Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   worlds fairs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/worlds-fairs-83550/)

bobski 02-06-2013 01:10 PM

worlds fairs

im old enough to remember the new york worlds fair in 64 and went to it, as well as the expo 67 in canada.

before internet, it was the way countries plugged their worth and people could visit numerous countries without world travel.

then tokyo terrorists ended worlds fairs.
fairs became targets for other countries to fight other countries.

how many of you can remember them?

DFlynt 02-07-2013 01:18 AM

Somewhere I have 8mm film of my Dad's mother at Expo 67, and a former pastor of mine was in a marching band that played the '64 Worlds Fair, I remember what a flop the Worlds Fair at Knoxville TN was.

bobski 02-07-2013 01:49 AM

why was knoxville a flop? i hear that a lot.

DFlynt 02-07-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1127160)
why was knoxville a flop? i hear that a lot.

Not really sure, after doing some reading all I can find is they had 11 million visitors, made a profit (a whole $57 when they were expecting a $5 million surplus) and left Knoxville $46 million in the hole, not really sure if that qualifies it as a "flop" then. :confused:

Vincine 02-07-2013 01:46 PM

I lived in Queens when I was young and went to the NY '64 -'65 fair dozens of times. We got to ride in Chrysler’s turbine car.
A couple of times my brother took me over the fence before it was finished. I remember the skeleton of the GM pavilion and lots of mud.

My father was involved with the base of the Unisphere. He saw the NJ pavilion being built and that its design was faulty. He tried to warn people. No one listened to a workman speaking broken English. They didn’t know his background. The pavilion’s booms fell during construction and a workman was killed. It made him sick.

winds-of-change 02-07-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 1127658)
I lived in Queens when I was young and went to the NY '64 -'65 fair dozens of times. We got to ride in Chryslerís turbine car.
A couple of times my brother took me over the fence before it was finished. I remember the skeleton of the GM pavilion and lots of mud.

My father was involved with the base of the Unisphere. He saw the NJ pavilion being built and that its design was faulty. He tried to warn people. No one listened to a workman speaking broken English. They didnít know his background. The pavilionís booms fell during construction and a workman was killed. It made him sick.

Very interesting story. What ethnicity was your Dad?

Vincine 02-07-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1127740)
Very interesting story. What ethnicity was your Dad?

Sicilian; note, not Italian.

orangello 02-07-2013 07:17 PM

I remember going to the one in Knoxville (1981ish) as a youngster; somehow the combo of bluegrass and the Oktoberfest really worked for me.

I remember going to the one in New Orleans (1984) and really enjoying it but noticing a lot of people suffering from the heat/humidity. I grew up a couple of hours away and was able to enjoy the new riverfront stuff.

CA357 02-07-2013 07:27 PM

I went to the '64 Fair a few times as well. As a good Catholic boy from Brooklyn, it was mandatory to line up and walk past/view the Pieta. However I preferred anything to do with cars and pretty girls.

bobski 02-08-2013 01:38 AM

i signed my name and it went into the 64 nyc fairs time capsule...remember that?

i love watching men in black...just to see the old fair grounds.