Worst Job??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Worst Job??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Worst Job??

So, we all have jobs that we complain about, but what is the absolute WORST job you have ever had, and why??

When I was about 20 I got a job with a buddy working at an insulation company. Small outfit, but my buddy was making bank, at the time, and he swore that I would do the same.

Well, he was doing wall installation, called hanging bats, and his day consisted of filling a machine with fiberglass blow in insulation, or unrolling sheets of standard fiberglass and tacking in place in new homes. Pretty cake gig, and it was piecemeal, so the more insulation his two man team put in, the more money they made.

So, I get hired in and they don't have any openings in the wall department, but they have one in under the house insulation. Okay, no big deal, I am not afraid of the dark or crawling around under a house and I am getting more per piece than my buddy, so I figure I will clean up. Not to mention with all the new construction going on, I can pull into a new development, go from house to house in brand new homes, with no one living in them, and make some good coin. I blow through the 2 hours of training, this is going to be cake.

Day 1: I get to the shop and get my first assignment. It's an existing home and it's 2.5 hours drive from the shop. WTF?! I am working alone and the truck they are going to issue me has the hood up and there is a guy working on it. In addition, the air compressure powered staple gun I am supposed to use has a blown seal and they are trying to get it to work. Obviously they were REALLY prepared to have the new guy start. So, even though I arrived at 0600, I don't get on the road until almost 0900.

It's damn near noon by the time I find this place and I haven't made a red cent yet.

So, I get to the place and there is a note on the door from the owner that they had to run to the store and would be back. No big deal I figure, I can get started and they can come find me when they get home. Wrong! the damn crawl space entrance is in the master bedroom of the house. WTF?!

So, I sit on my ass for about 30 or 40 minutes after getting all my stuff layed out and the owner comes home. We chat and BS, then I get to work.

The underside of this guy's house is on a hillside, so the area under the master bedroom is tall enough to almost stand, but the other 3/4 of this place is damn tight I am practically putting the insulation up with my face. This sucks!

I work until 1800 and decide to call it a day. I get cleaned up and start home. The truck starts making some seriously awful noises and I have to pretty much limp it back to the shop at about half speed, so I don't get home, to a shower and some much needed rack time, until about 2100.

There was not a Day 2 to this story. I walked into the bosses office and told him either I work walls, or I am done. He doesn't have any openings in walls, so I quit on the spot and told him to send me my production "check".

The bastard never did send me my money, so about 2 months later, having got a job at a cabinet shop like a week later, I drove by one night with a slingshot and a couple of marbles and took out the plate glass window of the shop. I figured that made us even....

So, what is your worst job ever and how long did you last??

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I work in nursing. Occaisionally, I freelance through an agency.

I get sent to a place close to the mall where they filmed one of those "Living Dead" movies.

The joint they sent me to was filthy, and all around bad.

So a patient is walking toward me, naked, with some disorder that makes him lean completely over to one side. He had just fallen and cracked his head on the corner of a table. I have a skinny, bleeding, naked guy moaning and shuffling toward me.

Didn't go back.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I work in nursing. Occaisionally, I freelance through an agency.

I get sent to a place close to the mall where they filmed one of those "Living Dead" movies.

The joint they sent me to was filthy, and all around bad.

So a patient is walking toward me, naked, with some disorder that makes him lean completely over to one side. He had just fallen and cracked his head on the corner of a table. I have a skinny, bleeding, naked guy moaning and shuffling toward me.

Didn't go back.
Pics or I'm calling shenanigans.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

All true. I can't reveal too much, in accordance with HIPPA regulations, but it was creepy. The building had some Silent Hill type s**t going on, and it was all thoroughly unpleasant.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
All true. I can't reveal too much, in accordance with HIPPA regulations, but it was creepy. The building had some Silent Hill type s**t going on, and it was all thoroughly unpleasant.
I figured that about the HIPPA as far as the patient goes. You can't just pop in again (with a 12 guage just in case) pop a couple pictures with your camera and run before you aquire a taste for braaaaaaaains?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Some things I won't do. Gay Adult Cinema. Digging sewage lines in Indian burial grounds. And going back to that building.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 24

