of 'em about a day later, after my temper eases a little.
Those are great. I will have to remember them for later
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-21-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rule Number One, treat every firearm as it were loaded.

IMHO it is your job to ask that the action is open before accepting any firearm. If the action is not open, never ever take the hand-off.

You can not be shot or shoot anyone with the action open. Beside completely dismantling a firearm, having the action open makes the firearm as safe as it can get.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When nothing comes immediately to mind, remember this:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not cool, and i would've tried to find some way to convey that to him without being a jerk. I'm not sure i could've avoided being a bit of a jerk just after having a pistol pointed at my privates.

I'm thinking of getting a Tshirt that says "please don't point that at me, i am crazy" with the name of a state mental facility on the back for the next time i go to the gun shop (haven't had problems there myself, yet).

Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #19

Personally I would never ask to see someone's firearm that was holstered (I know you LEO and your trained to take firearms from people ). As soon as a person pulls that gun out from ther holster and odds are it is loaded is where a whole host of bad things can happen and you witnessed, fortunatly no one got hurt. The rage I shoot at has a rule that if you have a holstered pistol for personal protection, it must remain holstered at all times and can not be used on the range, the exception to the rule is when there is training going on, such as drawing from concealment class. This just a personal opinion not the law.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not cool, and i would've tried to find some way to convey that to him without being a jerk. I'm not sure i could've avoided being a bit of a jerk just after having a pistol pointed at my privates.

I'm thinking of getting a Tshirt that says "please don't point that at me, i am crazy" with the name of a state mental facility on the back for the next time i go to the gun shop (haven't had problems there myself, yet).
I would buy that shirt in a heartbeat, but it would have to have the picture that CA357 posted on the back. ROTFLMAO
Thomas Jefferson