Worst Job?? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Worst Job??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I grew up on a hog-cattle farm. Use your imagination.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #42

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I wished I had a worst job to contribute, but my long hesitation to post is because I can not think of anything I have ever done that I can consider meaningless, embarrassing, demeaning or worthless. I know it sounds crazy, but I look at all the different things I have done and accomplished in my life as learning experiences and I continue to seek knowledge and learn and then utilize it as I move on through life. I was raised on a horse and cattle ranch in Arizona. I guess bucking hay in 114 degree temperatures, all day long, filling up semi-trailers, as a youth and teenager, would have to be the closest I could come to a worst job.

I feel for all of you that have had to do some real sh!tty jobs and I salute your heart, willingness, discipline and desire to attempt and sometimes continue in something you really hated doing or did. In the long run, it does make us all better men and women and adds to our own character and strengths.

That's just MHO and I will step down from my soapbox now.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Mine is similar to Dillingers so I can relate. I grew up in central Arkansas where my dad had his own drywall company. Well he bid a package deal which was ceiling, wall and floor insulation followed by the hanging of the drywall then the finishing and texturing.
Having two brothers that were within a year or two younger than myself, my father decided to teach his young teenaged boys the bidness.
Arkansas has a very high humidity level in the summertime and my brothers and I spent more than a few summers insulating homes from top to bottom.
When it's hot and humid and you are exhausted and it feels like every exposed pore is clogged with fiberglass, their isn't a worse job in the world!

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #44

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

My worst job ever was working for a woodshop in the finish department. (This shop makes the presentation boxes for S&W. You can find them on their website.) To start, I had to get up at 0400 hours to make it to work on time. The method for staining the boxes was less than perfect. The smaller boxes were "dunked" into a 55gal drum of stain by the "new guy", wiped down by 3 or 4 guys, and set on drying racks. Since this was a production shop, it was fast paced, and I had to keep the guys wiping down the boxes busy. Ya know, the whole "chain is as strong as the weakest link". So when I dunked a box into the drum, it would give a pretty good splash-back. By the end of 500-1000 boxes, my arms, and sometimes my face, were caked in stain. If we didn't finish staining the entire run by lunch, we would rub our hands/arms in baby powder so the stain didn't come off on our food. (It took 20-30 minutes to clean up, so by the time I could get clean, it would be time to go back to work.)

The other method to stain the larger boxes was in a spray booth. The "new guy" got stuck with the gun. Guess what happened when I sprayed the inside of the box. Yup, got my face washed with stain because the ventilation in the spray booth couldn't suck a fart out of the air. The cheapo paper mask I wore didn't do sh!t. When I was done with that, it was the same thing - arms/face covered with stain, but also my nostrils caked with it.

The worse part about using industrial cherry stain and letting it sit on my skin for hours - when I washed up, my skin was a bright PINK!

Also, the boxes had to be sanded after the first coat of finish so they would come out smooth as glass. So after sanding 500-1000 boxes, I would have one or two less layers of skin on my finger tips.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
lIn the long run, it does make us all better men and women and adds to our own character and strengths.

Jack

Or.............. It will turn you into bitter old people

"complaints are really just others opportunities"

bring back W.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #46

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
Or.............. It will turn you into bitter old people
WHAT!!!..... And, who are you calling old??......

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I was 12 I spent a month on my hands and knees picking onions. Gave me the incentive to stay in school and get an edu-macation and taught me respect for people of different cultures. By far the worst job I've ever had.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #48
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My farther and several of his brothers were iron workers, when I graduated from highschool I truly wanted to be an iron worker so my farther got me a job with a crew working on a high rise. My job was a rivet mule, I carried two buckets of hot rivets to the guys pounding them in place. The buckets were heavy and I was walking on I beams several floors up. The worse part was the threat of being pushed off the building if I didn't hurry the hell up. When the rivets are hot it's easy to pound them in place, as they started to cool it was more work for the guys to pound in the rivets. I remember my Dad telling me if I kept doing a good job in a year or so I'd no longer be a mule. Four months latter I joined the Marines! I think it was my Dad's way to point me in a different dirrection.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #49

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

As a kid, I mowed yards and broke horses. Hard work, but fun.

However, getting through college without a wealthy family - or even a middle class family - to support me, I had a plethora of really crappy jobs. I once worked at an auto parts store in the kind of neighborhood where a white college-boy was extremely unwelcome. That job lasted about two months. I also once worked 12 hour shifts mopping piss and setting up the machines at a dialysis center on top of an 18 hour semester - that totally blew. Come to think of it, my freshman year I worked as a nurses aide at a nursing home's alzheimers floor. I was in charge of bathing and diaper changing. The latter, albeit fullfilling by helping the elderly, was a really dirty job.

The worst job I ever had, however, was the year I spent as an assistant to a podiatrist. It was my job to take xrays and clip old people's toenails. Believe me, that was awful. But, it paid well and the Doc was a really cool guy. He even helped pay for my books for a couple of semesters.

I was so thankful when I finished school and went to work as a PR exec. It was a great career while it lasted. Since joining the Army 7 years ago, I have found that I now have the greatest job on Earth. I wish I had done this from the start.

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #50

When I was 17, I worked at a saw mill. They cut trees called purple heart. The natural dye in the wood turned my hands purple. When i left there the crap didn't come off my hands for 6 months. I couldn't get a woman to even consider dating me, if they saw my hands.
But considering some of the horrible jobs writen about here. It wasn't so bad.
After all this some one should start a thread about the best jobs they have had!