Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Would it bother you to pick up your most valuable/collectable gun if the S did HTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Default Would it bother you to pick up your most valuable/collectible gun if the S did HTF?

I'm not one to really discuss the doomsday topic and don't base my life around the idea. But after going through my ammo stash, I found that the rifle I have the most ammo for is also the one I am most proficient with... Which also happens to be an all numbers matching, 100% original, near mint condition Lee Enfield No. 4 MkI. Not to mention its sentimental value. After some thought I found that for practical reasons, this would be my best option if the need ever arose, but somehow the thought of destroying it makes me cringe. I realize if it came to that point condition means nothing and collectibles are no longer such, but still. We aren't talking total and forever collapse, just a major issue be it short or long term.

I have very little concern of this happening, it just made me think.

So, would you have second thoughts if you were in a similar position? This thread is meant for the thought not a debate about prepping so lets try to stay on topic.

Obviously the best answer is to buy more ammo for another rifle and practice but that's not the point.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 04-12-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 385 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

I make it a point not to own super collectible stuff just for that reason. I'd hate to be pushed into using a collectors item for what it was originally built to do. If, for instance, I lost control of a chainsaw and had to drive myself to the hospital bleeding like a stuck pig and the closest mode of transportation to me was an Edsel or Studebaker..... then yeah, I'd tear the hell out of it getting to the hospital so I could live to regret it later.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
I make it a point not to own super collectible stuff just for that reason. I'd hate to be pushed into using a collectors item for what it was originally built to do. If, for instance, I lost control of a chainsaw and had to drive myself to the hospital bleeding like a stuck pig and the closest mode of transportation to me was an Edsel or Studebaker..... then yeah, I'd tear the hell out of it getting to the hospital so I could live to regret it later.
This gave me a good laugh, I needed that.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Guns are made to be shot. So I'd be using whatever I could in a SHTF situation. Chances are if you have use for a gun in a SHTF situation you probably have more important things to worry about.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

I would be thinking "Damn! I'm glad I got that (FILL IN THE BLANK)"

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
. . .After some thought I found that for practical reasons, this would be my best option if the need ever arose, but somehow the thought of destroying it makes me cringe. . .
??? And using it would destroy it how?

We have a style of watercraft up here called a 'Guide Boat'. It's a sort of a cross between a canoe, a rowboat, and a few other influences I'm sure. They're were developed way before anyone even knew how to spell 'Adirondacks'. They are handmade, from wood, from scratch, and a beautiful example of form following function. They're also expensive. So what do people who buy them do? They hang them up as an objets d′art status symbols. In fact that's what they're bought for. The boats never see the water.

It makes me sad to see an object of man's craft, prevented from being used for their utilitarian purpose.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

If i got ammo for it its getting used.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 961 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Wouldn't bother me at all. When it comes down to it, it is just stuff! You can't take it with you when you die!!!!

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Sputnik,

Think of it this way! If the SHTF you will be fighting to defend you and your family's life and friends as well as food and property. I have several collectibles and would think nothing about using one if I had ample ammunition and was proficient with it like you stated! I would be honored to take some of my prize possessions to smoke some AH trying to harm my family or take our food, water and steal property! As the old saying goes "Come Get It!" But bring your own body bags! They will not be furnished Bottom line regarding your weapon/s of choice, you better be proficient when it comes down to what could happen with SHTF. I do not think most people really understand the total concept, impact and effects of when and if SHTF. Severe issue with #1 Survival, protection of family, property, food and water! And it seems to be possibly looming closer than most people think. I read this week that O is or did assigned himself presidential power to put all commerce at his control and discretion along with forced dedication of the citizens to military service and industry assignments in a national disaster. "Tyranny" comes to mind! If you throw in the rumors of these Newly built and in the process FEMA Camps as really being interment camps. And rumors of thousands of plastic caskets being stored around the country and other issues it gets pretty frightening. And something is no doubt on the horizon if these are true? If anyone has the facts about these rumors I would like to see the confirmation. Because if it is true something is coming fast! We better be planning as well as we are already being deceived by our Government that is supposed to be here to serve the people not the people serving he government.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

If I had a 25,000 dollar european drilling and needed to defend my family with it, I would ride that thing like Rooster Cogburn did little blackie in TRUE GRIT.

NEVER FORGET