the worst job I've had to do so far was recycling beer bottles. it is deceptively dirty. we did it to raise money for the football team, as the town refused to fund us to start our program. every saturday for a year i went down to the dump to do the bottles. the worst one was during the summer.
Four guys showed up. we usually had twelve. on a good day it would take us about 2-3 hours to process all the stuff and get it to the turn in station. that day it took 6, not including the run to the station. then it started to get humid. and sticky. then I found out we ran out of rubber gloves. then I spilt three half finished beer bottles all over me. then i got stung by a wasp. then i cut my hand on a beer bottle. and finally, at the turn in station, i dropped a whole case of beer bottles. and unlike JD, i couldn't quit.

my dads first job was as a plumber. he had went to a trade school and landed a job with a local guy. turns out the guy was nasty to him, all the time. one day, it was about 90 outside and he was working on the roof of a house with a guy. being in a particularly foul mood, the boss made my dad get every tool he needed one at a time instead of bringing the whole toolbox up. my dad apparently wasnt working to his boss' standards, so one more time he sent him down for a tool, and he took the truck and the ladder and left the guy on the roof. he dropped the truck off at the guys office, hopped in his own car and never saw him again

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #8

Default A bad one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, we all have jobs that we complain about, but what is the absolute WORST job you have ever had, and why??

So, what is your worst job ever and how long did you last??

JD
Well, not the worst job, but one that I had to quit or go nuts.

When I was 17, I was working after school at a place doing silk-screen T-shirts. I operated one of the printers; you'd place a piece of coated paper on the base, hit the PRINT button, the top would come down, a "trowel" (for lack of a better term) would push the ink goop over the screen then run back, the top would go up, I'd peel the paper off the platform and throw it on a conveyor belt that would run it through a heater to dry the goop.

I would print about 5 copies of one design (these were for "sample" T-shirts that would be shown to school groups - bands, clubs, etc. - who would then place orders for several hundred or so). I'd then have to change the design, which took about 5 minutes: pull the old one off, clean out the excess goop, tape up a new design, run a few test copies until I got good, complete coverage, then run 5 "sample" copies. I'd do this for 3 hours a day (3pm-6PM); usually 3-4 school days a week. A big, clanking machine, sitting next to this heater pumping out 200F air at me.

The job went on into the summer (and sitting next to that oven in the summer was no fun), and near the end of July, I had a dream one night where I thought I had to clear off everything near me, because the goop was beginning to get smeared all over the place. When I woke up, my pillows were on the floor, and I had managed to push the blanket and sheets to the bottom of the bed.

I quit the next day. Told the boss that when I started doing the stuff in my sleep, that was the sign to move on. He was a bad boss; always short-tempered, never a compliment, and even gave his wife quite a beat-down for putting Scotch tape on the paneling (he worked out of his house). He did this in front of most of the employees; we were all pretty shocked at this.

Most of the employees were from my neighborhood. I think just about every kid in the neighborhood worked for this guy at some point; most stayed about 2-3 months then quit because of all the BS. He had completed dental school, but never went into practice. I guess he thought he could make more with his T-shirt business than being a dentist.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I used to do apartment service work so I have a lot of bad jobs that were just one day or even part day deals. One I’ll never forget was a call to a real slum apartment for a clogged toilet. These low life welfare moron a holes had been sh1tt1ng in the toilet even though it would not flush. It was full to the top and the whole apartment was putrid with stink. I could not get a snake through the clog and ended up having to scoop all the sh1t out of the toilet before I could pull the bowl from the floor. Turned out they’re little brat kid had flushed his GI Joe, and I had to replace the whole toilet.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Round two. Almost as bad as round one.

I was doing a service call at a restaurant, and had to check piping above the suspended ceiling tiles. I was lifting the tiles to check the direction of the pipes. When I lifted one of the tiles a large puddle of blood, bile , urine and rat sh1t poured down off the top of the tile right into my face and all over my clothes. This was closely followed by the dead rat that had been lying on top of the tile I lifted. I nearly threw up from the smell of death all over me. I had to spend an hour in the shower scrubbing with Ajax, and I threw the uniform in the trash.