Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The World's Most Interesting Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default The World's Most Interesting Thread

Okay, it's an ad to push beer.

But it's also a philosophy. Getting the most out of life. Tasting something you've never tasted. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll hate it. But when you're playing piano at that cocktail party, and the subject comes up, you have a founded opinion to share.

I propose this thread is for new experiences, great and small.

Eat something you've never eaten? Review it here.

Skydiving for the first time? Relate the experience.

I ask that each of you does something you've not done before, and post the results here. It doesn't matter if a thousand have done it before you, we want to hear of YOUR first time.

This isn't one-up or a d**k check. We want to hear of what the experience did for you. Perhaps it will serve to inspire.

Everybody eat something you've never tasted this week, and post.

And stay thirsty...for LIFE!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

This was a few moons ago but it was an interesting snack. I was with my new wife down at the open air market in Angeles City (PI). She wanted to get her hair done by the lady-boys (transvestites were VERY common) so I tagged along as I had nothing better to do. While we were waiting for her spot to open, she carted me over to a "snack bar" and said she was hungry. She conversed with the counter lady and a few minutes later this round loaf of fresh bread was put in front of her.

She takes a knife and cuts it in half and lo and behold I find it some kind of baked meat pie - and it smells great! I immediately grab a fork and take a bite and it was very tasty. She gives me this look of horror and says "Do you know what this is?" I answer, "I have no idea but it's damn tasty". As I'm about to grab another bite she tells me quietly that it's baked cat.

Learned a lesson that day that has always stuck with me:

If you try a new food and enjoy it, don't ask what's in it if you don't know...

Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Cabo and beer!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

When I was in Korea, I had several Korean Nationals who were local repair and construction techs working for me.

Everyday they would make a big production out of lunch. It was generally sweltering by 11:30 or so, so for an hour to an hour and a half they would gather around where ever they were working and everyone would begin preparing something.

They brought cook stoves from their trucks and they bought fresh veggies from road side stands and chopped them up to add to the various pots.

Several times myself and the other DoD guys would leave them be and wander off to find something in an establishment. Sometimes they would want us to join them and that became known as "Shock the Round Eye Day" to all of us from America.

So, one day we are working outside airbase K-16 and there is this little, and when I say little I mean tiny, "town" on the outside of the fence. To go back on base was a hassle, so come lunch time the guys all wanted myself and another guy to join them for lunch.

We had Kay-Go-Gi ( sp? ) for lunch that day. It was a local delicacy that was supposed to help keep the male parts strong and healthy.

It was thin strips, done over a rock fire and added to leaves with sauces and fresh veggies. Much like Bul-Go-Gi is done.

Much like NGIB's reaction, I thought it was quite tasty. It was a red meat and it was soft, not like veal, but it wasn't chewy like a steak from Royal Fork Buffet.

After the meal I was informed that I had consumed dog. Eh. It wasn't bad, I have to say. While I would not go out of my way to eat it again, I could definitely if I had to. As long as it wasn't one of my wonderful puppies.

Foreign culture. Good times.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Gentlemen,

What are you going to eat that you haven't tried yet?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1807 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 3682

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
This was a few moons ago but it was an interesting snack. I was with my new wife down at the open air market in Angeles City (PI). She wanted to get her hair done by the lady-boys (transvestites were VERY common) so I tagged along as I had nothing better to do. While we were waiting for her spot to open, she carted me over to a "snack bar" and said she was hungry. She conversed with the counter lady and a few minutes later this round loaf of fresh bread was put in front of her.

She takes a knife and cuts it in half and lo and behold I find it some kind of baked meat pie - and it smells great! I immediately grab a fork and take a bite and it was very tasty. She gives me this look of horror and says "Do you know what this is?" I answer, "I have no idea but it's damn tasty". As I'm about to grab another bite she tells me quietly that it's baked cat.

Learned a lesson that day that has always stuck with me:

If you try a new food and enjoy it, don't ask what's in it if you don't know...
Just like Osan! They called it Chicken-on-a-stick! NO! The real thing was cat-on-a-stick! TASTY!

At times base health would advise partiers to snap the sticks in-half, so the vendors not to re-use them!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

About three years ago, my wife gave me a wonderful Christmas gift. It was a flight in a T6. It included a reproduction WWII flight manual which I studied prior to the flight.

When the day of the flight arrived, the pilot gave me a walk around the aircraft and then we loaded up. We flew around the Sutter Buttes near Marysville/Yuba City.

I followed the pilot through various maneuvers, barrel rolls, loops and even an Immelman Turn. I held the stick and rudder throughout the flight and he instructed me in the process.

Then I got to perform the maneuvers while he coached me through. It was only an hour flight, but it was incredible.

It is the most thoughtful gift I've ever received. BTW, those T6's are small.

When I served in the Air Force, I was around the flight line and aircraft daily, but never had much opportunity to fly.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 05-05-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Cabo and beer!
I'd like to eat her!!!

Would that count?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

^^ That is one hell of a cool story CA. Thanks for sharing.

Great idea for a thread Benning!!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Gentlemen,

What are you going to eat that you haven't tried yet?
Hell man, I have tried lots of stuff that can be found in out of the way eateries.

gator
croc
ostrich
buffalo
bison
beefalo
octopus
seaweed
kelp
pretty much every fish you can catch in North America
dog
beaver ( the animal )
turtle ( in soup )
elk
deer
bear

I am game for trying just about anything once. I draw the line at outright RAW stuff though.

My g/f in high school had an exchange student join their family for about 3 months. She cooked a traditional Japanese meal for dinner one night and there was one dish, I can't remember what the hell it was called ( or what it was SUPPOSED ) to be, but it was awful.

It had the consistancy of wet pancake batter with lumps and stringy stuff in it. It TASTED like what I would assume wet wallpaper paste with lumps and stringy stuff in it woudl taste like, and it was raw, raw, RAW. It wasn't even room temp. It was horrible.