Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > worlds fairs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 644 Times on 508 Posts

Default worlds fairs

im old enough to remember the new york worlds fair in 64 and went to it, as well as the expo 67 in canada.

before internet, it was the way countries plugged their worth and people could visit numerous countries without world travel.

then tokyo terrorists ended worlds fairs.
fairs became targets for other countries to fight other countries.

how many of you can remember them?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Somewhere I have 8mm film of my Dad's mother at Expo 67, and a former pastor of mine was in a marching band that played the '64 Worlds Fair, I remember what a flop the Worlds Fair at Knoxville TN was.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

why was knoxville a flop? i hear that a lot.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
why was knoxville a flop? i hear that a lot.
Not really sure, after doing some reading all I can find is they had 11 million visitors, made a profit (a whole $57 when they were expecting a $5 million surplus) and left Knoxville $46 million in the hole, not really sure if that qualifies it as a "flop" then.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1612 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I lived in Queens when I was young and went to the NY '64 -'65 fair dozens of times. We got to ride in Chrysler’s turbine car.
A couple of times my brother took me over the fence before it was finished. I remember the skeleton of the GM pavilion and lots of mud.

My father was involved with the base of the Unisphere. He saw the NJ pavilion being built and that its design was faulty. He tried to warn people. No one listened to a workman speaking broken English. They didn’t know his background. The pavilion’s booms fell during construction and a workman was killed. It made him sick.

Last edited by Vincine; 02-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I lived in Queens when I was young and went to the NY '64 -'65 fair dozens of times. We got to ride in Chrysler’s turbine car.
A couple of times my brother took me over the fence before it was finished. I remember the skeleton of the GM pavilion and lots of mud.

My father was involved with the base of the Unisphere. He saw the NJ pavilion being built and that its design was faulty. He tried to warn people. No one listened to a workman speaking broken English. They didn’t know his background. The pavilion’s booms fell during construction and a workman was killed. It made him sick.
Very interesting story. What ethnicity was your Dad?

Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1612 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Very interesting story. What ethnicity was your Dad?
Sicilian; note, not Italian.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I remember going to the one in Knoxville (1981ish) as a youngster; somehow the combo of bluegrass and the Oktoberfest really worked for me.

I remember going to the one in New Orleans (1984) and really enjoying it but noticing a lot of people suffering from the heat/humidity. I grew up a couple of hours away and was able to enjoy the new riverfront stuff.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I went to the '64 Fair a few times as well. As a good Catholic boy from Brooklyn, it was mandatory to line up and walk past/view the Pieta. However I preferred anything to do with cars and pretty girls.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
Vincine Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

i signed my name and it went into the 64 nyc fairs time capsule...remember that?

i love watching men in black...just to see the old fair grounds.

Retired Naval Aviation