In the world news today More banned weapons in the UK

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > In the world news today More banned weapons in the UK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default In the world news today More banned weapons in the UK

Restaurant refuses to give diner toothpick 'as they are too dangerous' | Mail Online

Restaurant refuses to give diner toothpick 'as they are too dangerous'By Liz Hull

First it was coffee mornings, with their hot drinks that were deemed too dangerous.

Then home-made biscuits and sponge cakes were banned from hospitals and primary schools because they posed a health risk.
Today it was the turn of the humble toothpick to fall foul of the health and safety police.

Killjoy staff at a luxury hotel chain are refusing to provide customers with toothpicks after dinner because they could be ''potentially dangerous', it has emerged.

Retired deputy headteacher John Freeman had enjoyed a £70-a-head meal at the Macdonald Portal Golf and Spa Hotel, in Tarporley, Cheshire, to celebrate New Year's Eve when he realised he had a piece of rib-eye steak stuck in his molars.

But when he called over the waiter to ask for assistance, Mr Freeman was astonished by his response.

'The waiter apologised but said he was not allowed to give me a toothpick for health and safety reasons,' Mr Freeman, 63, said.

'I asked him if he was joking, but he said it wasn't April 1 and that there weren't any in the hotel.

'I told him it was nonsense and asked to speak to the manager to request an explanation – indicating, at the same time, that there were 14 very dangerous metal knives and forks on my table that had been unsupervised for at least two hours.

'She took the point and agreed the situation was ludicrous at best, but assured me there had been a directive from head office not to provide toothpicks because they are potentially dangerous.'

Mr Freeman, of Eaton, Cheshire, was at the hotel with his wife, Jan, also 63 and a retired teacher, and a group of friends.

He said he was so incensed with the hotel's response that he wrote a letter to the Health and Safety Executive complaining about the rule. His complaints have since been passed onto his local council who are investigating the matter.

He added: 'It's such nonsense. It is the sort of thing which is making this country unlivable.

'Health and safety and political correctness are driving this country into a corner. It just seems ridiculous that hotel like this would behave in such a way.''

Dentist Ray McNamara said there was nothing more 'maddening' than having a piece of food stuck in your teeth.

He said: 'This doesn’t surprise me in this health and safety age. I suppose they are worried about people flicking their crowns out or injuring themselves and then blaming the hotel.

'My suggestion would be for restaurants to have a roll of dental floss available for people to use – I don’t think you can injure yourself with floss.'
Meanwhile, a seaside resort has cancelled its annual fun day after children were banned from riding in the donkey derby because of health and safety fears.

Organisers were forced to stop children riding the animals because they were worried they could get sued if one of them had an accident.

In November, the Daily Mail also reported how fundraisers had been banned from donating cakes to their local hospital for health and safety reasons.
Friends of Royston Hospital, Hertfordshire, refused to accept the cakes because they could not be sure exactly what was in them and were worried diabetics could have eaten them by mistake.

In June last year, pensioners in Eye, Cambridgeshire, were also banned from holding a coffee morning at a public library in case hot drinks were spilled on visiting children.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is where it leads. Complete idiocy.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

While that is from the Daily Mail which is like our National Enquirer nothing coming out of England surprises me anymore.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This has to be a joke, right? Like maybe the Onion? Even the Brits aren't that stupid, right? Now, if it was the French...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

To be fair the guy in the picture looks insane, I don't want him having a toothpick or rocket propelled grenade launcher or any other deadly weapon.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
This has to be a joke, right? Like maybe the Onion? Even the Brits aren't that stupid, right? Now, if it was the French...

I wish it was CA...but no! it's a (kinda anyway) legit news site. Just when you thought things couldn't get any more insane in the UK...they go and get the jump on you

Quote:
'My suggestion would be for restaurants to have a roll of dental floss available for people to use – I don’t think you can injure yourself with floss.'
Hey, wait a freakin minute! Dental floss??

Could be a superior garrotting tool IMO

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #7

Nothing new about this. I was in boston two years ago and was told the same thing by a waitress. No tooth picks as they are dangerous.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Yes, the Brits can be (and generally are) that stupid. But you are correct in that only the French can make the Brits look smart!

I qualify my remarks above by stating the the term "Brits" above is intended to identify the (very proper) Englishmen, and not the Scots or Irish who generally have a lot more sense and who are much better folks to deal with.

I speak from much personal experience!

TXnorton